Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - Installed new flooring in the kids room....

Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM
mavartanian
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the flooring and your TT is stunning.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
In all seriousness, will the tiles handle floorjacks or the edges of jackstands?
Yep - no worries with either, though I can't comment on anything other than the Craftsman alloy roller floor jack or the ESCO jackstands with the round pad feet.... If I were to be using regular jackstands I'd probably place a square of wood underneath.

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hmm, looks great, like the textured look!

My shop sometimes doubles as a woodworking studio (with a complete Unisaw, bandsaw, planer, etc), and then a metal working studio (with cutoff saws, TIG welder, plasma torch, etc).

I assume there are gaps between the tiles, so if sawdust for instance is generated, it gets underneath the flooring? How well does the plastic take hot metal or grinding sparks?

Would love the look, but I suspect I would destroy the floor in no time..

Cheers,

Mike
Mike - plastic probably isn't a good option for you....

My attached garage does not see any profitable or heavy maintenance activity, so this product is ideal for my simple needs.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks great Nick! You had me scared with the title. I thought maybe you married some old divorced woman with a bunch of kids Lets see some pics of the 911 that I would like to think I gave some inspiration too..... Floor looks great.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Polished concrete and sealed like Costco stores and many jet aircraft hangers.

http://www.retroplatesystem.com/
Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you guys with these fancy floors... so what happens when you pour a quart of oil or spill massive amounts of brake fluid all over that?
how do you move heavy objects that need to be dragged across the floor??

dont get me wrong they look sweet, but the way i treat my garage, i dont think theyd last a second
Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Looks great Nick! You had me scared with the title. I thought maybe you married some old divorced woman with a bunch of kids Lets see some pics of the 911 that I would like to think I gave some inspiration too..... Floor looks great.
Mark - if only Lilly had hips.......

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Polished concrete and sealed like Costco stores and many jet aircraft hangers.

http://www.retroplatesystem.com/
I agree - it's a fantastic coating for new concrete & I did look into it. While in great condition, my garage floor still had too many imperfections to ensure a good result without having to scrape off a thick layer.

If I had poured the slab myself, I would have gone this route from the start as I love the look.

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
you guys with these fancy floors... so what happens when you pour a quart of oil or spill massive amounts of brake fluid all over that?
how do you move heavy objects that need to be dragged across the floor??

dont get me wrong they look sweet, but the way i treat my garage, i dont think theyd last a second
Sorry - never felt a need to pour a quart of oil on any floor... I also don't need to drag anything across it carelessly - nor do ever see myself or my mechanic dumping a massive amount of brake fluid.... If it happens, the floor can be lifted, cleaned and replaced easily. I'm more likely to knock a beer over than any HAZMATS.

Again - for my needs, this floor is fantastic....
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i spill $hit all the time. slide stands, jacks, and other 1000 pound objects around. i can see the little grooves getting full of diced leaves and other gooey things.

they sure look nice though!

ps you'll have to show me how you work on cars and never spill a drop of anything! i need to learn that little trick
Old 06-19-2013, 11:30 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I like it. Will look into it as something to use beneath the lift. I have found even with a high solid content in my epoxy floor that when I drop a wrench from 4 ft up it can chip. So i am thinking this could work for me to help prevent that from happening.

Mike I don't weld but wood working is a non issue on my floor seeps up oil and brake fluid no issues either. I found a bottle of motul tipped and was on the floor for a week with no damage.

I am careful with my jacks in moving them around usually don't need them as everything can go on the lift. But the metal wheels would probably damage the clear coat when in use

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that floor is hard to see for such a beautiful car

or

that ace, brumbuabmmmm sorry bout your floor
Old 06-19-2013, 02:04 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot

ps you'll have to show me how you work on cars and never spill a drop of anything! i need to learn that little trick
Very carefully
Old 06-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

So, perhaps I should elaborate.... No heavy maintenance is performed in my home garage; a good friend of mine has an extremely well equipped 'shop' at his house where we hang out & wrench on whichever car requires it. This definitely factored into my flooring decision & I'm happy to have such a great resource when needed. I'm sure that there are many others on this forum that utilize local techs / dealers etc. for maintenance and don't require an indestructible, non-porous surface but would prefer a great looking (moveable) solution.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife says she likes your drawers.... I say your Porsche are amazing!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT - Installed new flooring in the kids room....