Sponsored by:

how to make a 993 handle better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jibble

I think NYC993 may be understanding what I'm describing best---perhaps I am simply not used to having such sensitive steering? This is after all, my first true sports car. Other cars were are a 2002 WRX and 2010 VW JettaWagon and although great cars with decent handling, likely not as sensitive to input as the 993.

Thanks again for all the input. I look forward to hearing more input!
Yea I think some people here underestimate the kind of roads we have to drive on. I don't bother taking 993 to manhattan and over the main bridges. If you wonder into Hoboken area of NJ, we can compare how your car drives to mine.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile Yeah baby!

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
This one is VERY critical and many shops without a thorough understanding of 993 rear kinematic toe geometry pooh-pooh this one.

Your shop must have either the factory kinematic tool, or the Autometrix kinematic tool to do this correctly. The only other way is to actually measure bump steer at the rear axle, however that's only useful if you have adjustable rear links such as the ERP ones.
Couple the ERP links with a rear Motion Control Suspension (MCS) and springs from Steve Weiner, you'll be in 5th heaven. You will need the RS uprights at this point (There are seven heavens as we all know.....seven (7) heavens is a concept found in many ancient religions). And of course a requirement for 5th heaven is 993 RS sway bars and Tarrett Engineering adjustable drop links.

If you want to get to 6th heaven, you'll need, in addition to the ERP adjustable links, don't forget the ERP solid subframe mounts as well as the rear control arm mono *****.

For 7th heaven, you'll need to address the front suspension as well with a full compliment of ERP monoballs along with your previously installed in 5th Heaven, 993 RS uprights and ERP Tie Rods (Very similar to GT2 tie rods, no rubber joints, all heim joints!). And of course you'll need your ERP camber plates. The last requirement to get to the apex of heaven, #7, get the car aligned by a very knowledgable shop and get the rear bump steer set up as Steve mentions above. My "Baby" is having her ERP tie rods installed this week, and is getting her bump steer dialed in....7th heaven, few can imagine the perpetual joy. Talk to Steve, he'll get you there.

However, should you want to explore a new arena, 8th heaven, have Steve build you a G-50 32 close ration transmission. This is the box found in the 993 RS Club Sport...and of course a rugged LSD...cars found in 8th heaven also have 993 RS motor mounts, RS transmission mount, RS "Golden Rod"and short shift kit from FD Motorsports. These aforementioned parts were installed back in 5th heaven along with FD Motorsports Stage III mufflers and a Fabspeed 200 cell cats along with their X pipe. These same cars also have Big Reds on the front and 993 RS calipers on the rear, as well as lightweight wheels such as O-Z Allegrirtta wheels from Tire rack. The also have a second oil cooler they acquired from Gert at Carnewal in Belgium. And of course these cars in 8th heaven all have a 993 RS, or 993 RS Club Sport aero kits installed.

9th Heaven? Hard to imagine...but I believe there is a 993 RS Club Sport 3.8 motor in this mix.

Note: All of the gibberish above is a direct result of a severe case of jet lag coming off 10 days in Spain, a 9 hour time difference for me...4 days later I am still on the Spanish clock.
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I really think the problem is the continental DWS tires. These are not n-spec and have relatively soft sidewalls. The rear tires work hard with the rear weight bias. I have found thst 40 psi rear works best. I have also found that replacing engine mounts with rs brought s I me feeling of control back. I have been meaning to have the kinematic toe checked again. Maybe you could find someone with a spare set of wheels/tires that you could test.

Edit - I have 17"

Last edited by vincer77; 06-06-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
Yep, 44 is recommended on 18 inch wheels. I assume targa has 17s.
Even with 18s, I have found that 44 is too high.

Porsche recommended and what works best for a given situation are different things.

Every set up will work a little different, but I have seen very few where 44 on the rears is the optimal. 36-40 is the typical range for the rears, and 32-38 for the front.

OP will need to experiment to see what works best for him.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:09 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like you are on the right track. I'd be interested to see if your shop did the Kinematic toe.

I would lower the tire pressure too. That can make a huge difference. If you go on a long drive check to see if it spikes on you much - I went on a few 3 - 4 hour drives and was surprised how much it can jump (and change the feel of the car)

Roads make a huge difference here too. Asphalt is my favorite, but most of our roads are concrete. Concrete is good when <5 years old, but once they start patching it and the expansion joints settle a little, it's awful and at speed, horrible.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Jibble
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, its been a busy few days.
So the answer from my shop was that they did not do kinematic toe. I am guessing from the overwhelming number of responses that this may be my issue. I guess I did not think the alignment would be so complicated for a street driven, only moderately aggressively driven car---but I will have to look into this if my "handling" issue continues to bother me. My prior cars never needed kinematic toe alignment etc---but I will certainly do some research in this area.

The notes on lowering tire pressures---duly noted. I do have the 18" ?Classic Sport II wheels as pictured, but will lower the rears from 44lbs to around 40 and give it a shot.

All comments have definitely been appreciated!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Might be time for a trip upstate...to...

Rochester to see Joel Reiser at Reiser Technik. He is world class and knows and understands 993 suspension like few in the US. It's only 8 hours to Rochester from NYC and the weather is great, for a few more weeks, at least. Look up Reiser Callas racing and see what they did with their 993, with no factory support. When you get your car back from Joel...the mysteries will be solved...and just think of the ride back home!!!!

Quick Reply: how to make a 993 handle better?