Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 is gone, but I'm sticking around

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the two vintages porsche are great! Surprised you didnt attempt to keep the 993TT as it too will follow suit as a 911 classic.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Jabberwocky
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
the two vintages porsche are great! Surprised you didnt attempt to keep the 993TT as it too will follow suit as a 911 classic.
I agree with your statement re the TT going down the classic road, along with the C2S and RS (obviously). My opinion is that the air cooled cars in particular are being driven by a few interesting drivers, be it:

1. the Gen Xers (my generation) coming in to disposable income and wanting to finally have the car that was on their bedroom wall.

2. the Magnus Walker effect - bringing a "cool" new edge to the marque

3. current monetary policy which makes hard assets more desirable

4. 964/993 specific - classic looks combined with basic safety features (abs, air bags)

5. the 1973 2.7 RS effect - massive price increase over past 10 yrs, which has lifted all long hood prices substantially, thereby displacing some potential buyers into the later yr 911s.

I'm sure there are other reasons. As to why I sold, simple answer was that I wasn't driving it. With less than 20K on the odo, I knew it would have more value to someone looking for a garage queen. I like making "patina" and this car was too nice for that. As an example, the all original 67S that I have has over 140K on the odo and gets flogged annually to the tune of 5-6k miles (i'd put on more but w/o A/C, the Texas summers blow right thru my Brut deodorant.

With all that said, I am of the belief that the current fixation on mileage with the 993 family will fade somewhat once we get around the 25 yr mark, similar to what has happened with the previous series. So, one day I'll hopefully jump back in again.

Sorry for the long winded answer.....John
Old 07-18-2013, 03:14 PM
GlengarryGR
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

LOL. GGGR; that movie is my #2 of off time, beaten only by Seabiscuit. My favorite GGGR line is "PUT. THAT COFFEE. DOWN." And, Jack Lemmon/Shelly Levine's line when he made a sale: Get the chalk. Hey! Get the chalk... get the chalk! I did it! I closed 'em! I closed the **********. Get the chalk, put me on the board, John. Put me on the Cadillac board, huh? Pick up the ****in' chalk! Rick. Eight units. Mountain View. A must see for anyone even remotely involved in sales.

The grey lockers for garage storage are sold at Home Depot...they have some crap but these were their higher-line brand and pretty cheap. I can't recall but it was less than a plane ticket from DC to LA.

I spoke to my friend in France last night. He said the price on that specific bike ranges from $40k to $60k based on things I am not to clear about but I'd guess pedigree/history/% of parts original/condition...you know the Usual Suspects...(another fun movie). Maybe you can PM me your email address, and I'll make introduction via email to you both.

Just remember this; the Vincent you describe? It is for closers only.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Jabberwocky
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GlengarryGR

Just remember this; the Vincent you describe? It is for closers only.
I am putting the coffee down now. Would definitely appreciate the intro to yr overseas friend. I'll shoot you a PM w/ email.

John

Quick Reply: 993 is gone, but I'm sticking around