993 Forum 1995-1998

Immobilizer issue HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Immobilizer issue HELP!

My remote was acting weird, so I changed the battery in it. Now, the light comes on when you push the button, but the car doesn't flash the leds on the doors signaling it receiving. I tried the second remote, same result.
My car is a 95, OBD1, so i did the hold the gas pedal down and turn on the key trick. CEL Flashes once, pause, 5 times, pause repeats...Is that code 1515? or just 15? cant find either....
Anyone have any ideas? Obviously, car won't start because of the immobilizer...
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

Excuse the obvious but is battery (car) fully charged? Mine did somewhat similar when
Battery connections got corroded invisibly I might add...Bert
Old 07-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

It started three times today with no issues. Lights and alarm horn are strong...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

FIXED!
looking back through old threads that didn't come up with search, but did on google....(????)
I went out and giggled the ignition key a few times. Hooked up the battery and the remote worked immediately...
After 6 years of daily driving, I still learn something new each month about these cars.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 281 Posts

"Giggled the ignition key a few times"??? Do you mean giggled the key in the ignition switch? Is this an indication that your switch contacts are going bad...or that it's "possessed"? If "possessed", is there a secret incantation?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

I'm not really sure what is going on in there. I was able to remove my ignition key, however the remote wouldn't lock the car. I took this as a sign of failing battery in the remote. I changed the remote battery. Then the car wouldn't respond to the remote at all.The immobilizer light was lit on the clock face. I tried unhooking the battery, waiting, and the re-attaching it to reset the system. Still no response from the remote. I locked the doors using the key in the handle. The sytem armed. I unlocked the doors with the key in the handle and set off the alarm. I unhooked the battery to turn it off.
Started reading some old threads about the ignition switch on here. Went out and re-inserted my key into the ignition and ran it in and out a few times. Also made sure it was all the way back into position 1 (off.) I then re-attached the battery. The alarm sounded immediately, but i pressed the button on the remote and it silenced. Car works normally now.
I can only guess that something in the ingnition key switch got out of sequence. I'm the kind of guy who is very gentle with all of the controls in the car. I'm thinking that I removed the key before it was all the way back into position 1 and that got things out of sequence. I then made it worse woith the door key...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on your car?
Lots of short trips as a DD?

Gordo
Old 07-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Sure sounds like a failing ignition switch to me,.....

I'm going through the same thing with another client.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:46 AM
993/907
Pro

I posted my ignition woes on here a couple years ago.
Symptoms similar to those noted by Falcondriver.

We suspect the keyway (not sure what it is called, the slot the key fits into) was so worn it was sending hinky signals to the immob module and cooked it.

Replaced the keyway/steering wheel lock and immob module, been fine ever since.

Gordo
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Gordo,
Just approaching 172K... They just don't make 'em like they used to.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:57 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Gordo,
Just approaching 172K... They just don't make 'em like they used to.
And tight as a drum I might add...........
Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM
993/907
Pro

Well, no wonder Falcon!
Mine went TU at about 75k, shop said the ignition looked like it had 172k worth of wear.

Gordo
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I'm not really sure what is going on in there. I was able to remove my ignition key, however the remote wouldn't lock the car. I took this as a sign of failing battery in the remote. I changed the remote battery. Then the car wouldn't respond to the remote at all.The immobilizer light was lit on the clock face. I tried unhooking the battery, waiting, and the re-attaching it to reset the system. Still no response from the remote. I locked the doors using the key in the handle. The sytem armed. I unlocked the doors with the key in the handle and set off the alarm. I unhooked the battery to turn it off.
Started reading some old threads about the ignition switch on here. Went out and re-inserted my key into the ignition and ran it in and out a few times. Also made sure it was all the way back into position 1 (off.) I then re-attached the battery. The alarm sounded immediately, but i pressed the button on the remote and it silenced. Car works normally now.
I can only guess that something in the ingnition key switch got out of sequence. I'm the kind of guy who is very gentle with all of the controls in the car. I'm thinking that I removed the key before it was all the way back into position 1 and that got things out of sequence. I then made it worse woith the door key...
By coincidence, I experienced the same symptoms this morning. At first, was thinking about doing what you did, but thought it wiser to check Renny first for some direction. Did a search on "immobilizer" and your thread was not only the first one, but fit my issue to a "T"! (Is this a great place, or what?!)

Didn't jiggle the key in the ignition, but did everything else you described and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for taking a moment to post your results.

I am also gentle on equipment and the car only has 47K (mostly highway) miles, so I'm thinking (actually, hoping) that it can't be the ignition. Steve might come along and burst my bubble on that, though.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Jupiterfish
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

i just picked up my 993, and this feature scares me the most. locking and unlocking the car to start seem like a waste of battery and will eventually wear out the keyfob battery leaving me stranded. i have 2 sets of fobs now the other doesn't work (assuming the 5 day non-use lockout?) i need to get an owners manual so i can read up on these (for less than $120 hopefully)
Old 07-23-2013, 02:08 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiterfish
i just picked up my 993, and this feature scares me the most. locking and unlocking the car to start seem like a waste of battery and will eventually wear out the keyfob battery leaving me stranded. i have 2 sets of fobs now the other doesn't work (assuming the 5 day non-use lockout?) i need to get an owners manual so i can read up on these (for less than $120 hopefully)
You don't need to lock and unlock the doors to start the car. Put the key in the ignition, turn the key to the "run" position. Press the "lock/unlock" button on the fob. The immobilizer warning light in the dash will go off. Now start your car. We call it the "immobilizer dance".

My spare fob will work even after years of non-use.

Quick Reply: Immobilizer issue HELP!