First time 993 buyer with questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:15 PM
MKovac
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default First time 993 buyer with questions

Hello Rennlist!

Being a long time porsche admirer, rennlist lurker, and BMW enthusiast I think its about time I should step it up and get my first air-cooled 993. I did most of the google "993 buyers guide" but I wanted to see what the forum can offer.

I have a specific car in mind and I wanted to see what the boards opinion was on it.

95 c2 RS tribute
94k on the clock
PSS9 coilovers and revised suspension
Alot more to list

Anyway I drove it the other day and it seems to handle very, very tight. Nothing stuck out. Very minor cosmetic issues, overall a VERY well taken care of car. I am purchasing off of a good friend of mine who picked up the car last summer from godspeed down in NC who picked it up from auction. I spoke with the sales manager at godspeed and he actualy remembered the car and said nothig but great things about it. The only issue is that since it went to auction all of the service records were lost. Since the car has not a ding scratch or dent on the exterior and completely top to bottom revised suspension settup chances are it was well maintained without expenses being spared. Im only slightly weary about the higher mileage since I understand that these motors can be tempermental, but bulletproof if taken well taken care of. The owner of the car insists that the clutch and top-end rebuild must of been done by now because the PO spared no expense. Chances are and I would agree that the clutch isnt original at 94k but as far a top end I wouldnt have a clue. I intend on throwing the car up on my lift and doing a compression test as well to verify the health of the rings and valve seats. What numbers and consistency am I looking for 200? +\-5%?

Anything else I should be looking for other than the common used car buyers checklist? Keep in mind Ive been building BMWs top to bottom for over 8 years, I just want to be aware of the nature of this beast, learn the quirks and common problems. I understand Porsche is a whole different ball game.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:29 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Pay for a PPI...it will simplify matters, especially as you are buying it from a friend.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM
MKovac
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Pay for a PPI...it will simplify matters, especially as you are buying it from a friend.
I understand but why pay for the PPI when I have a lift at my house and plenty of automotive knowledge? I can do the comp test myself an deduct generally the health of the motor from those results. Not to take away from what it is but im buying a car not an airplane, do you know what I am saying? PPI isnt completely off the table but I am still on a budget...
Old 05-24-2013, 01:08 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If you have the skills and equipment seems like that should be your choice. There is a wealth of info on this site. I would not assume a clutch or top end has been done. Many Rennlisters have far more mileage than 94k without either. I would search this site for a PPI checklist. That will be helpful to anyone buying a 993. Good luck. Sounds like a nice car
Old 05-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by MKovac
I understand but why pay for the PPI when I have a lift at my house and plenty of automotive knowledge? I can do the comp test myself an deduct generally the health of the motor from those results. Not to take away from what it is but im buying a car not an airplane, do you know what I am saying? PPI isnt completely off the table but I am still on a budget...
You're asking us what to look for and asking what good compression should be.

Good PPIs come from experienced eyes, not website advice.

You should be doing a leakdown.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Why bother with Rennlist...Apply some of your automotive competence and search for PPI checklist and then have at it.

I'm sure lots of well cared for 993's go to auction

Thank you Quadcammer, but wouldn't it be more fun to watch this self proclaimed automotive genius in action? I'm fascinated on how a guy can ask for help and then pooh-pooh the responses he receives. Very gracious indeed.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is from another Rennlisters site, solid info for someone new to 993's.
http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/9...buy_guide.html
Old 05-24-2013, 02:14 PM
MKovac
Advanced

Originally Posted by nine9six

Why bother with Rennlist...Apply some of your automotive competence and search for PPI checklist and then have at it.

I'm sure lots of well cared for 993's go to auction

Thank you Quadcammer, but wouldn't it be more fun to watch this self proclaimed automotive genius in action?
I never said I was an "automotive genius" I just figured it would be pertinent information to let you know I am not the average DIYer.

I also do not understand your level of scarcasm and attitude, it is not appreciated. I would hope a new member such as myself would be welcomed and assisted as I would do the same on an automotive board that I was familiar with.

Please refrain from posting unnecessary and unhelpful comments. Thank you.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

Simple answer: a third party detailed professional PPI can be used as a bargaining tool and as a preliminary list of "to do's" if you go ahead with the purchase.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 PM
MKovac
Advanced

For the rest of you the positive and helpful suggestions are appreciated! Thank you.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:31 PM
MKovac
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pags993
Simple answer: a third party detailed professional PPI can be used as a bargaining tool and as a preliminary list of "to do's" if you go ahead with the purchase.
I couldn't agree with you more but in this specific case the seller is a good friend and no bargaining will be involved. There is a price that is fair and its a take it or leave it type deal. I am sure if we find something, it will be taken into consideration. I plan on doing a comp test and if results are questionable I will no longer be interested in the car.

What kind of compression numbers are normal for a healthy 3.6?
Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more but in this specific case the seller is a good friend and no bargaining will be involved. There is a price that is fair and its a take it or leave it type deal. I am sure if we find something, it will be taken into consideration. I plan on doing a comp test and if results are questionable I will no longer be interested in the car.

What kind of compression numbers are normal for a healthy 3.6?
compression is not sufficient and depends primarily on your gauge, strength of the battery, etc. You want consistent readings.

let me say this again. Do a leak down.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

And lets not forget that not all leakdown testers are the same.

Some RLers were wondering why they were getting different results from different shops. That would happen if the LD testers don't use a standardized orifice.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I never said I was an "automotive genius" I just figured it would be pertinent information to let you know I am not the average DIYer.

I also do not understand your level of scarcasm and attitude, it is not appreciated. I would hope a new member such as myself would be welcomed and assisted as I would do the same on an automotive board that I was familiar with.

Please refrain from posting unnecessary and unhelpful comments. Thank you.
Since you asked...
Seems my comment may have enhanced your sensitivity level just a bit. I think that may have been "helpful" in this case.

If you are not an average DIY, I'm still looking for evidence of your resourcefulness...I can google, "993 PPI checklist" and get plenty of "helpful" hits. But then again thats not in your automotive manual, is it.

My sarcasm emminates from your comment on how automotively adept you came off, but yet the simplest of prerequisites, like using a search function seems to escape you. And then, when offered a very well intentioned suggestion of a PPI by a trained professional, you pooh-pooh the help that is offered to you; instead of shutting your yap and taking advantage of the forum help.

As far as you being a RL member; I think your post shows you as a "user" not a "member".

Why not try a little humility in lieu of bravado and see if that doesn't prove to be more "helpful".

My apologies if my criticism of your responses has rubbed you the wrong way...

Peace out
Old 05-24-2013, 03:22 PM
MKovac
Advanced

Originally Posted by nine9six

Since you asked...
Seems my comment may have enhanced your sensitivity level just a bit. I think that may have been "helpful" in this case.

If you are not an average DIY, I'm still looking for evidence of your resourcefulness...I can google, "993 PPI checklist" and get plenty of "helpful" hits. But then again thats not in your automotive manual, is it.

My sarcasm emminates from your comment on how automotively adept you came off, but yet the simplest of prerequisites, like using a search function seems to escape you. And then, when offered a very well intentioned suggestion of a PPI by a trained professional, you pooh-pooh the help that is offered to you; instead of shutting your yap and taking advantage of the forum help.

As far as you being a RL member; I think your post shows you as a "user" not a "member".

Why not try a little humility in lieu of bravado and see if that doesn't prove to be more "helpful".

My apologies if my criticism of your responses has rubbed you the wrong way...

Peace out
Instead of searching I would like to mingle with the members, raise my post count so I can become a member and hopefully learn more from others that have useful things to say.

Take care.

Quick Reply: First time 993 buyer with questions