993 Forum 1995-1998

Tiptronic Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:31 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Raleigh993
This is correct. It is the torque converter "bump" in 2nd that some folks mistake for a gear shift.
It's not really a torque converter bump. The ignition timing is retarded during the shift from first to second, depending on the active shift map, to 'soften' the shift. The "bump" is when the that timing is released. If you push the gas pedal to the floor and hold it ... there is no bump.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:50 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
So, the TipS just added paddle shifters ... what years, '97/'98? I'm assuming one could modify an earlier car to accept a paddle shift system?

I have to say .. I'm surprised you converted yours .. I've heard it's very expensive and complicated to do .. even if you're doing it yourself. Just the cost of the parts ...

Why did you choose that route instead of selling the tip car and replacing with a factory 6spd?

I also have to say, I'm VERY surprised at the number of obviously passionate tip owners posting here .. I for one, didn't appreciate them until I got a ride in one driven by somebody who really knew how to use it to advantage. Very impressive ..
Ya, it's NOT a path I generally recommend. Here's some yak yak I posted in another thread.

I can understand why some owners love their tip. As I have said before, for me it was all about the less-than-perfect shift maps (I always used manual mode) and lack of gear ratios. I have no particular desire to use a clutch and don't believe that learning to use the heel-and-toe is a neccessary driving skill. I'd love to drive a 991 GT3 with pdk.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
I'd love to drive a 991 GT3 with pdk.
Yeah ... you and me both!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Rialas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "bump" described has been discussed a few times.
It is the torque convertor locking up (or down?), in 2nd and 3rd gears.
Although there also maybe some timing retardation going on?

Add me to the passionate tip owner list.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:51 AM
Malibu101
Advanced

Same here....love my tip!!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:53 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a couple of questions for the tip community brains trust,
1. Has anyone ever fitted a 5 speed tiptronic tranny into a 993?
2. is it possible to reflash the 993 tip control module to re-configure shift maps and make it automatically downshift to 1st?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see all the happy tip owners coming out of the closet, lol!

I'm one as well. Always in manual mode, seldom in 4th gear unless I-75N in Atlanta unclogs itself during rush hours, I've put over 60K miles on mine since I bought it in 2006. Haven't had any problems hanging with the 6 spd cars during the occasional spirited mountain runs. 2nd gear is amazing. Throttle blips during downshifts to 2nd are gloriously noisy. Just downshift to 1st when you need it.

No regrets whatsoever!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 AM
tctung
Instructor

Some 993 Owners in Taiwan had the shops convert their Tip 4 to manual 6. Cost was about $10,000 parts and labor including computer chip. I test drove one a few months ago. It felt just like a factory manual 6, obviously more powerful than Tip from 0 to 60.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:53 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I wonder how this supercharged tipS coupe performs? Anybody here have a Supercharger on their TIP? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARRE...orcev4exp=true
Old 06-01-2013, 01:55 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought my tip purely because of the price difference and color combo of the car. In no way did I expect the automatic transmission to "replace" a manual in terms of connectivity or driving enjoyment and because of this I am not disappointed. The only thing I can complain about is that when downshifting the car jerks a fair bit (not as smooth as rev-matching with a manual). I suspect that changing my engine mounts out for new rs mounts could improve things a fair bit.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:39 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rialas
The "bump" described has been discussed a few times.
It is the torque convertor locking up (or down?), in 2nd and 3rd gears.
Although there also maybe some timing retardation going on?

Add me to the passionate tip owner list.
SV1, SV2, and SV3 on the transmission are on-off valves. SV1 and SV2 determine the gear selection. SV3 is the torque converter lockup clutch. Again, it is either off or on.

The fourth SV on the transmission controls the shift actuation pressure. The pressure determines how fast and hard the shift is accomplished. According to the factory repair manual, "This ensures good shift comfort throughout and increased service life of the shift actuators." It is not responsible for the 'bump' felt a bit after the shift.

Also from the factory repair manual, "At the shift point, the engine control unit reacts by retarding the ignition timing. This reduces engine torque during the shift process, thus increasing shift comfort and ensuring long life of the shift actuators." The 'bump' is felt when the timing is released and full torque is restored.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:49 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Section 37 in the Diagnosis volume of the factory repair manual is a must-read for tip owners. There are many nuances in the operation of the transmission that you will appreciate.

For example ... the infamous shift to 2nd gear at a stop is called the Creep function. It is intended to reduce the creep when sitting at a stop. From the manual, "If the driver wants to move off in 1st gear, the throttle angle must be >35% in the "D" shift position or position "3", "2", or "1" has to be preselected. In manual program, 1st gear has to be selected to be activated."
Old 06-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks Hoggel perfect reference, and to answer Aussie Alan's question in manual mode...

in the manual mode...

Automatic downshifts are only made down to 2nd gear. If it is desired to move off in 1st gear (e.g. after stopping at a red light), 1 st gear must be engaged by actuating the rocker switch.
The kickdown feature cannot be used since it is not activated in this program.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting! You blokes are a wealth of knowledge. I will go and study section 37.

Sadly I don't drive my 993 all that often these days, I thought that it would pull down to 1st in manual mode if the throttle was pushed hard enough but now that you mention it I could have noticed that one of the very few times I drove it in auto mode many years ago.

If the weather was better, I'd bring her out and try it, meantime any thoughts on the two questions I asked above?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:36 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
........I for one, didn't appreciate them until I got a ride in one driven by somebody who really knew how to use it to advantage. Very impressive ..
Wonder who that could be JP

Graham

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Question