993 Forum 1995-1998

Get that 993 ready for the track $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
either find one already completed or buy a 996GT3 Cup or street.
See above. So say I unload the yellow car, state of the art when it was built. Think it wouldn't take $10-15K to get it to how you'd build a car today?

I won't even go beyond cursory on a 996 Cup. We went around-and-around-and-around recently on our local list about what we believe is an old friend's car that's been updated, and for sale sub-$40K. Unless you're going to completely domesticate one (valid option for a DE-type car), you're giving up way too much in the class it would race AND you've got the same ~$2K/hr. running costs.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been sorting out a G-class 993 for about 2 years now and would say that you are way off on some costs (e.g. $8K for 2 way adjustable Moton motorsports should include instalation and alignment) and are missing several other important items (custom header), but the bottom line is about right.

BTW, suspension is free in stock class cars in PCA, but you cannot use the GT2 upright.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

It all depends on the experience you expect to get out of a track day

You don't need any of the parts mentioned above, lots of folks have gone out in their bone stock cars and had a blast and even lived to tell the tales, the car too.

but if you want a little bit more satisfying experience you start down the slippery slope of changing the car from what Porsche built to what floats your boat, only limited by budget, time and class constraints
Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
but if you want a little bit more satisfying experience you start down the slippery slope of changing the car from what Porsche built to what floats your boat, only limited by budget, time and class constraints
All so very true!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with two previous posts for sure
Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ofd
I agree 100%, anyone looking for a well set up car should have a look at the one I have for sale in the Regional Forums, Rennlist Canada.
I have seen this car in person and shared the track with it, very nicely setup and a better choice then mine if you want to drive to the track versus trailer.
Good luck with the sale Geoff.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Martin,

So many of the items on your list can be found used or new through diligent prowling of Rennlist. I lucked out on a new Guards LSD and LWF/clutch. Also, anyone who wants to run a 993 in G or H class will save $6,000 on a re-geared transmission since that's not allowed.

Out of your whole list, I think the Moton/MCS/JRZ shock and spring package is the most crucial to fast times. Arguably, data acquisition is up there, but if you're going to include that, you might as well include coaching, too. This last factor was the one component that turned me from a mid-pack racer to a podium contender, thanks to Chris Cervelli and his approach to driving.

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
I have been sorting out a G-class 993 for about 2 years now and would say that you are way off on some costs (e.g. $8K for 2 way adjustable Moton motorsports should include instalation and alignment) and are missing several other important items (custom header), but the bottom line is about right.
I thought headers didn't do a thing for HP with 993's? Is there a new design out there?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Cost was a little off, but at this point....

Motion Control Suspension (MCS) successor to JRZ and MOTON, their 15-way double-adjustable (bump & rebound), with remote canisters, $4,400 + springs and tenders, add another $500 to $1,000, depends on your choice... sway bar mount at $150, .+ $2,400 for installation and alignment....and I was advised the MCS front suspension requires the EVO uprights due to suspension travel, add another $1,300 for uprights and RS tie rods...or get the ERP tie rods. That gets you to about $9,000, but that DOES include labor.

The uprights are not legal in PCA stock, but neither is my 3.8 tail, so my car is not ideal for PCA...but it is legal with several other Clubs that run strict weight to HP, anything goes with the exception of Rocket Assisted Take Off bottles and/or nitrous.

Custom headers? Ever take a look at the 993 exhaust with the heat cans stripped off, looks like factory headers to me.

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi

BTW, suspension is free in stock class cars in PCA, but you cannot use the GT2 upright.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think I've seen more 993 go from track back to street cars lately than turned into track cars.

... Isn't that what the 996 is for?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I know this goes against what the highly-respected Steve Weiner says, but I didn't lose a second of time when I took off my GT2 uprights and re-installed my stock ones. My car was just fine without them.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I know this goes against what the highly-respected Steve Weiner says, but I didn't lose a second of time when I took off my GT2 uprights and re-installed my stock ones. My car was just fine without them.
You're right. It's all about bump steer. I think we're all good enough at the advanced amateur level to drive around it. Specifically locally I think only Buttonwillow and Willow Springs would give cause for concern.

Funny thing is that my belief is that it makes more of a difference on the street cars slammed for the "stance" on unpredictable roads/conditions, driven aggressively by the inexperienced. Suspension's loaded up, get a massive front toe change at the wrong moment, and...................well, where's that M3 video I posted a couple of days ago. (Not to say AT ALL that he had a bump steer issue going on there.)
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

I was considering the GT2 Uprights, glad to hear that if you track car on mostly smooth asphalt it's not all that necessary. Thanks for that info.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cavlino
I was considering the GT2 Uprights, glad to hear that if you track car on mostly smooth asphalt it's not all that necessary. Thanks for that info.
My home track is Summit Point, a notoriously bumpy track, and I think the stock uprights are just fine.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:37 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

My home track is Summit Point, a notoriously bumpy track, and I think the stock uprights are just fine.
Sometimes it's best not to know.........

So here's what's been going on this year. Local guy whose name pops up here from time-to-time, Tony Colicchio who builds the cages/does car setup locally. They built his brother's E36 M3 into a NASA GTS3 class racer (11:1 wheel HP/weight on DOT-R config). So think power-weight about what the yellow car is. He's now running about 1:52 Thunderhill bypass, where I'm at BEST 1:58 on equal tires. He's hoping there's a near 1:50 flat in the future. He's routinely now beating the other GTS3 competition by nearly 3 seconds a lap. All in the minutiae of making what you've got in tires work as near 100% as you can.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

I have never noticed an issue just thought it may be the next thing to do if I still have the 993 and have gotten tired of the GT3

Quick Reply: Get that 993 ready for the track $$$$