Sponsored by:

993 pricing = insane??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:35 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by GlengarryGR
I can only speculate C4s are more desirable than other variants.
And this is because?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^ my guess is the old turbo without the turbo appeal. Wide hips without the expense of a TT or
C2S. + the AWD. that's my guess anyway....
Old 07-22-2013, 09:29 PM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default great conversation

@Pags993
Wow; didn't realize the limited supply in Canada.

@nile13 "A 993 is just an old car. It holds no interest en masse."
Very interesting take! I asked my (Chinese) wife and she agreed with you. She echoed your thoughts about the affluent (at least Chinese) preferring a brand new Porsche over anything used. Then she called my 993 an old man's car. LOL. I can see your point, but as you said maybe "a few might have an interest in a 993"...still consider the population who cannot afford a new 991, but want to race or indeed dare to be different...or, to the point of the article, get involved in classics or collection. But I see your strong point; it may take 15-20 years. Great alternative view. Nonetheless, the fact that this single-point specialty/collector car dealership sells 40% of his inventory to overseas buyers supports the postulate that foreign buyers may add to 993 price inflation, or at least keep prices buoyant.

@TimothyM
I can tell by your response that my hunch of more snow/ice = greater demand for C4 may be wrong-headed. Given the weight above the rear wheels...the C2 is as good as the C4 on winter roads? It was just my assumption.

Last edited by GlengarryGR; 07-24-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

AWD trumps 2 wheel drive in snow or other slippery conditions. Proper tires trumps all drivetrain configurations.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:58 PM
jjplaw
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very interesting discussion as I have had a tough time setting value on my 1995 C4 Cab (52K miles) - do you expect these cars to increase after year 20 (2015)?
Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 AM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

All you guys who are listening to old Rolling Stones records really need to check out The Hold Steady's "Boys and Girls in America" album when going out for a Sunday cruise, and "Constructive Summer" from their "Stay Positive" record when heading to the track.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:07 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
All you guys who are listening to old Rolling Stones records really need to check out The Hold Steady's "Boys and Girls in America" album when going out for a Sunday cruise, and "Constructive Summer" from their "Stay Positive" record when heading to the track.
Nah. Stones + Race Track =

(Too young to have been there, but the Hells Angel's clubhouse was about 3 miles from where I grew up.)
Old 06-11-2014, 04:06 PM
BlackCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading all these posts, my brain hurts. It's like listening to talking heads debate on CNN or Fox. I don't know if my 993 will increase in value, decrease, or follow the trend line for pork futures. But I do know this. My 993 is fun to drive, even after owning it for 15 years. It runs great and makes a wonderful sound. No one has mistaken it for a Hyundai or Honda. In fact, people frequently say "nice car" in parking lots or gas stations. My son's friends (20s) saw the car in my garage and called it a "bad boy" that they wanted to drive (no way). Maybe in a few years they'd have the money to buy one. Conclusion: If you want an investment, go to Scottrade and look at some ETFs. But you know all this, so never mind.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:11 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCar
After reading all these posts, my brain hurts. It's like listening to talking heads debate on CNN or Fox. I don't know if my 993 will increase in value, decrease, or follow the trend line for pork futures. But I do know this. My 993 is fun to drive, even after owning it for 15 years. It runs great and makes a wonderful sound. No one has mistaken it for a Hyundai or Honda. In fact, people frequently say "nice car" in parking lots or gas stations. My son's friends (20s) saw the car in my garage and called it a "bad boy" that they wanted to drive (no way). Maybe in a few years they'd have the money to buy one. Conclusion: If you want an investment, go to Scottrade and look at some ETFs. But you know all this, so never mind.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Caymanman1970
Intermediate

Am a new owner of a Cayman but always wanted a RS America 964 to keep. To me it is one of the coolest cars around. Will be searching the forum for listings/info.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:09 AM
DrewskiOne
Rennlist Member

Having just read through the entire eight pages of this thread (throughly enjoyed... covering a year's time), it's interesting to see that the prices have in fact continued going up. My own Porsche preoccupation started with the Panamera. I had the opportunity to drive a few times. The acceleration and driving experience was so smooth and effortless I thought, "am I really **driving** this machine?" It was so easy. Perhaps too easy. A great car but... I then changed my search to what I was looking for in a driving experience and have ever since badly wanted to own a 993. My mea culpa is that, I have never even been in one! (My wife thinks I'm a bit crazy.) That said, I have been doing lots of research which has only piqued my interest. So why the preoccupation? I crave a connection to an auto that is more than just a speed daemon, but rather is **working** to achieve speed all the while transmitting the feel of the road back to me the driver. I hope that the 993 is such a car. Hopefully I'll have a chance to find out soon enough. If it is, well, then I would be willing to pay to have the experience on an on-going basis. Could this be part of the price appreciation in the 993s? If so, perhaps the cars that are being made today are too refined?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:11 AM
CHJ
Instructor

I've had 15 Porsches but mostly pre-'85, 2 997s and a 991. I wanted to get an air cooled before they got out of sight and narrowed the search down to 964 and 993. Personally, I like the 964 front fenders better, but everything else turned me to the 993. Technically, it seems like the better car but I'm thinking it might be one of those things where it's too far ahead and the purists don't consider it a "real" 911. I noticed Hagerty doesn't even list the 963. Does anyone know the reason for that? Is the 993 not as popular as the 964?

CHJ
Old 07-07-2014, 10:26 AM
dboeren
Advanced

I was also wavering between the 964 and 993, and interestingly enough one of my small points against the 993 was also the front appearance. The rear end looks great though! I don't see anything less "pure" about the 993. In what way is it not real? It's still an air cooled "classic" 911 in my eyes. Rather, I think you can view it as the pinnacle of the "real" 911's. But, you have to choose with your heart. If you're worried about OTHER people thinking it's not real, I would disregard that. But if you feel like YOU would have nagging doubts about it, then you may want to go with the 964 instead.

Anyway, I ended up going with the 993. Honestly though, it could easily have been determined just by which generation had the "right" car turn up for sale first.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ
I've had 15 Porsches but mostly pre-'85, 2 997s and a 991. I wanted to get an air cooled before they got out of sight and narrowed the search down to 964 and 993. Personally, I like the 964 front fenders better, but everything else turned me to the 993. Technically, it seems like the better car but I'm thinking it might be one of those things where it's too far ahead and the purists don't consider it a "real" 911. I noticed Hagerty doesn't even list the 963. Does anyone know the reason for that? Is the 993 not as popular as the 964?

CHJ
I'd say it is just the opposite.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:56 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewskiOne
Having just read through the entire eight pages of this thread (throughly enjoyed... covering a year's time), it's interesting to see that the prices have in fact continued going up. My own Porsche preoccupation started with the Panamera. I had the opportunity to drive a few times. The acceleration and driving experience was so smooth and effortless I thought, "am I really **driving** this machine?" It was so easy. Perhaps too easy. A great car but... I then changed my search to what I was looking for in a driving experience and have ever since badly wanted to own a 993. My mea culpa is that, I have never even been in one! (My wife thinks I'm a bit crazy.) That said, I have been doing lots of research which has only piqued my interest. So why the preoccupation? I crave a connection to an auto that is more than just a speed daemon, but rather is **working** to achieve speed all the while transmitting the feel of the road back to me the driver. I hope that the 993 is such a car. Hopefully I'll have a chance to find out soon enough. If it is, well, then I would be willing to pay to have the experience on an on-going basis. Could this be part of the price appreciation in the 993s? If so, perhaps the cars that are being made today are too refined?

I had never driven a 993 when I bought ours. Always wanted one -- but they were too pricey. Then I saw the wheelers dealers 993 episode and decided to do a search and found one reasonably priced in my home town.

Checked it out -- made an offer and closed the deal.

I still haven't driven it -- I've only sat in it long enough to start the engine, show the wife how the top works -- and replace a light bulb. Someday I might actually experience how the 993 drives :-)

Mike

Quick Reply: 993 pricing = insane??