Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid sides and monoball tops - noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As per cupcar, these need to articulate or you WILL end up with a broken shock.

The spring perch needs to be spaced away from the bottom of the shock mound as shown in ToSi's photo, without this you will A) hear the knocking and B) potentially break the shaft of the shock. The spaces is optional depending on the style of top spring perch.

The spacers have either a 12mm ID or a 14mm ID depending on the shocks used.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:24 AM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Something doesn't make sense here, the monoball is supposed to articulate.

If you have removed range of motion at the monoball, then the only thing left for motion is bending of the shock shaft. I think where they say "optional depending on set up" they mean it is either a 12 or 14 mm thick spacer, not elimination of the spacer.
Yeah, that makes sense. I have extra spacers on the way from rennline after discussing with them. My question is, if the range of articulation allows the mount to strike the hats isn't that also a problem and is there any other adjustment to remedy the knocking? Also, the oem mounts don't have this articulation, so how is the required lateral movemt accomplished? Through the flexing of the rubber?
This saga reminds me why I should've paid more attention in geometry class
Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 AM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Originally Posted by trophy
As per cupcar, these need to articulate or you WILL end up with a broken shock.

The spring perch needs to be spaced away from the bottom of the shock mound as shown in ToSi's photo, without this you will A) hear the knocking and B) potentially break the shaft of the shock. The spaces is optional depending on the style of top spring perch.

The spacers have either a 12mm ID or a 14mm ID depending on the shocks used.
Strangely enough the knocking was eliminated on the short drive around the block I took but I see what you mean by the stress on the shock shaft. I'm getting a lot of practice taking these on and off.

Won't I also need to adjust the spring height to to compensate for the spacers?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmattingley
Yeah, that makes sense. I have extra spacers on the way from rennline after discussing with them. My question is, if the range of articulation allows the mount to strike the hats isn't that also a problem and is there any other adjustment to remedy the knocking? Also, the oem mounts don't have this articulation, so how is the required lateral movemt accomplished? Through the flexing of the rubber?
Yes, motion is in the rubber. Not knowing the Rennline stuff, it sounds to me, that since the spring perch is hitting the mounts, like you need more spacer, not less. Is their enough thread left at the top to allow that? A stack of proper ID washers could even be used.

You would need to adjust the spring height to get back the ride height setting, but if you only add a few millimeters, that might not be needed.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ +1
Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 AM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Yes, motion is in the rubber. Not knowing the Rennline stuff, it sounds to me, that since the spring perch is hitting the mounts, like you need more spacer, not less. Is their enough thread left at the top to allow that? A stack of proper ID washers could even be used.

You would need to adjust the spring height to get back the ride height setting, but if you only add a few millimeters, that might not be needed.
There is enough thread. The spacer thickness is around 5mm I think. One was not enough. Appreciate everyone's help with this.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

The shoulder at the top of the shock should end up approx 38mm below the upper surface of the mount (touching the body of the car). Next time you have everything apart, double check you're close to this measurement.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Originally Posted by ToSi
The shoulder at the top of the shock should end up approx 38mm below the upper surface of the mount (touching the body of the car). Next time you have everything apart, double check you're close to this measurement.
The shoulder is the hat, or something else?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

It's the step that contacts the underside of the top hat.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:17 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

It's the step that contacts the underside of the top hat.
Got it. Where did you come up with that measurement?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:35 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Stock mount is 30mm thick, the spacer Bilstein includes is 8mm.

The rennline hat is 10mm thick, select washers to make the net height of the Rennline mount about 28mm.

Didn't think of it earlier but you can use the 8mm Bilstein spacer above the hat vs. ordering more from Rennline. Honestly though, I think they recently added these & you might be one of the first users. Bummer they didn't provide more details, especially since you're using their top mounts as well.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Stock mount is 30mm thick, the spacer Bilstein includes is 8mm.

The rennline hat is 10mm thick, select washers to make the net height of the Rennline mount about 28mm.

Didn't think of it earlier but you can use the 8mm Bilstein spacer above the hat vs. ordering more from Rennline. Honestly though, I think they recently added these & you might be one of the first users. Bummer they didn't provide more details, especially since you're using their top mounts as well.
I reassembled using three spacers that provide the necessary 38mm clearance, and when assembled the mount can no longer touch the hat when articulated. Also, there is enough thread for securing the lock nut. I think this will work, but still need to install and test. Thanks to ToSi for the help!

Last edited by dgmattingley; 04-29-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Guys,

I have been dealing with a couple of you on this issue and just came across this thread so figured I would provide an update. Since the introduction of our Rennline Strut Mounts, we have received a lot of requests for a custom spring hat from customers using both RS Strut Mounts and our Strut Mounts with their Bilstein Pss9 and PSS10 suspensions. When we developed these spring hats, we basically took the RS spring hat and re sized it to work with the PSS9 and PSS10's. We pulled the measurements off the RS spring hat, combined them with measurements supplied from Bilstein, and ended up with the spring hat shown in Don's images.

After being contacted by two customers, Don being one of them, we were notified that there was a clearance issue when using these with our strut mounts. Don was very helpful in providing feedback and with this help we have determined that the lower spacer stack needs to be taller in order to avoid strut mount contact when used with our strut mount. We will be contacting all purchasers of these spring hats who have also purchased our strut mounts and we will be sending them the additional bushings required for this configuration. If you have not been contacted and have purchased this setup from us or one of our distributors, please give us a call for these new bushings.

As always we greatly appreciate the feedback that we receive from customers like Don, and it is through feedback like this that we are able to evolve and develop our product line to the best that it can be

Thanks for your continued support over the years,

Tom Rittenburg
General Manager
Rennline Inc
802.893.7366 x105
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennline
Hey Guys,

I have been dealing with a couple of you on this issue and just came across this thread so figured I would provide an update. Since the introduction of our Rennline Strut Mounts, we have received a lot of requests for a custom spring hat from customers using both RS Strut Mounts and our Strut Mounts with their Bilstein Pss9 and PSS10 suspensions. When we developed these spring hats, we basically took the RS spring hat and re sized it to work with the PSS9 and PSS10's. We pulled the measurements off the RS spring hat, combined them with measurements supplied from Bilstein, and ended up with the spring hat shown in Don's images.

After being contacted by two customers, Don being one of them, we were notified that there was a clearance issue when using these with our strut mounts. Don was very helpful in providing feedback and with this help we have determined that the lower spacer stack needs to be taller in order to avoid strut mount contact when used with our strut mount. We will be contacting all purchasers of these spring hats who have also purchased our strut mounts and we will be sending them the additional bushings required for this configuration. If you have not been contacted and have purchased this setup from us or one of our distributors, please give us a call for these new bushings.

As always we greatly appreciate the feedback that we receive from customers like Don, and it is through feedback like this that we are able to evolve and develop our product line to the best that it can be

Thanks for your continued support over the years,

Tom Rittenburg
General Manager
Rennline Inc
802.893.7366 x105
Are you making a kit for the RS Front mounts with Bilstein as well = tube nut + spacer?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Are you making a kit for the RS Front mounts with Bilstein as well = tube nut + spacer?
+1

I been trading calls with Tom today on this. Would be great f they did it versus having to deal with a machinist you do not really know. I also asked ToSi where he sourced his.

Quick Reply: solid sides and monoball tops - noise