Sponsored by: DashLynx

Momo Steering Wheel Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:54 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT4SPD
It's actually a ground wire. If you touch that wire directly to ground you should get the horns to honk. In some Momo horn buttons you have one contact and when you push the button the button itself makes contact with a ground (usually a ground ring provided with button).

Some have the two wires and one connects to your loose wire and the other connects to a ground of some sort. You pushing the button closes the circuit in the button and completes the circuit needed to power the horn relay.
After a good night sleep and a decent breakfast, I went back out and took it all apart again. I resoldered a new connector on the horn line, fit it in the plastic module, bent the copper tab piece on the L pin a bit more, reconnected everything and got the horn to work. I took it out for a drive and the steering wheel wasn't aligned so I took the hub off, realigned it and now everything works.

Happy ending. A totally cool SW, no airbag light and a working Porsche crest horn. This owner is very very happy.

--Michael
Old 06-02-2013, 06:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Michael, the install looks very good and should be really comfortable.

For the future info sake - did you use 2.9 Ohm resistor? 8013 Momo hub?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:25 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Michael, the install looks very good and should be really comfortable.

For the future info sake - did you use 2.9 Ohm resistor? 8013 Momo hub?
I used a 3 Ohm 1/4 Watt resistor. I read someone's post about using one. I didn't have a 2.8 Ohm one.

My wheel is the Prototipo and the Momo 7004 hub with 964 RS steering column covers. I think they are RSs but I am not sure.

To make the job easier I removed the lower dash. This made it easy to get at the wire connectors that go to the clock spring mechanism and air bag.

The Jackals Race Track site was the most helpful and I will post the links to the 3 most helpful threads.

I am moving all the buttons from the console up into a block off plate I got from Rennline then I am going to RS door panels and installing manual window cranks.

Much fun to come. I will post better pics as I get things done.

Michael
Old 06-09-2013, 09:33 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
After a good night sleep and a decent breakfast, I went back out and took it all apart again. I resoldered a new connector on the horn line, fit it in the plastic module, bent the copper tab piece on the L pin a bit more, reconnected everything and got the horn to work. I took it out for a drive and the steering wheel wasn't aligned so I took the hub off, realigned it and now everything works.

Happy ending. A totally cool SW, no airbag light and a working Porsche crest horn. This owner is very very happy.

--Michael
Looks great! Glad it all worked out in the end!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 41 Posts

I am moving all the buttons from the console up into a block off plate I got from Rennline then I am going to RS door panels and installing manual window cranks.
Hey, Michael.
I like the wheel. It looks great. Looks like the 964 steering wheel cover worked out okay too. GOOD!

Question - What are you going to do with the center console after you take the switches out? Are you going to cover them somehow? The reason I ask is that my bottom switch plate cover keeps having the tab break that holds it in the console. It's a total POS. I've replaced it twice already.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

The Prototipo wheel looks sooooo good in a 911, really good! Nice work.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: Momo Steering Wheel Install Help