993 Forum 1995-1998

Rear Decklid, Grill and Spoiler Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Rear Decklid, Grill and Spoiler Question

Has anyone here removed the rear Decklid, grill and spoiler(motor and all) and replaced it with some type of non-spoiler- including lid? I was thinking about this today and wondering if anyone had done that type of backdating before. I haven't ever seen it. I searched for a while on the Internet and here and couldn't find anything.

Please don't shoot me. I am just curious.

--Michael
Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
Has anyone here removed the rear Decklid, grill and spoiler(motor and all) and replaced it with some type of non-spoiler- including lid? I was thinking about this today and wondering if anyone had done that type of backdating before. I haven't ever seen it. I searched for a while on the Internet and here and couldn't find anything.

Please don't shoot me. I am just curious.

--Michael
Search for ducktail....
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-ducktail.html
etc....

Please don't shoot me.
Funny you say that....Here's another thread about fixed tails, read the title of the thread....
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ot-me-but.html
Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kjr914

Search for ducktail....
etc....

Funny you say that....Here's another thread about fixed tails, read the title of the thread....
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ot-me-but.html
Thanks but I was thinking about the Singer car I saw recently and was wondering about the no spoiler at all look on the 993. That means no pop up at speed spoiler either. All that stuff out and a permanent non moving parts grill/Decklid. Hope that is not too confusing.

--Michael
Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks but I was thinking about the Singer car I saw recently
--Michael
Singer's have speed activated spoilers, just like a 993 ..
Old 05-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Rear spoilers are functional on a 911 to negate lift at speed.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Bully67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you pull the decklid, grill and motor. I'd like to be first in line if you are selling. I am going the opposite direction and taking off a Turbo S tail. It was either that or add the turbo S front spoiler.

My car has the wiring harness in place and mount for motor on the decklid arm. Also the original sticker lists the split grill as being on the car at the time of purchase.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 275 Posts

Want a fix-wing, Turbo S?

Trending Topics

Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 PM
Bully67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Absolutely. Last guy I spoke to said I might need that down force after 2 years of track experience.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:21 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

I've purchased a deck lid off a wreck and am working on what I consider to be a more pleasing treatment of the rear deck. It's not ready for prime time yet, but I think it will look much smoother than the scab of plastic that sits on the back of my car now....Before everybody starts screaming about down force, that's not an issue for me....I'm a street guy, not a track guy.....Stay tuned.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. I am not planning on doing it. Just curious. So no sale of parts yet.

--Michael
Old 05-31-2013, 11:47 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMc993
I've purchased a deck lid off a wreck and am working on what I consider to be a more pleasing treatment of the rear deck. It's not ready for prime time yet, but I think it will look much smoother than the scab of plastic that sits on the back of my car now....Before everybody starts screaming about down force, that's not an issue for me....I'm a street guy, not a track guy.....Stay tuned.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Sounds like a cool project.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:52 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Sounds like a cool project.
Me too, I have a complete deck lid (with the split grille option) waiting for installation on my C2 or C4S. IMHO the 993 looks much nicer without the rear spoiler engaged, especially on the WB cars....then again the New England weather gods are easy on the high temperatures and I'm slower than a Floridian at Limerock and don't really need that performance edge
Old 06-01-2013, 12:34 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Actually, IIRC (and I'm sure if I don't, I'll be corrected! :-) ... the small rear spoilers are designed more to eliminate yaw (rotation) than lift at speed, it's the front intakes and splitters that neutralize most of the lift .. BUT the speed activated spoiler on the 964/993's are also letting a huge amount of air in to the engine compartment to cool the motor. The flexible airdam stops the air from exiting and forces it over the motor at speed.

Originally Posted by TMc993
See above ... there's more to it than meets the eye.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

No, it was reduction of lift, and there was published documentation starting with the ducktail that showed how effective that small spoiler surface was. Not to say there isn't a yaw component meshed in, but the 911 profile is very similar to an airfoil and with high speeds will see lower air pressure up top.

Originally Posted by JPP
Actually, IIRC (and I'm sure if I don't, I'll be corrected! :-) ... the small rear spoilers are designed more to eliminate yaw (rotation) than lift at speed, it's the front intakes and splitters that neutralize most of the lift .. BUT the speed activated spoiler on the 964/993's are also letting a huge amount of air in to the engine compartment to cool the motor. The flexible airdam stops the air from exiting and forces it over the motor at speed.

See above ... there's more to it than meets the eye.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:42 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
....BUT the speed activated spoiler on the 964/993's are also letting a huge amount of air in to the engine compartment to cool the motor. The flexible airdam stops the air from exiting and forces it over the motor at speed.
Thanks....Before I purchased the extra deck lid, I spent almost all of July, August and September of last year running my car with the spoiler (1) on "automatic" (2) manually deployed/retracted and (3) constantly retracted at various distances, speeds and ambient temperatures. I carefully recorded the conditions and their effect on the car's operating temps.

Over a period of almost ten weeks in ambient temperature conditions ranging from the mid-80s to almost 100 degrees and highway drives ranging from 10 to 150 miles, the difference between conditions 1, 2 and 3 above were negligible.

Worst case, it doesn't work out and I'm out a few hundred bucks for parts and such. I'll just put the stock lid back on a plug it back up.

That said, this isn't about proving anything to anyone. I cut my teeth on street rods in the 60s and just think it would be fun to take a shot at creating a look that is a little different. I've found a local rod shop that's interested in working on the project so we'll see what happens.

Regards,
Terry

Quick Reply: Rear Decklid, Grill and Spoiler Question