Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Tiptronic Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 AM
skicoach
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all of the above. I originally hadn't considered a tip but bought because of the car's color combo, milage, condition, etc. I also think that as time goes on, with fewer manual transmission options, a dwindling number of enthusiasts growing up with manuals, and the relative scarcity of tips, their value will actually overtake manuals.
One last thought; not sure of this but, tips seem to have been driven less both in terms of milage and aggressive driving.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by skicoach
......the relative scarcity of tips, their value
will actually overtake manuals..
this influence will vanish after some time of 993 ownership. We always thought we made a heck of a deal buying a 993, and sell it without any depreciation when time comes (if you could let go and sell)
Comes the point where you spend on your investment, sub-prime style.
How many of us thought of a PSS10 install as 10% of the price of a 993, before buying the suspension?
Then comes the three spoke steering wheel, and the rest ...

One last thought; not sure of this but, tips seem to have been driven less both in terms of milage and aggressive driving.
hasty generalization
Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by berni29
Hi

... do not forget it will pull away in 2nd unless you tell it not to (ie knock it down to 1st).

Berni
Has anyone found a way to permanently make it change down to 1st when coming to a stop in manual mode?

I read years ago that you can alter the program by changing it down into 1st at 16km/h or 10mph for a set number of consecutive stops and it will then learn to do it by itself. I have tried it a few times and no joy. I would be interested to hear if anyone has done it.

I got a tip mainly because this car was a bargain at about 25% under the current market value and was too good to pass up, that was 10 years ago and since then, my left hip and knee are both getting crook. I'm glad I got a tip now! I probably won't be able to push the clutch on a 6 speed for too long, as I remember, it was quite heavy.

My tip has been perfect, no problems.

Cheers
Alan
Old 05-30-2013, 10:38 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

and the relative scarcity of tips, their value will actually overtake manuals.
Call me crazy, but this may be true at some point in the future. Most kids today can't drive a manual and when they reach their peak earning years and can buy that 993 they lusted after as a kid, a Tip may be their only option.....and they'll have to pay big bucks for one.

....or maybe not.

Cheers.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alan -

If you put the tip in 3 or 2 it will always start out in 1st.

That being said "M"mode is the way to go.

My signature sums the debate up nicely.

Hope this helps
Old 05-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Howard, I actually knew that about auto mode but like you I think manual mode is the only way to go but it would be even better if it down shifted all the way to 1st.
I also know that if you floor it from stand still in 2nd, it will quickly select 1st and go like crazy...
Old 05-30-2013, 12:16 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

appear sums it up nicely IMO. I was, and still am, a defender of the tip transmission in the 993 for what it is. It is a robust and competent fluid drive transmission with 4 gear ratios. In the end I did not want to live without six gear ratios.

My car was a tip for the first six years that I owned it and then I converted it to manual (two years ago). The conversion was a lot of money and work. With the manual and LWF I drive the car less and enjoy it more. Now it is NOT fun to drive downtown, or anywhere there is likely to be stop-and-go traffic. But everywhere else it is absolutely a better sports car.

The problem with deciding between a tip and manual is that it takes a while to learn the intricacies of driving the tip. A test drive will not do it for most people. If you have a chance to go for a ride with someone who owns, and can drive, the tiptronic you'll see what it can be.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hoggel -

I've said many times - to each their own.
Both set ups have their own pluses and minuses.
In the end we're all just a bunch of 993 junkies enjoying our rides.
Glad you got what puts the biggest smile on your face.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now in my 7th year of ownership '95 Cab. with tip. Don't miss the 6 speed. Greater Seattle Traffic is almost always a nightmare. I know the later Tips had 5 speeds, not 4. But I don't miss the extra gear. These engines are so flexible - 2nd gear is almost all you need for most situations (highway - passing - or around town).
Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick shift is going the way of wind-up windows and cassette players (my DD has all 3 ).
Old 05-31-2013, 02:08 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie Alan 993
Thanks Howard, I actually knew that about auto mode but like you I think manual mode is the only way to go but it would be even better if it down shifted all the way to 1st.
I also know that if you floor it from stand still in 2nd, it will quickly select 1st and go like crazy...
AA993, you had me thinking, so I tried what you were originally asking. In manual mode and along in 3rd at 80k then slow down close to stop and don't touch anything... yep the tip changes to 2nd. You have to press the tip button to go into 1st.

Never really used the above feature within manual mode to let the tip change down for me, as I am thinking manual, so I select the gear I want for the corner or from stop.

Agree, and well documented that 1st will be selected if you are in Auto mode, and position 3 or 2 is selected.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
..I know the later Tips had 5 speeds, not 4. But I don't miss the extra gear.....
Do you mean just '95 TIPS are 4speed's and '96 and on 993 TIPS are 5? or 993 v.s. newer models (996/997 etc.)?
TIA
Old 05-31-2013, 12:27 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Do you mean just '95 TIPS are 4speed's and '96 and on 993 TIPS are 5? or 993 v.s. newer models (996/997 etc.)?
TIA
All 993 tips are 4 speeds.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:52 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
So, the TipS just added paddle shifters ... what years, '97/'98? I'm assuming one could modify an earlier car to accept a paddle shift system?

I have to say .. I'm surprised you converted yours .. I've heard it's very expensive and complicated to do .. even if you're doing it yourself. Just the cost of the parts ...

Why did you choose that route instead of selling the tip car and replacing with a factory 6spd?

I also have to say, I'm VERY surprised at the number of obviously passionate tip owners posting here .. I for one, didn't appreciate them until I got a ride in one driven by somebody who really knew how to use it to advantage. Very impressive ..
Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Raleigh993
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
This is correct. It is the torque converter "bump" in 2nd that some folks mistake for a gear shift.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Question