Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time 993 buyer with questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 AM
MKovac
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, I misled you guys. I would agree, if a PPI wasn't in the budget then yea porsche is not for me. Let it be known that I was negotiating a deal on the west coast where a PPI was mentioned in the first few minutes of talking.

So with that being said i don't feel like paying for something I can easily do myself on my own time in my garage on my lift with my tools, diagnostic equipment and knowledge. I trust no mechanic before my own judgement.

The discussion of the PPI is beating a dead horse. If someone could find me a resource for healthy compression numbers I would appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 AM
MKovac
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Do you really think that any, ol' mechanic will know about the following?

-door check strap
-harness recall
-window squeaks

This is only naming three areas of note. The OP, if he wants to do his own "PPI", should search the archives for the other issues.

There's a reason why I only do RennFaxes on 993's and 3.2 Carreras. Why? Because I don't know anything about the nuances of the other Porsche models.
Thank you. I am looking to make an INFORMED decision, and you sir are helping!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 AM
MKovac
Advanced

Originally Posted by Knight
Use this as a reference, obviously omit sections related to the turbos.

Good luck!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...imate-ppi.html
Thank you!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 AM
MKovac
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dryfly57
I feel sorry for this "MKovac" if he pulls the trigger on a subscription.
Quad hit the nail on the head with this one!!
I am sorry I do not follow.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MKovac
If someone could find me a resource for healthy compression numbers I would appreciate it.
If you're buying a ~100K air cooled based on compression numbers, well best of luck. (Probably done in excess of 500 compression tests on 911 engines of various generations, likely fewer than 10 that have told me anything definitive about the engine.)
Old 05-25-2013, 03:41 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by MKovac
So with that being said i don't feel like paying for something I can easily do myself on my own time in my garage on my lift with my tools, diagnostic equipment and knowledge.
What "diagnostic equipment" do you have that does not include an Eastern Technology E2M leak down tester?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:30 PM
MKovac
Advanced

Originally Posted by IXLR8

What "diagnostic equipment" do you have that does not include an Eastern Technology E2M leak down tester?
So i read this, reflected on it and immediately went out and bought a leak down tester.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:52 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

MKovac,

I'd like to take the opportunity to welcome you to the Rennlist forum and to a very tight group of Porsche guys (and gals), should you decide to purchase this car. I strongly encourage your first move be to join our RL membership list and browse the many pages of all things Porsche. You will find you will get quite a bit out of it in just a few hours of browsing.

Porsches, especially the 993's, has a very loyal following. I myself have worked on other cars (mostly BMW's, VW's, Audi's) before becoming a proud Porsche owner. As with all groups you can join, there are all types of folks you can meet. However, I consider the typical RL'er (especially for 993's) to be a Porsche fanatic just like a connoisseur of fine wine.

There are several links and notes I saw that others directed you towards regarding performing a thorough PPI. I understand your desire (and fascination) with wanting to do all your own inspection / evaluation of your first Porsche. But allow us to help direct you to make your experience more rewarding for you. RL'ers are all over the country (and world for that matter) so if you wish to have another set of eyes (or a reputable shop) look over the car, please let us help.

Even with extensive automotive experience that you might bring to the table, there are several nuances that are quite common to the Porsche, and particularly the 993 that can be overlooked if not seeing many of these cars. It also can be difficult to simply list the things to look for on the 993.

For example, these air-cooled engines run hot, and can often present with many types of oil leaks. To know which ones are trivial, easy-to-fix, or a major red-flag requiring an extensive engine rebuild, really takes several years of ownership and / or working on them, to say the least.

Welcome to Rennlist and I wish you the best with your 993 purchase!

Marc G.

Quick Reply: First time 993 buyer with questions