Sponsored by:

New car and a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:33 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
My statements are not contradictory as they have nothing to do with each other. I just like the look of the car without the guards as I said. Was just recounting the story of how I came to that conclusion

My repaint was about $200 for one panel so do the math for 2. Not that difficult. I actually did the math and it works for me. It's a personal thing and if you like the guards knock yourself out

PS ANY brush no matter how soft will mar the paint so you need to correct the paint again and rewax. Repeat ad nauseam
I followed your post and I felt for you and the issues you dealt with in removing your stone guards. I also support your decision/right to do as you please with your car; I just dont agree with your final analysis.

P.S. In following your post, I couldnt help but think that maybe your haunches had been resprayed previously, and that possibly the stone guards may have been installed without allowing the paint to cure sufficiently; which resulted in nightmare you worked through...Just my thoughts.

Dont know what brush you use around your stone guards, but I have no issue with paint when removing wax around my clear bra and stone guards.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome and congratulations on the purchase Rich. What's the mileage on the beast ? As others have mentioned, I would advise putting them back on, we offer the OE ones. For more information Click Here. Enjoy, you have a stunning looking car and would love to see a few more pictures when you get a chance.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I suggest you put the protection on ASAP. I have a C2S. Narrow body fender guards were installed less than a day (maybe hours) after a pretty thoroughly botched repaint. I'm reluctant to try to take them off as I expect them to pull the paint off too. But I already have rock chips above the top edge.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:55 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had mine replace a few years ago and wouldn't you know it, I had a rock bounce up and chipped a section that wasn't protected! Oh well, just adding to the original patina of a 15-year old car!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
I followed your post and I felt for you and the issues you dealt with in removing your stone guards. I also support your decision/right to do as you please with your car; I just dont agree with your final analysis.

P.S. In following your post, I couldnt help but think that maybe your haunches had been resprayed previously, and that possibly the stone guards may have been installed without allowing the paint to cure sufficiently; which resulted in nightmare you worked through...Just my thoughts.

Dont know what brush you use around your stone guards, but I have no issue with paint when removing wax around my clear bra and stone guards.
No problem as i dont agree with your final analysis either

Its quite possible it was repainted before, who knows at this point. But one side is repainted now and I like the clean look so going to stick with it for now. May come to regret it but have got a few miles on it now and no damage.

re the wax issue, i find that no matter how diligent you are with wax etc it is still obvious that there are stone guards on and i think it detracts from the clean lines on the flanks/*** which is the best visual aspect of the car .

Again, just one mans opinion
Old 07-16-2013, 04:04 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
I had mine replace a few years ago and wouldn't you know it, I had a rock bounce up and chipped a section that wasn't protected! Oh well, just adding to the original patina of a 15-year old car!
That was kind of my original point re the stone guards. Unless you fully wrap the car, shiite happens. It may happen more often on the wheel arches but it DOES happen elsewhere. Guys obsess with the stone guards but the front end, in my opinion, suffers way more damage, and most do not wrap the front. Now if Porsche had put a front end wrap on as OE then I am sure everyone would say that its an absolute MUST have......
Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

In spirited driving, particularly track, mountains and desert, the stone guards will stop stones thrown by the front wheels. Milder driving, probably not as much.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 PM
1st State 993
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm convinced. They are going back on!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 PM
techsis
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1st State 993
I'm convinced. They are going back on!
Good call & welcome...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Get them from FDMotorsports.com. Replace them every 2 years and they come off really easily...
Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 AM
DFC4S
Racer

I thought that the OE Porsche ones only comes in clear these days, looks like you have the Arctic OE which is what I'm looking for!

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Welcome and congratulations on the purchase Rich. What's the mileage on the beast ? As others have mentioned, I would advise putting them back on, we offer the OE ones. For more information Click Here. Enjoy, you have a stunning looking car and would love to see a few more pictures when you get a chance.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:24 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

I had my stone guards removed recently when installing a pair of RS sideskirts. This was done by the company that painted and mounted the sideskirts, and I was really anxious about this after reading several horror-stories on the subject in here. My old stone guards were a little yellowish and I'm sure they have been sitting there for quite a while, but they went off pretty easily. The guy at the paintshop told me that he prepped the old guards with a heatgun before removal, and they were off in less than 15 minutes(!). The old guards had quite a few scratches and marks, so I'm sure they have been doing their job for some time.

Congrats on the car BTW! Looks really nice!

Quick Reply: New car and a question