993 Forum 1995-1998

Jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Personally I wouldn't dream of using that setup. Too easy for the puck to slide and fall off the stand.
I concur...Bruce knows his stuff, but in this respect, I disagree. You will notice that the RL 993 group sometimes gets a tad over the top; like when protecting the jack points on the bottom of the car from marring.

Not only that, the more distance and objects put between the car and the jack stand, the less stable the setup.

The only exception I can think of that would be more stable; is the machined inserts that locate in the jack point holes, coupled with esco jackstands, which would provide a round flat against flat surface. A round 1/8" piece of rubber between the insert and the stand couldn't hurt, by prohibiting any sliding of metal against metal...If the esco stands have a piece of rubber glued to a recess in their flat, then the rubber piece I mentioned is not needed. Bottom line is all this costs $$$, and since I manage just fine with my stands, which look like those in the photo; I take the rest with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
oh god who cares. the saddle jackstands you can get at parts stores are fine. if you are that concerned about marring the bottom, pay out the *** for esco
Your jack stands will work just fine. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to spend that kind of money on stands; especially if you already have a set.

To me, the esco's may be for those with more $$$ than sense.

Kudo's to the guys that can spend that kind of scratch on jack stands and never give it a second thought. I just dont happen to be one of them.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
I concur...Bruce knows his stuff, but in this respect, I disagree. You will notice that the RL 993 group sometimes gets a tad over the top; like when protecting the jack points on the bottom of the car from marring.

Not only that, the more distance and objects put between the car and the jack stand, the less stable the setup.

The only exception I can think of that would be more stable; is the machined inserts that locate in the jack point holes, coupled with esco jackstands, which would provide a round flat against flat surface. A round 1/8" piece of rubber between the insert and the stand couldn't hurt, by prohibiting any sliding of metal against metal...If the esco stands have a piece of rubber glued to a recess in their flat, then the rubber piece I mentioned is not needed. Bottom line is all this costs $$$, and since I manage just fine with my stands, which look like those in the photo; I take the rest with a grain of salt.

Your jack stands will work just fine. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to spend that kind of money on stands; especially if you already have a set.

To me, the esco's may be for those with more $$$ than sense.

Kudo's to the guys that can spend that kind of scratch on jack stands and never give it a second thought. I just dont happen to be one of them.
One problem with the machined inserts idea is that sometimes the 993 jack points have been partially collapsed or mangled in some way, possibly during a
towing tie-down. My two front jack points are like that, no flat metal surface
any more. To fix them a body shop estimated $1500.
The following users liked this post:
pmartinslx (10-08-2020)
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM
FabianS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm not too worried about marring my jack points. I could just wrap a shop rag or something over the top of the jack stand. Lucky for me my jack points look excellent. I just want to make sure that the car is stable when I replace the lower valve gaskets. I'll likely keep an eye out for some round top ones on sale in the future.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have no concern whatsoever about marring the jack points, I do however have concerns about crushing the underbody plastic panels around the jack points, hence the hockey pucks. As for the setup in the photos at top my concern would be that the car would shift/slide when you're jacking up the other end of the car (as the weight/position) is shifting (and also being under the car during an earthquake but that's a whole 'nuther discussion...).

I've had my Esco's for several years, actually think I got them during one of our RL group buys. They are a tool, I could have bought cheaper tools but these particular tools are worth the premium I paid for them (to me).

Just my .02
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a hockey puck pop off of a jack stand ..once

I now use Esco and they are definitely worth it, i dont want to die under my car (or in Georgia)
Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not get under a car w a hockey puck between it and the V Style jack stands. Ur life depends on it. I'd just drop the car onto the stands w/o the puck if ur ok making ur lift points gnarly.

I love my escos though.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I built these years ago... very positive lock to the top of the jackstand and the engine motor mount. I did not want the car to slip off the jackstand. There is a pin that locks this to the top of the stands, and then another pin that goes inside the hole on the car's mount.

The pin is positive locking, another variant of the locking ring with magnets attached.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 272 Posts

There's an old racer addage about helmets that says "If you've got a $100 head, then buy a $100 helmet." (I increased the Dollar amount due to inflation). Same goes for jackstands.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered a set of these metal pucks from Ebay - looked just the job for the top of my escos.

When they arrived they were ridiculously small at 4 cm. diameter.................I would never use them and sent them back.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comparative size...................
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 AM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is what I went with. A little less expensive, but I like the flat top that has a little bit of pivot to it. Not the tallest...so while doing the engine removal I have several blocks of wood under it. But i think these jacks will be great for something quick.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8899_200318899
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 AM
FabianS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seen something like that at my local Canadian tire. I don't want to mark the jack points as I'm kind of **** retentive. I'm sure I'll figure something out. I just don't want to F the car or myself up in the precess.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:37 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I built these years ago... very positive lock to the top of the jackstand and the engine motor mount. I did not want the car to slip off the jackstand. There is a pin that locks this to the top of the stands, and then another pin that goes inside the hole on the car's mount.

The pin is positive locking, another variant of the locking ring with magnets attached.

Cheers,

Mike
Must have been a slow day. Those look really nice. Sometimes well worth going above and beyond to have something special.

The main thing is we all agree we don't want to die under our cars.

When I last had my car jacked up on all four a friend stopped by and admired my esco's and the other precautions I was taking - wheels under car etc. He recited a death by falling car story that could have been him. Scary stuff. What a way to go....
Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

More like it was a bit of fun ...however I would always keep a jack or two under the car even with the jackstands as a double safety thing.... like my large floor jack under the centerline of the engine, or I have a pair that can be used on each side of the front on the suspension mounts....

cheers,

Mike
Old 04-26-2013, 01:02 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by x50type
Jackpoint stands nice but..........$299 and up each.

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/
Just FYI it's $299/pair with pads BEFORE discount for paid Rennlist members.

There are many comments about these on Rennlist if you search the site. Plenty to read while you're making your decision. Whichever way you decide to go, pick the method that you're comfortable will protect you and your car. Working with your car in the air is a bit like being on the track - if things go wrong they go wrong fast. And the damage will generally be greater than the savings.

Last edited by jpoint; 04-26-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Jack stands?