Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Puff of Smoke at Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:03 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Based on the "knowledge" of the Amsoil dealers I've seen, I'm certainly not taking their recommendation on what oil/weight to use in my 993.

If they sold tires, they probably would say tires are still good after 8 or 10 years, as long as you keep them filled with Nitrogen.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:25 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AKTUNG
Unbelievable how you managed to misinterpret what was meant on the sites you referenced.Here is a hint. A porsche is a Eureopean car with a gasoline engine. Some of you guys are so busy finding ways to criticize that you have lost perspective . Fortunately you are few in numbers. Heres another opportunity to do what you love. Have at it . Thanks to those who made helpful comments.
You are entitled to your opinion. If you believe Amsoil is the best oil for your car, and 5-40 is the best viscosity. That is fine with me.

Yes, a Porsche is a European Gasoline engine, so is a Fiat. The point is that Amsoil has a different oil that they claim is for High Performance engines.

So my misinterpretation is that I always thought that Porsche 911 motors were considered high performance, my bad. Porsches are not high performance, according to the information on Amsoil's website, otherwise a search for recommended oil would result in a recommendation for the high performance engine oil.

Last edited by Kika; 06-29-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I wonder if the OP sells amsoil because he sure mentions it constantly.
Thanks Quadhammer.

OP: where's your big boy disclaimer on every post? Big boy time.

PS. A the time of this post Walmart in Avon/Vail Colorado has Mobil 1 20/50w ooops , (edit 15/50w) a PAG factory oil fill, on sale at $21.99 USD for a 5qt container. Such a deal . . .

OP: the initial brief puff of smoke when starting the engine is a sure sign of a complete failure of the valve guide oil seals. An expensive fix - sell the car. LoL.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,401 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
PS. A the time of this post Walmart in Avon/Vail Colorado has Mobil 1 20/50w, a PAG factory oil fill, on sale at $21.99 USD for a 5qt container. Such a deal . . .
Probably 15W50. The only Mobil 20W50 I am aware of is the V-Twin, which is on sale now at AutoZone for $2 OFF.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:25 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
You are entitled to your opinion. If you believe Amsoil is the best oil for your car, and 5-40 is the best viscosity. That is fine with me.

Yes, a Porsche is a European Gasoline engine, so is a Fiat. The point is that Amsoil has a different oil that they claim is for High Performance engines.

So my misinterpretation is that I always thought that Porsche 911 motors were considered high performance, my bad. Porsches are not high performance, according to the information on Amsoil's website, otherwise a search for recommended oil would result in a recommendation for the high performance engine oil.
Ican see that you are still missing the point and some others would rather be critical rather than see another view point If you take the totality of the website and cannot determine that Amsoil considers all European cars and some others as high performance then there is no reason to discuss it further. Have it your way.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Emmanuel
Advanced

They all smoke after sitting for a while, that's the nature of the beast. Elevated oil tank and no sump. As long as it goes away after a few seconds, don't worry about it!
E
Old 06-29-2013, 04:35 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta love this place. This thread totally didn't go the way OP hoped... lol.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:42 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
They all smoke after sitting for a while, that's the nature of the beast. Elevated oil tank and no sump. As long as it goes away after a few seconds, don't worry about it!
E
Thanks. I kinda figured that. Enough comments have added validity to it. Appreciate the advice.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by niche
Gotta love this place. This thread totally didn't go the way OP hoped... lol.
I see a pattern...
Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,401 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
They all smoke after sitting for a while,
No they don't.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:29 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course the air/oil-cooled flat six in our cars is pretty much exactly like all other 'European' manufacturers' gasoline engines...

5w40 in 90 degree weather? Yeah, good luck with that.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My 993 has never smoked on start up or at any other time. It has sat for up to 6 months (poor car, I know), and started up without a puff of smoke. That oil got into the cylinder(s) somehow. If I was AKTUNG I would rebuild the top end. Probably new rings as well. Then change oils. But as AKTUNG has said in the past, oil is optional..........as long as a thin film remains.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobboinski
My 993 has never smoked on start up or at any other time. It has sat for up to 6 months (poor car, I know), and started up without a puff of smoke. That oil got into the cylinder(s) somehow. If I was AKTUNG I would rebuild the top end. Probably new rings as well. Then change oils. But as AKTUNG has said in the past, oil is optional..........as long as a thin film remains.
Excellent advice. He has also said that tires can age indefinitely with Nitrogen fills, and proper storage. I, for one, am thankful for his knowledge, and am seriously considering a change to 5W40 oil, as we now know he is an Amway....errrr.....Amsoil distributor.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Excellent advice. He has also said that tires can age indefinitely with Nitrogen fills, and proper storage. I, for one, am thankful for his knowledge, and am seriously considering a change to 5W40 oil, as we now know he is an Amway....errrr.....Amsoil distributor.
Just keep those tires in the shade so the ozone doesn't get them. And a pyramid is a pyramid, Am... whatever. I tried so hard to stay out of this.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bobboinski
I tried so hard to stay out of this.
I know exactly how you feel....

Quick Reply: Puff of Smoke at Start Up