Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

ClearPlex Windshield Protection now available for 993!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Precision Auto
Yes this is a DIY. The Clearplex Windshield Film is already shaped to your particular Porsche.
I take it by "shaped", you mean to within an 1/8" or 1/4" of the rubber seal or is some trimming needed?

Does this stuff stretch as 3M paint protection film does or is it more rigid? Just concerned that squeegeeing the film might cause it to stretch requiring trimming at the edges. Not a big deal; just want to know.

What is clarity like with the usual windshield wiper use. Still good after a year, two, three?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

^ Didn't seem to stretch at all (I've diy installed xpel), there wasn't much space only a few mm between the top and sides and a 1cm or so at the bottom. I don't think you are supposed to need to trim, but I had to trim a few mm in one corner (passenger side bottom corner). The material is similar to stuff you put on your iPhone screen. If you have any pitting already, it will not hide it and if close to the edge of the film, the film may not stick/seal as well around it.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I take it by "shaped", you mean to within an 1/8" or 1/4" of the rubber seal or is some trimming needed?

Does this stuff stretch as 3M paint protection film does or is it more rigid? Just concerned that squeegeeing the film might cause it to stretch requiring trimming at the edges. Not a big deal; just want to know.

What is clarity like with the usual windshield wiper use. Still good after a year, two, three?
The Clearplex will not stretch. There are instances where you may have to trim. These kits are all handmade. Computer cuts and fitting are impossible with this application. However, a stainless blade is included in the install kit. The film itself is rigid. That is what makes it effective. You need to be careful not to crease it. Unlike clearbra or vinyl, you cannot apply heat to remove creases. You can use hear to further custom fit Clearplex. Heat from a heat gun is used to shape the film to your windshield during custom install. In a preformed kit, this is already done for you.

Gus
Old 07-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Very interested in this since 99.9% of the countries windshield installers don't know how to install a windshield in a 993 correctly. My concern is the issue with polarized sunglasses. More feedback would be great from those installing this.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

So let me understand. Add something like this to a car that has been on the road for at least 16 years?
First you will need to hit you original scratched and pitted windshield with a hammer for an instant windshield refresh before applying this product.

Am I way off base here?
Andy
Old 07-10-2013, 02:21 AM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Thanks for the orders guys!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cactus
Very interested in this since 99.9% of the countries windshield installers don't know how to install a windshield in a 993 correctly. My concern is the issue with polarized sunglasses. More feedback would be great from those installing this.
There are plenty of guys in the GT3 forum that can probably help you. Seapar is a regular user.

G
Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bumping this back up fir feedback from those that have done the install. How is the film holding up against scratches, chips, wiper use, polarized sunglasses?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:42 PM
NEK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The film seems to be holding up well other the last few months. I don't drive all that much, maybe 250 miles since the installation, and haven't used my wipers at all. My only complaint is the polarized sunglasses effect, which happens against the sky. It's a bit annoying. I wear prescription sunglasses, so I can't easily switch to non-polarized.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by NEK
My only complaint is the polarized sunglasses effect, which happens against the sky. It's a bit annoying. I wear prescription sunglasses, so I can't easily switch to non-polarized.
I'd love to order this product, but just can't deal with this. Good to know. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:19 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by NEK
The film seems to be holding up well other the last few months. I don't drive all that much, maybe 250 miles since the installation, and haven't used my wipers at all. My only complaint is the polarized sunglasses effect, which happens against the sky. It's a bit annoying. I wear prescription sunglasses, so I can't easily switch to non-polarized.
I have driven mine about the same mileage since the ClearPlex was installed and also have polarized prescription sunglasses. I did notice a bit of that "effect" - not sure what you call it. I got used to it and it would not put me off from having the product installed.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:00 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

How well do wipers work on it? And how durable is it vs. the wipers?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:09 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC993
How well do wipers work on it? And how durable is it vs. the wipers?
My brother used to say of his sports cars....."Never driven in the rain or when the sun was shining too hard". Of course they were British cars so they weren't running anyway.....

If I ever sell my 993 I'm going to use that line.....

My car gets very little rain time so I don't know about the wiper use. They seem fine and work well using them after the ClearPlex was installed with just the water hose and wipers on.

I don't think anyone with the ClearPlex on their 993 has enough real world usage to comment on it's durability using wipers and day to day driving. My mission was to save another ws install due to the pitting of that vertical ws. I only use the car 2,000 miles a year or so and may get caught in the rain once or twice.

I don't think the ClearPlex would be the ticket for a 993 DD that is driven regularly in the rain and grit.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
My brother used to say of his sports cars....."Never driven in the rain or when the sun was shining too hard". Of course they were British cars so they weren't running anyway.....

If I ever sell my 993 I'm going to use that line.....

My car gets very little rain time so I don't know about the wiper use. They seem fine and work well using them after the ClearPlex was installed with just the water hose and wipers on.

I don't think anyone with the ClearPlex on their 993 has enough real world usage to comment on it's durability using wipers and day to day driving. My mission was to save another ws install due to the pitting of that vertical ws. I only use the car 2,000 miles a year or so and may get caught in the rain once or twice.

I don't think the ClearPlex would be the ticket for a 993 DD that is driven regularly in the rain and grit.
Do we have any updates on how Clearplex is doing on the 993 installs? I'm having a new windsheild installed and in San Diego pitting is especially a concern from dry desert (blowing sand) conditions. Now seems like a great time to install this protection to keep it in new condition should I?
Old 12-03-2014, 03:33 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Flat,

A year or so in I am very happy with the Clearplex. Got caught in the rain a few times this summer and the wipers worked great and the film seems to shed water anyway like having Rainex on the ws.

Basically you don't even realize that it's there.

Quick Reply: ClearPlex Windshield Protection now available for 993!