Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Difference between XZN socket and Triple Square 12 pt. Socket ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Difference between XZN socket and Triple Square 12 pt. Socket ??

Trying to get my pressure plate off and people have posted that its an 8 mm XZN socket, and 10 mm for flywheel.

I have an 8 mm what looks like a triple square socket, but it just doesn't seem to fit right, despite cleaning the bolts. And, of course I don't want to force it it.

Is the XZN socket a special type of Triple Square socket, or are they the same thing?

Many thanks if you can set me straight.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by mstolo
Is the XZN socket a special type of Triple Square socket, or are they the same thing?
Now you have me wondering because RLers use either to hold the alternator shaft while performing a belt change.

The XZN...

The Triple-Square...

Googled....they are the same.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 PM
SchnellAuto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what every you do.. do not stick a torq socket to loosen up a triple square socket...it will strip. especially pressure plate ones...just get the right socket..and be patient.. Snap on makes a good set...been there done that...i had to take the motor to a professional bolt or snapped bolts removal place..the price of the set is cheaper than the labor to take the stupid part of the bolt out..

Lemon
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Exactly Alex. I have the one on the bottom, the black one, which I think is a triple square, which I have used with no issue to do my belt.

And, agree with Lemon, I have no issue buying some tools to prevent the heartache of screwing it up. Like I said the Triple isn't an exact fit and i'm sure not going to put a hammer to it.

Hopefully someone can explain that there is in fact a difference.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by mstolo
Like I said the Triple isn't an exact fit and I'm sure not going to put a hammer to it.
According to a site I went to, they are the same.

Maybe the one you have is damaged or does not meet tolerance.

The triple square, also known as XZN, is a type of screw drive with 12 equally spaced tips, each with a 90 degree angle. Its name derives from overlaying 3 equal squares to form such a pattern with 12 right-angled tips. Common sizes are 6, 8, 10, and 12 mm. Triple square drives are used in high torque applications, such as cylinder head bolts and drive train components. Triple square fasteners are commonly found on German vehicles such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Volkswagen.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Alex, I missed the bottom of your post saying they are the same. Hmmm...maybe need to do some more cleaning of the bolts. There is so much clutch dust in there.

Mine is pretty new.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:34 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

On an old pressure plate, definitely clean the bolt heads/openings, and then tap the triple square in to make sure its bottomed. I have better luck if I use a larger ratchet with a longer handle, you can apply good torque without struggling, that struggling often makes you wobble a bit and the tool is not longer seated well.

The pressure plate bolts are not very tight but often they are threadlocked in, or over time and heat cycles they get cemented in.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Thought I would post a follow-up on this.

I received my new XZN sockets from Amazon ($45) VIM Tools and what a difference. These slipped right into the bolts holding the pressure plate and the flywheel. No problem. I even tried the triple square that I had (like the black one above) and it still didn't seat well. So I don't know what the technical difference is between the two, but spending the money for some good true "XZN" sockets was well worth it. Don't even try to find locally...just order online.

Clutch and flywheel now off, onto my next phase of the project.

Cheers.

Vim (VIMXZN400) 9 Piece XZN Triple Square, Spline Drive Bit Set - Amazon.com Vim (VIMXZN400) 9 Piece XZN Triple Square, Spline Drive Bit Set - Amazon.com
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As with manu tools, some are better than others. I bought a cheap set (only one I could find that was in stock) and they did not fit well. I searched for a better set, cant recall the name but I bought through Robbins Auto Parts) they fit much better.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used an XZN (see snap-on/bluepoint pic above in Alex's post) on my alternator and it didn't fit until I clean and re-cleaned the threads, using a penetrating oil and a small wire brush to help get all the dirt and rust out of the splines. After the first bit of cleaning, it started to fit, but needed more work to get it firmly seated.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the exact same set and they have worked great.

Quick Reply: Difference between XZN socket and Triple Square 12 pt. Socket ??