Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Turn signal stays on solid when car is off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
make_or_break
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my very similar issue fixed (it was the left side signal lights that would stay on solid from time to time). Had to replace the main alarm control unit to do so, though. Yes it was a bit pricy...but at least I don't have to roll down the window to do hand signals every time I need to hang a louie. Worst thing about it though that in the The Big Scheme of Things this repair was only a small part of a very expensive visit to the shop (valve guide replacement).
Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 PM
micnicholas
Intermediate

Default could be switch in column too

Man than dang alarm again. Makes sense since it flashes your signals when locking/unlocking.Wouldn't have been my first suspicion though.

If I leave my turn signal engaged, either direction it will stay on with car off. I did not know it was suppose to stay on though, I thought it was related to my non cancel.

My right side will flash normal when driving but will not self cancel after you turn. No normal clicking noise when it should cancel. Left is fine & cancels. So I figured my issue is the switch in the column at the end of the lever. I think it comes as an assembly with wiper lever/switch as well, gotta pull steering wheel probably but could be worse. Cheaper starting point than that that alarm & I need it regardless. Otherwise I'll work around the alarm before I personally will replace the pricey immobilizer.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:20 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i found this happened to me when i turned my car off with the indicatior in the "on position".
I went back to the car and put it in the "off position" but i believe i had to turn the car back on to make it understand.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Vax
8th Gear

Doberdog, were you able to resolve your issue? I have the same problem with my 96 c2.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:19 AM
MDamen
Pro

I am having the same issue. It is the alarm control unit under the passenger seat. The relays inside get stuck. You can confirm this by tapping on the unit with a screwdriver or other long implement and of the lights go off, it is the alarm unit.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:55 AM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re the above. Same issue here. Jabbing the alarm unit a with a stick I keep in the door pocket releases the relay. I went so far as to locate and purchase a couple relays. I opened the box and was dismayed to see about 6 or 8 identical relays. I had no way of determining the offending relays at the time so I buttoned it back up. Maybe I spritzed the connectors with contact cleaner. Anyway, it's been fine ever since. I say, if it works, don't fix it.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 AM
MDamen
Pro

Was it difficult to open up? I just had a similar module on my BMW repaired. Relay problems in the module. I'm thinking of opening up the alarm unit and checking the relays.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:43 AM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

It wasn't difficult to open. Removing the seat is an effort but that's about it. Just don't drop any screws through the several cutouts in the pan. They can get lost in there and rattle around.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Jeff U
Instructor

Originally Posted by MDamen
I am having the same issue. It is the alarm control unit under the passenger seat. The relays inside get stuck. You can confirm this by tapping on the unit with a screwdriver or other long implement and of the lights go off, it is the alarm unit.
Thanks guys!!

I had this problem this morning, left side turn signal lights stay on after turned car off. The green arrow turn signal indicator on tachometer was on solid.

Found this thread and gave the module (black electronic box under passenger seat) a few gentle whacks with a screwdriver and success, the lights went off.

Quick Reply: Turn signal stays on solid when car is off!