993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Turbo scavenge tank - Plugged off Vent Line

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Bill Reilly
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Turbo scavenge tank - Plugged off Vent Line

I was experiencing an oil leak on my left turbocharger between the bearing cartridge and the exhaust turbine. It would only leak while the engine was running. I had the turbocharger rebuilt by an excellent turbocharger repair shop in Ocala, Florida - Evergreen Turbo. (I highly recommend them.) It continued to leak. I plugged the scavenge tank vent line and the leaking stopped. Can anyone explain this? Does anyone know if this could cause other problems?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:18 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

Try the 993 turbo forum.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Reilly
I was experiencing an oil leak on my left turbocharger between the bearing cartridge and the exhaust turbine. It would only leak while the engine was running. I had the turbocharger rebuilt by an excellent turbocharger repair shop in Ocala, Florida - Evergreen Turbo. (I highly recommend them.) It continued to leak. I plugged the scavenge tank vent line and the leaking stopped. Can anyone explain this? Does anyone know if this could cause other problems?
This is not normal. I'll let the smarter 993 turbo owners chime in. You should re-post in the 993 Turbo Forum for more help & responses.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Do a search in the Turbo forum, it can happen.

The sump vent lines run into 2 seperate tees. These eventually meet up in the center throttle-body lower chamber. There could be a number of reasons you have oil in those lines, including if there is too much vacuum it can suck oil from the reservoir, of if the oil is high in the intake, it can go the other way into the reservoir.

If your rebuilt the turbos, was that because of oil leaks - and if so did you clean out the IC, throttle-body, Bypass valves, inlet turbo piping etc? Any other changes, etc.

Anyways, the suggestion to move this to the Turbo forum is bang on.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo scavenge tank - Plugged off Vent Line