Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnose this gnarly noise from my engine (video link)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:07 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Mark thank you for writing

And I promise to return ur golden rod core ASAP
Old 07-05-2013, 01:11 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Mark thank you for writing

And I promise to return ur golden rod core ASAP
no worries!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:29 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Update.
the alternator shaft is stripped and not serviceable. The mechanic seems to think the pulley wheels were making the noise and not a bearing. There was no evidence of the fan hitting the shroud and all the bearings look good.

So his recommendation is a new alternator (reman) in exchange for my core. given the circumstances im ok with that.

what has me worried is why the shaft got messed up to begin with...i dont want the situation to repeat itself... im 100% certain i used the crows foot at 90 degrees and properly torqued that nut to 50nm....

edit. just checked my torque wrench, it is dead on.
maybe i had the thing set to 50 ft lbs? but i cant see how that would damage the shaft either? maybe the mechanic didnt fully diagnose the alternator and just saw the shaft was jacked up, blamed it on that, called it a day, said i needed a reman....

Last edited by EMBPilot; 07-12-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

hopped on the train today to take the 2 hour train ride north and retrieve my alternator from where my car is...
long story short. i get to Quads place where my car is in his garage. call the shop that said theyd have everything done friday... they told me they were unable to finish it.

the bearing in the fan hub was frozen. and according to the tech was noisy, needed to be changed, but was stuck. so they had to order a new fan bearing. took the train back home after beers... alternator should now be done on monday.

what's frustrating the hell out of me is chasing these people for information. my alternator was dropped off at 10am friday april 5th. i called them twice a day on 9th & 10th, and never even got a single phone call back, or any information about it until friday the 12th. when they told me "they were just getting to looking at it". ive done a pretty good job keeping my cool but my rope is starting to get short.

i guess im glad they are changing the fan bearing though. but had this happened and the car was in my garage my approach to the entire situation would have been much different, i would have handled everything myself rather than just dumping it off at a p-car indy... it would have been far less annoying.

i said "so was it the fan bearing or the alternator making the noise?" he said, "it was def the alternator" (even though the other guy said it was the pulleys), but "the fan bearing still didnt sound right and needed to be changed"... uh ok...

remember when we cut the alternator belt, the noise completely went away... whatever, id just like my **** back....

Last edited by EMBPilot; 07-14-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:59 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

my alternator was dropped off at 10am friday april 5th. i called them twice a day on 9th & 10th, and never even got a single phone call back, or any information about it until friday the 12th. ...

Kevin,

Your patience has been tested and all these repair issues will be behind you soon. How about a month on "no mods" and some nice drives instead. Just for clarification, the month is July!

Mark
Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

whatever, id just like my **** back....
fingers crossed dude.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

My alternator was supposed to be done today. After more logistical gymnastics regarding transportation, here I am without my alternator... Again. Shop said they were sent the wrong part, and that "when they installed the new bearing it was making noise", and that "it'll be done tomorrow" lol
Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Simply unbelievable!

How some stay in business is beyond me.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

Old 07-15-2013, 09:52 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

If this guy is telling me he's installing a fan hub bearing, that is not available on the market, what do you do?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

If this guy is telling me he's installing a fan hub bearing, that is not available on the market, what do you do?
Pray!

The bearing itself isn't. He is likely referring to the bearing and hub which are sold as an assembly. But why would a new one be noisy...off the car and unloaded, how is he determining that.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

No. He was pretty clear that "the bearing supplier" sent the wrong bearing and when they installed it "it made noise" and " wasn't right". That they were sent the "wrong part". Those were their exact words. So now I'm suspecting tomorrow will be round 3 of SSDD....
Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

No. He was pretty clear that "the bearing supplier" sent the wrong bearing and when they installed it "it made noise" and " wasn't right". That they were sent the "wrong part". Those were their exact words. So now I'm suspecting tomorrow will be round 3 of SSDD....
Kevin,
As Alex mentioned earlier, the sealed bearing itself is as rare as hen's teeth. That said, I've purchased a few of the fan bearing 'assemblies' from Sunset over the years. I think the price ranges from $100 - $140, and for that you get the entire piece that presses into the fan. If your shop is claiming that they are replacing the sealed bearing that's within this machined steel 'assembly', I call bull****...

Andreas
Old 07-15-2013, 10:58 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

That's Andreas
I'm getting the feeling I should just collect my parts and take them home. Finish this on my own. Ill report back.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:04 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts

That's Andreas
I'm getting the feeling I should just collect my parts and take them home. Finish this on my own. Ill report back.
Wow sorry about the troubles. I feel for you. Nothing worse than sitting in limbo.
--Michael

Quick Reply: Help diagnose this gnarly noise from my engine (video link)