993 Forum 1995-1998

DIY - Changing Lower Valve Cover Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:30 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
I moved it to the lift, and the following day reached up to find the pool of oil on the heat exchanger.
Mine weren't that bad, just oily and after taking the heat exchangers off, I noticed both of them had a film of oil and dirt on the insides.

For the record, now four summers later, the new set of upper and lower valve cover rubber seals are still keeping it all bone dry.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:56 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The corrosion coatings on any fastener that you find at home depot or lowes is thinner than thinly possible (i.e. garbage). And it would never come remotely close to passing even a Hugo/Tata fastener spec. And try to avoid black oxide, it's pretty much useless as a corrosion coating on anything exposed to the elements.
Good point
Quality replacements are <$1 each
I wouldn't risk it
Old 09-20-2015, 01:19 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

how long does it take to change the lower valve covers?
Old 09-20-2015, 01:31 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be an hour or less. Very easy work
Old 01-02-2016, 01:34 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered these replacement bolts from Mcmaster Carr as the Porsche ones were too soft. I had to use a bolt extractor on a couple of the lower valve cover bolts.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#91274a143/=10ibnjw
Old 01-03-2016, 08:08 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
Seems like the bolts must be replaced? Has anyone just reused the bolts?
Harold,
The fasteners dont need to be replaced, depending on the condition of the 5mm allen hex in the fasteners.

When removing the bolts, if the 1/4" drive, shorty, 5mm allen socket (what I use) is not completely seated, you can strip the hex. If the fastener hex heads are in good shape; the fasteners are steel, and the heads internal thds. are aluminum, so the only risk is over tightening (7 ft lbs) and pulling the alum internal thds. This is not an issue if you respect the torque tightening spec.

P.S. I did my lower VC gaskets no problem, without removing the HE's, but I was installing Fister II's at the time, so not sure if the mufflers or mounting hardware pose any additional problems.

BILLET VC's ARE A HUGE WASTE OF $$$

Last edited by nine9six; 01-15-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:19 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by techman1
Cosmoline, hard to clean!
Bruce and all. Currently started down the path of clean, and will post a cleanup thread later.

In short, time is your best tool! I used the Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover, in a spray bottle. Put one coat on, and waited overnight. Next morning put a second coat, and by noon some sections wiped clean! A big wait is the key, I tried to rush it, but no go.

Neal
The Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover is da bomb! I tried all sorts of cleaners to remove the white coating on the valve covers including the dishwasher. After I saw this post, I sprayed the TW and waited. Voila the stuff just wiped clean. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2016, 03:08 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Updated pdf with new link to photo album

Google has changed the photo album link so the pdf document has been
updated.

I'll post the new link here also:

https://goo.gl/photos/uum38j2tMJwgbwuj6

-bruce7
Attached Images
Old 11-28-2023, 10:42 PM
flyweight
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
I ordered these replacement bolts from Mcmaster Carr as the Porsche ones were too soft. I had to use a bolt extractor on a couple of the lower valve cover bolts.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#91274a143/=10ibnjw
I ordered some of these. What kind of washers do you recommend to go with these? Thx.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:44 PM
SonnyT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyweight
I ordered some of these. What kind of washers do you recommend to go with these? Thx.
The Porsche part no is 90006723801

Just Google it, all the vendors carry the bolt and washer combo under a $1 each and it has the right plating/aesthetic instead of the zinc coated ones
Old 11-29-2023, 01:02 PM
flyweight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SonnyT
The Porsche part no is 90006723801

Just Google it, all the vendors carry the bolt and washer combo under a $1 each and it has the right plating/aesthetic instead of the zinc coated ones
Well, the 100 McMaster screws just arrived on my doorstep. Wish more complete info on the washers were available. Oh well, can't have everything handed to me on a silver plate, can I?

I'm taking the advice and ordered the OEM bolt/washer combo.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:00 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I don't know where people are getting the idea the socket-head cap screws are too soft. They are a Grade 8.8 fastener and they even have a full sized head on them, not like those shallow heads used for the seat rails or alternator pulley (which should only use a shallow head fastener).

When I had mine out they were installed by the factory 14 years ago and they all came out without any issue. Clean the cavity out so that you can full insert the hex bit and use a metric bit, not an SAE bit that is "close" in size. The hex bit sockets are available standard or short in length if clearances are an issue; I have both. And if you are still worried, insert the socket on the clean fastener and give it a tap (not a blow) head-on with the hammer.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:21 PM
flyweight
Rennlist Member

These screws do require precision and preparation to remove, but I agree that they are way better than the ones holding down the seats (I still have mental scars from dealing with those). And I also found out that it was super easy to use a bolt extractor to get these out if stripped. So now I'm feeling comfortable about using these OEM bolts.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:38 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

And if the valve covers are leaking, tightening the fasteners more will make zero difference if they are already torqued to spec. The valve covers have aluminum spacers built into them and once they seat flush against the engine, tightening them more won't change anything..

Torque is 9.7 Nm or 7 lbf.ft or 84 lbf.in.

Quick Reply: DIY - Changing Lower Valve Cover Gaskets