Sponsored by:

Key and ignition question "I searched i promise!"

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

There is a deadbolt as part of the lock housing that springs into the steering column to lock it. Sometimes it needs to be greased. I removed a lock a long time ago, from my 86' the 993 seems to be of a very similar design, and seem to recall it is not too hard. You will need to drill out the rivets that attach the lock to the dash behind the ignition key surround. When done you can replace the rivets with screws. The surround easily unscrews if I recall. It has a hole in its edge I think I recall using It to grasp it to spin it off. The lock unplugs from the ignition wires in one unit.
I would say it is a solid 4 on a 1 to 10 scale for a first time shade tree mechanic.
Many times people have lock problems and buy a $600 replacement when any automotive locksmith can service most any issue you may have with the lock once it is out of the car.
Andy
Old 05-09-2013, 03:50 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted on this a while ago. Same exact problem. I thought I would have to replace the ignition switch. I cleaned it first with some brake cleaner then lubricated with Aero-Kroil. It has worked fine for many months. If you don't like the oily Aero-Kroil you can try a dry graphite spray. Protect the surrounding area from cleaner and lube.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ock-stuck.html
Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Mike, did you just spray Aero-Kroil inside or did you take the lock out? I have a can of Aero-Kroil, might just do it as preventive thing.

Quick Reply: Key and ignition question "I searched i promise!"