Sponsored by:

FDM / TechnaFit brake line install notes

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post FDM / TechnaFit brake line install notes

Were we the first to take this on? Haven't seen any posts regarding this and I think we were the last group to get them. Did a number of other items while the cars were up; transmission fluid, rear rotors, front diff fluid, and a golden rod.

two 993 Turbos
One early 95 993

First, only one thing that chaps my *** about the new techna fit brake hoses for the early '95, plan on digging out ur 11/16th and 9/16th box wrenches to fasten the hoses. maybe they did it to save money? The turbos used all metric on the new hoses. It bothered me. I got over it. The new hoses seem like good quality stuff. The old ones were really gnarly.

The first turbo we were able to install two out of 4 lines (I think that was the #). The second turbo we got only one hose on! The hard line fittings were so rusted the 11mm nuts would not budge. We were using quality flare wrenches as well. The frozen lines will be cut and new OE hard lines installed. Specifically the front hard lines between the hoses and the caliper (prob the easiest of the bunch) and the rear inner hard line between the body and the rear brake hard line junction.

I think the line you really don't want to screw up, round off, or replace is the rear right inner line that routes over the transmission. The others can prob be swapped out without major headache.

My car had an advantage as the fittings were allowed to soak over night w PB blaster before we attempted to remove the hoses. This is likely the only reason we got all four done without too much frustration.

The clips at the body on the early 95 cars are also much easier.

We installed the golden rod, i like it. The shifter has a bit more of a mechanical feel to it, but it feels much more accurate. I def like it so far. The welds were really nice and clean at the u-joint too. Seems really nicely made. An important note for those wanting to do golden rods on early 95's... The rear boot on early ones is very large and square. Order a late model boot and use that instead of reusing the over sized square one. I will order a late model boot and swap them later.

Photos and more details to follow later today.

see related topic from doing 993tt
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ok-jacked.html

Last edited by EMBPilot; 07-11-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Last edited by EMBPilot; 06-17-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounds like two long days. And some challenges to be resolved on Quadcammer's turbo.

Post those photos.

It was nice seeing the three of you (and your dad).

I have two that I quickly snapped with my crappy Crackberry. The caption originally was.....How many people does it take to replace brake lines? But it seems that you needed a torch too.
Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

lol, thanks for that last pic mark.

always good to see you, it was great that you stopped by
Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Yup. We were able to get the front two SS brake line done plus rear rotors, tranny fluid flush and cabin filters on my car. I felt really guilty having my car suck up 90% of Saturday's lift time. I think Oliver and Kevin were the most patient of the bunch.

I forgot to mention that a shirt/sweater belonging to Kevin's exgf, used as a shop rag, fell out of my car, on my way home, in his neighborhood...

It was great to see you again Mark. Beautiful day down at the Jersey shore..
Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The clips at the body on the early 95 cars are also much easier.
Thats good to hear, cause the LF clips on my 96 were about a 1 hr battle to remove. I was cursing the Porsche engineers the last 40 min of my hell.

You guys look like me this weekend! Cept I was on my aching back, without the luxury of a lift. Brake lines, pads, sensors, spiders, rotors, all while wallowing in brake fluid...

Last edited by nine9six; 06-17-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

whoops sorry about the shop rag!

the Clips: they are pretty easy once you get the hang of them. I had great success using a screw driver between the clip and the fitting, rotate the driver, the clip will slide away from the fitting about half inch, then reach in there using a pick that has a hook shape on the end, and grab clip and pull it straight out. getting it in is easy using a 12" socket extension, seated on the clip, then just gently tap it back into place.

i think the key to breaking loose the 11mm fittings is an overnight soaking in PB or Kroil. they took a tremendous amount of force then broke open suddenly with a loud snap...

keep the clips fully seated and use another flare wrench to counter hold. remove the clips after everything is loosened up. expect massive pools of brake fluid soaking rags and your floor...

Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This is sounding less DIY than I'd hoped.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

One of the harsh realities of working on 17 year old cars is that the nuts and bolts have 17 years of time to make it difficult for you to loosen and remove.

If a repair facility said they would charge you one hour of time to replace the lines, it would be a no brainer. I suspect if you asked EMBPilot, Quadcammer and Chsu74 on Saturday and Sunday if they would pay 3 hours, you might have heard their affirmative response all the way to NYC.

But the male bonding experience was priceless!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
One of the harsh realities of working on 17 year old cars is that the nuts and bolts have 17 years of time to make it difficult for you to loosen and remove.

If a repair facility said they would charge you one hour of time to replace the lines, it would be a no brainer. I suspect if you asked EMBPilot, Quadcammer and Chsu74 on Saturday and Sunday if they would pay 3 hours, you might have heard their affirmative response all the way to NYC.

I had to have a brake line replaced a couple of years ago, I forget why, but the mechanic basically had to destroy the original line to get it off. I recall that a torch was involved.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:57 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Originally Posted by Kika
I had to have a brake line replaced a couple of years ago, I forget why, but the mechanic basically had to destroy the original line to get it off.
thats exactly what happens

we voted the torch down though because of the meltable bits nearby.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche

hmm, 1 hour, maybe. 3 hours, i.e. at least 300 bux. probably not.

the control arm bushings on the other hand...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hmm, 1 hour, maybe. 3 hours, i.e. at least 300 bux. probably not.

the control arm bushings on the other hand...
+1

thanks for dropping by Mark, next time bring the real car!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
+1

thanks for dropping by Mark, next time bring the real car!

Will do. Hard to get three adults, beach chairs, coolers, etc. in a Carrera. So I had to slum it with the other ride.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

lol!

Quick Reply: FDM / TechnaFit brake line install notes