Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment & Corner balance - Socal

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:13 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

As long as it's a "Hunter Alignment Rack," it's ok? I'm in LA and just got my new PS2s and I need an alignment. I was just going take her to the "Stealership"
Old 04-26-2013, 03:26 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Johnson's $75 front, $75 rear. BH Porsche $300
Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Wow! sorry to hear about that...I just spent about 7 hours with Darin and Chris today...both were very professional and courteous, and dialed in my car (installed 10's and turbo sways) exactly how I wanted it; and the car is transformed. I'm a first time customer and was extremely impressed. The price quoted 2 weeks ago was exactly what was on the invoice.
Dont get me wrong...as originally stated, I like Darin, his professionalism and his abilities around a Porsche. This is WHY I didn't even consider any other alignment shops. They got my phone call right out of the box...

What bothered me was a 30% bump in pricing from the first phone call, to the price once I scheduled the work.

If Chris is that out of touch on their own pricing, maybe he's is the wrong guy to put in front of customers. (This would have been my 3rd with West End). I cant begin to count the number of people I've refered to the shop...(More evidence of a talented shop and satisfied customer)

Giving the benefit of a doubt, maybe during my initial contact with Chris; he sounded rushed, but after telling him yr, make, and the work I was looking for (install PSS10, M030, align & CB) he provided a figure that turned out to be 30% low of the current figure I am now being quoted!

This is not the West End Alignment I have done business with in the past, as I have always dealt with Darin on previous occasions. Even when he was busy, to took time to understand my needs and always provided a spot-on service for the price quoted.

In retrospect, I may even use West End because of Darin's talents. The whole ordeal felt alot like a bait and switch tactic, which left me feeling cold... Taking a breath and regrouping my thoughts.

Last edited by nine9six; 04-26-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:37 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know where they are right now, but I posted some "Free Corner Balancing Scales" about a year ago. Slidewaysmarty picked them up, but he should be able to lend them to you if you can get a hold of him.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ng-scales.html

I too was a little shocked by the prices of Corner Balancing.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:41 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Wow, really sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I have been there four times in the last two years, sway bars, corner balance, alignment and Walrods bushings installed and had nothing but great experiences.

Chris was there every time, but I dealt with Darin. Was Darin not around?
Kika,
So far, it has only been phone conversation (with Chris) regarding car, make, model, and work to be performed.
2nd call was to schedule the work based upon the quote originally given by Chris. This is when the price rose by 30%!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Kika,
So far, it has only been phone conversation (with Chris) regarding car, make, model, and work to be performed.
2nd call was to schedule the work based upon the quote originally given by Chris. This is when the price rose by 30%!
Again, sorry to hear that you have had less than excellent service.
In response to your initial post however, if you don't want to go back to west end, then my next choice would be Steve Alarcon at Johnson's. it isn't too far, on Hawthorne, just south of 190th. Same drive way as Callas.

If you do want Darin's technical expertise, I would go talk to him and tell him what happened, from what I know about Darin,he will try to make it right. The choice is entirely up to you however.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:29 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
That has been my experience as well.

FLYT993, how do you like the set up?

Thought about motor mounts? Either WEVO or RS?
I have a similar set up, with WEVO blacks, love the way thecar feels.
Kika--

I love the setup, even though I know I've only scratched the surface of getting a 'killer' set up on the car. The difference in the handling of my car is night and day...some of that is due to the fact that the OE suspension was waaaay past it's shelf life. But the car moves like a cat now, as opposed to a "lost puppy" (all over the place) and the rear feels planted.

I'm running the 10's set at 5F and 5R just to get a baseline. She's a weekend car, but with this new set up, I'll be driving her a lot more. It just feels so good.

I have a C4 and was told C4's come stock with RS mounts...but I never verified that. So I guess I'll need to check into that

Last edited by FLYT993; 04-28-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
As long as it's a "Hunter Alignment Rack," it's ok? I'm in LA and just got my new PS2s and I need an alignment. I was just going take her to the "Stealership"
These fancy Bosch and Hunter racks are only as good as their maintenance and the person using it. The racks are very sensitive to abuse and can create a car that is out of whack even though everything looks right on the gages.

Frankly, it can be done very well with a flat floor, reference strings, a tape measure along with camber gages by someone who knows what they are doing and cares.

I would be way more comfortable with that than a stealership with an out of spec rack and a technician who only knows how to read the gages, but does not really care what he is doing.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll post this thread here, too, mainly for the picture of old school (reposted it in Martin's weight loss thread yesterday): https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ferrerid=21505

And yeah, I had a brand new Hunter C111 in '85 that I used for four years. Stayed amazingly accurate when I'd "calibrate" it against my old, old, old tech of the day. And then there were the Wacko weight scales! Can't believe we thought we were getting cars close with those things.........

Quick Reply: Alignment & Corner balance - Socal