993 Forum 1995-1998

Get that 993 ready for the track $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Sometimes it's best not to know.........

So here's what's been going on this year. Local guy whose name pops up here from time-to-time, Tony Colicchio who builds the cages/does car setup locally. They built his brother's E36 M3 into a NASA GTS3 class racer (11:1 wheel HP/weight on DOT-R config). So think power-weight about what the yellow car is. He's now running about 1:52 Thunderhill bypass, where I'm at BEST 1:58 on equal tires. He's hoping there's a near 1:50 flat in the future. He's routinely now beating the other GTS3 competition by nearly 3 seconds a lap. All in the minutiae of making what you've got in tires work as near 100% as you can.
I used to be able to keep up with the 6GT3s when they first came out back in 2004 but over the last few years not by a long shot in the 993. Its not the 993s fault though. I don't drive on the track as much as I used to and it really affects your confidence which then affects your performance and ability. Still lots of fun though!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts

Lots of great comments on this thread. Some of my personal thoughts on car modifications have been confirmed such as:
1. Professional Instruction, assuming one is teachable, is invaluable. People go skiing, they take a lesson. People golf, they take lessons all their life.
2. JRZ, MOTON and or MCS suspension seem to really work well. With just 1 1/2 days on the track at Buttonwillow, with the MCS system on my car and the RS uprights and tie rods, the car was transformed. The MCS system is confidence instilling. My former suspension was a PSS9 unit. It is generally thought to be a street/track system, not a pure track system...which is what I wanted, with big springs front and rear.

With the MCS suspension, the car goes where it is pointed with little to no protest, can suck up bumps , and cosmetically, what a beautiful work of art. The uprights were never "sold" to me by Steve Weiner, my source for the MCS. I have been wanting to get them for years. My thoughts, if they are good enough for the 993 RS and the 993 RS CS and the GT2, then I want them.

3. You don't need to dump a wad of money at a 993 to develop a fantastic track/street car. Like many of us, I have been developing my car to my personal taste for years. If you really want something, investigate its utility, and buy it when you can.

Would I acquire a 993 today and set about converting it into a dedicated track car? Not really. There so many other cheaper platforms, and besides a 993 is just too nice a car to carve up....these comments are based on, "would I start from scratch and do a total conversion today." One exception, if I really wanted to created a 993 RS Club Sport tribute car/aka a clone...and I had the budget, i'd do it. Would I race wheel to wheel with it? Not on your life...but I'd Time Trial it.

Back in 1999, when I got "Baby", who knew it would be such a fantastic car, and hold its value so well. I do recall, at the time, I just didn't want a 996, it looked like a Boxster to me from the front, and I personally have never fallen for Boxsters, then and now. And I didn't want a 964, or a 84 to 89 Carrera either.

Bottom line, the 993 is a fantastic car in whatever trim the owners wants to configure it. I have had "Baby" for a long time and seldom have had thoughts of selling her, very seldom. Now that she is pretty much where I want her...I hope we are together for as long as I am capable of driving her.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:34 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

^ Great summary post!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I thought headers didn't do a thing for HP with 993's? Is there a new design out there?
Who said anything about HP. The equal length headers on our car is a beauty. A racecar without headers is just a car.

BTW, after tracking a FEWC for several years, I am begining to get more comfortable driving the 993 and having fun. But, if I had to do it over again, I would not buy a 993 to run in PCA stock class. Driving the 3170 lbs rolling ballast with the stock gearing is hard on the equiment.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:15 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
But, if I had to do it over again, I would not buy a 993 to run in PCA stock class. Driving the 3170 lbs rolling ballast with the stock gearing is hard on the equiment.
No kidding. And I was ~200 lbs. lighter with the RSA. We ran some of the first RSAs at the heavier allowed weight (then D v. E Stock @ 2760 v. 3031, I think....and those were without driver weight back then), and neither of the guys I prepped the cars for wanted to run them heavy.

I just never got Club Racing's fascination with the whole full-weight car, and having to have an interior installed. Yeah, all that flammable material in wheel-to-wheel racers. But, but, but they HAD to have a place for dude to bring his year old 996 Turbo to race without having to, you know, make it less of a street car.......

Anyway, glad we punched through all that out here, and a couple of guys created PRC (Porsche Racing Club). Full fields, slim rulebook, and everything's gravitated into about 5 classes for purpose-built racers--big engine GT, Limited Prep GT, Spec 911, Spec 944, and Spec Boxster. (You can certainly run your Cup, or alphabet stock/prepared class car, but you'll be pretty much your own class.)
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 657 Likes on 319 Posts

I really enjoy my car and it has been fun building it but with the street value of 993 6 speed coupes today not sure I would start the project today
Rich
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2015, 12:50 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default 993 for the Track?

The latest response to this post was 6/13...now it's nearly 10/1/15....and I have had a complete turnabout....my 993 will no longer be doing wheel to wheel, and never will under my ownership. I am putting her back to pretty much sporty street condition. Why?, well in the first place I want to drive her more than 12 to 14 days a year if I so choose. And secondly, 993 cars are just to valuable to race wheel to wheel, in my opinion.

In the process of making my 993 a race car, I kept:
-Air conditioning,
-Power windows,
-Cruise control,
-Sun roof.
Really glad I did not totally butcher the car as it evolved from DE, to TT to Track.

Re-instaled:
-Added back the stock steering wheel and air bags,
-Put the stock seats back in (I did keep my Cobra Halo in Reserve in case the TT bug bites, and it will.) I also kept my Schroth 6 point belts.

I am keeping the full 993 RS interior. In addition, I am keeping:
-MCS suspension 2 way suspension aka MCS2W
-H&R 700F/900R springs and tenders
-993 RS front and rear anti-roll bars
-Complete ERP rear suspension links
-Tarrett Engineering drop links front & rear
-FVD brake cooling vents

I added from GT3 TEK
993 Front splitters
993 RS side skirts
993 RS Tail

Here is the racing gear I removed:
-Front tow hook
-Window net, left side***$50
-Right side window net***$50
-Trunk mounted 4 gallon Cool shirt cooler & raggedy XL Cool Shirt***$200
-Converted the Heigo full cage to a 1/2 cage,
-Sold off the AIM EVO4/G Dash & Smarty cam
-Removed and sold off the SPA fire system,
-Removed the inside/outside electrical kill switch
-Removed the mini battery and went back to the Porsche battery
-Had the car pretty much disassembled and re-sprayed. Soon to be covered in a full wrapping of EXPEL film
-Replaced the front windshield.
-993 RS Club Sport Front splitters***$250
-993 RS Club Sport Tail
-60" Crawford wing
-Put the stock cat back on for my upcoming emissions test...kept the X pipe and cat bypass pipes in reserve
-Sold off at least 1, maybe 2 sets of O-Z 18" wheels
-Returned the calipers to factory Black, away from Faux red
-Removed the Pagid pads (Yellow F/Black R) and back to stock

***For sale
In addition I have:
-One set Recaro Side Mounts with generic sliders, $150
-One set ??? side mounts with generic sliders $100
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Get that 993 ready for the track $$$$