Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Headlight/foglight protective film

Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Headlight/foglight protective film

Can anyone comment on the precut Lamin-X Protective Film Headlight Covers Porsche 993?
Ease of installation?
Quality of product?
Protection qualities of the film?

Thanks so much in advance, gentlemen
Old 04-20-2013, 02:13 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

I got it a long time ago. It's pretty easy to apply, but as you put it on it will stretch and deform slightly. not a huge deal, but it you're über-**** retentive about your headlight film, it could be a problem.

The instructions say that you should use barely any water when you apply because it will hinder the bonding abilities of the film. Well, I did it exactly as they said for my E39 (three squirts of water from a spritz pump) and the film stuck too early and when i tried to reposition, the glue pulled off and the film was ruined. I got another set (at 1/2 off from Lamin-X (still a rip off)), and this time I saturated the headlight lens with water and applied. I was able to reposition and get it right this time. The film has had no "bonding" issues at all and is indeed perfect. Hopefully this info will prevent someone else from having as frustrating an experience as I did that first time!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:29 AM
J.Graham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently ordered a set for headlights & fogs from FDM. Haven't applied them yet but I'm sure they'll be fine. Can't go wrong for $40. http://fdmotorsports.net/993-headlig...ens-protection
Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 AM
lopro
Banned

headlghtarmor.com is the best

Ive used laminex or lameX - many freinds have tried others with little results but headlight armor is amazing.

I have some film new in package forsale 50 shipped. GT yellow film.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:31 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

I bought/installed the Pre-Cut kit from Lamin-X about 6-7 months ago and thought it was "okay". I think the film itself is a high quality product and it arrived at my door pretty quickly. It's easy to install at long as you use a generous amount of the alcohol/water solution to ease positioning. Squeegee it all out and you won't have any issue with it adhering from now until the apocalypse! They only downside I had was that the "pre-cut" part of the product left a little to be desired. It was not a direct fit and I had to do some trimming after they were installed. Really not a big deal because it's pretty easy to cut with a sharp razor, but I found myself wondering why I needed to trim it at all.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I've used xpel.com, I think THEY are the best.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM
nine9six
Banned

Ed,
You think Xpel is the best based upon what first hand knowledge, work, or testing of the vasious products on the market?

From what I currently understand there is 3M, Xpel, and Lamin-x products. Precut prices range from $40 Lamin-x - $55 Xpel.

Can you please provide a basis for your comment on Xpel, as it sounds like you have first hand knowledge about the various products.

Thank you for the sharing of your knowledge with the others that may be wondering the same.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

I agree with Ed. I also installed xpel and in my opinion it is a quality product in material and pre-cut shape is perfect. I put mine on about 4 years ago and they still look new. DIY video is on the website and a install tool is included. Good luck on your search.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Yes, my knowledge is first hand, based on very expensive H1's on my 911, and sort of expensive lenses on my 993. Cut has been perfect, and the alcohol mix, a squeegee and a hair dryer make quick work of installation. No issues with extra trimming or the material not laying flat.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Oh, and not having compared pricing, based on the comment here, it seems like $15 is not much to worry about, if there is a delta in quality.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 AM
nine9six
Banned

Nothing left to search here...
I agree completely with your most comprehensive response. Thank you for thaking the extra time to provide a basis for your initial response.
Based upon the info you provided, I will be going with the Xpel due to their quality, ease of application and fitment.

Thanks to all RListers who responded!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight/foglight protective film