Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you Gordo, Tim.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Rennsport (Steve Weiner) can...

...get rid of the Immobilizer and chip the car for maximum performance on 91 or 93 octane..can't get 93 in Cali. You need to extract your ECU and send it to Steve. As I recall, the cost was around $1,000....or do what Bill Verburg did.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:36 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

+1 that's what I did too.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin S.
...get rid of the Immobilizer and chip the car for maximum performance on 91 or 93 octane..can't get 93 in Cali. You need to extract your ECU and send it to Steve. As I recall, the cost was around $1,000....or do what Bill Verburg did.
Some on the board still say the OBDI can be flashed to eliminate the immob.

I talked to Steve a couple years ago....memory is foggy but I recall Steve said it was quite a project .... re-wiring etc...not a simple flash job like the OBDII.

I would eliminate the immob on my OBDI 95 if I could....anyone?

Gordo
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by 993/907
You'll get it when it costs over $3k to sort it out when it goes kablooey.

Gordo
So....The OP is worried because there is a possibility that sometime in the future, the immolizer will go "kablooey?" Jeez, I wish my life was that simple.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

4(?) years ago had infrequent difficulty getting the fob to lock/unlock doors.
Became more frequent over the next year or so.
Sometimes one of the parking lights would stay on after locking the car.
At times it took several tries fobing the ignition to engage the starter.
(Fresh fob batteries, etc).
Dealer replaced ignition switch, which helped temporarily.
Back to dealer; finally determined (best guess) that the ignition keyway was so worn that it was sending some kind of transient signal to the immob module and caused it to fail.
New module, new ignition keyway from factory (which required replacement of integral steering wheel lock).

Gordo
Ouch - an expensive way to fix a lock keyway. Any competent automotive locksmith could have fixed the ignition key problem for <$100. It could have simply been dried lubricant that needed cleaning as may have this come up wit the lock bolt sticking - Fix is a little electric motor cleaner.
How did you figure out the module was bad?
Andy
Andy
Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Ouch - an expensive way to fix a lock keyway. Any competent automotive locksmith could have fixed the ignition key problem for <$100. It could have simply been dried lubricant that needed cleaning as may have this come up wit the lock bolt sticking - Fix is a little electric motor cleaner.
Believe me that was tried first.
Originally Posted by pp000830
How did you figure out the module was bad?
The immobilizer light in the cluster would never begin flashing when you are supposed to input the code, and would thus not accept a code. It worked 100% perfectly as soon as the new immobilizer module was installed.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:15 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm afraid to ask but how much did the new immobilizer module cost?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts

Some on the board still say the OBDI can be flashed to eliminate the immob.

I talked to Steve a couple years ago....memory is foggy but I recall Steve said it was quite a project .... re-wiring etc...not a simple flash job like the OBDII.

I would eliminate the immob on my OBDI 95 if I could....anyone?

Gordo
The US '95 and all RoW '94-98 are OBD1 and use a 55pin harness, the DME has a chip that us user swap-able(if you are careful) all these cars need to eliminate the immobilizer is a chip that is not programmed for it, these chips are readily available from a # of sources for a very reasonable price, Steve Wong @ '911 Chips" is my favorite.

US cars from MY96 up and all turbos have an OBD@ compliant system, these use 88pin harnesses and the chips are not user or at least easily swapable. The MY96 can't even be re flashed, the MY97 & 98 can be unsoldered and reflashed by a reputable shop like Steve Weiner's

In addition to the chip or reflash the R61 relay must be bypasssed, use a Porsche part or just make your own.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Oh PLEEZE! That $1000 figure is only part of the equation. If you dont have a 97 or later car, factor in $1500-$2000 for the later model ECU (if you can find one).

The immobilizer light in the cluster would never begin flashing when you are supposed to input the code, and would thus not accept a code. It worked 100% perfectly as soon as the new immobilizer module was installed.
As I understand the instructions from the workshop manual, the immobilizer light does not start flashing UNTIL after the correct code has been successfully "keyed" into the immobilizer (key on-off sequencing)

BTW, I am currently wrestling with the same issues in trying to program additional fobs to my immobilizer. I presently have one working fob, and desire at least a couple of functioning back-ups.

My issue is that I am not receiving the flashing immobilizer light after keying in the code, which should signify the correct code has been successfully entered and the immobilizer is awaiting depression of the key fobs to be programmed.

As a footnote, while keying in the code, I am noticing double blinking LED's on the door top lights, which may signify an alarm problem?
*Note that these double blinking LED's are AFTER a sucessful arming/priming/self testing of the alarm system as signified by the door top LEDS quick flashing that slow to a single flash every 2 seconds.

I'm at my wits end...and I'm only looking to program back-up remotes.

Last edited by nine9six; 05-16-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Immobilizer sucks...