Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - SAI Port Clean-Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 12:05 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah- I'd avoid doing the SAI until you need it unless you're pulling the motor. You'll need "baby hands" for this as well - AND a lot of strength- these valves seem to get almost BONDED to the block- I had to pound a 21 MM socket over the valve- which I had broken the top off of- to get it out. If you do decide to go there, put some anti-seize on the threads before you screw them back in. It's a doable job especially if you have a lift ( a friend with one helped me).
Old 05-24-2022, 12:59 PM
LRsCarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Good advice! Any thoughts on what a “perfect” idle should sound/feel like from my last post?

Thx,
LR
Old 05-25-2022, 11:59 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

Idle should be around 600-700 RPM and smooth- maybe you have a loose or bad spark plug if it's bobbling as you describe? I had a loose plug a few years ago and i'd get a mis-fire code. I tightened it up ( it was very loose- like almost ready to fall out) and the code stopped.

Last edited by PRSWILL; 05-25-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:55 PM
LRsCarreraS
Rennlist Member

No codes, but suppose the plugs could be fouled. Will have a look at the plugs. If I understand correctly you can only reach half with the engine in? Only has 46,000 miles but lots of years… what’s the plug interval on these cars?

Thx,
LR

Last edited by LRsCarreraS; 05-25-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:39 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 411 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by LRsCarreraS
No codes, but suppose the plugs could be fouled. Will have a look at the plugs. If I understand correctly you can only reach half with the engine in? Only has 46,000 miles but lots of years… what’s the plug interval on these cars?

Thx,
LR
Change the plugs and the wires unless you know they’ve been changed recently. It makes a noticeable difference on these cars.

You can reach all the plugs. It’s just a question of how “easily”. You’ll need to remove a fair amount of stuff to get access to them all. Plenty of DIYs out there on it.

Wires are a PITA too.

/
Old 05-25-2022, 03:07 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike
Change the plugs and the wires unless you know they’ve been changed recently. It makes a noticeable difference on these cars.

You can reach all the plugs. It’s just a question of how “easily”. You’ll need to remove a fair amount of stuff to get access to them all. Plenty of DIYs out there on it.

Wires are a PITA too.

/
wait a minute… that one spark plug … is a B*tch to get out! If I recall!
Old 05-25-2022, 03:13 PM
LRsCarreraS
Rennlist Member

Ok, will go through records to see if they were done. As my kids say about video games, I’m a grinder (if it’s physically possible, I’ll keep trying until I get it done…). May be a good excuse to buy some nonstandard tools too…
Thx
LR
Old 05-26-2022, 01:24 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
wait a minute… that one spark plug … is a B*tch to get out! If I recall!
So much so that I've seen dealer mechanics skip it. Pretty frustrating trying to trouble shoot a problem only to find that plug was 2x the age of others.

Plugs are a PITA but getting em done gives you a solid foundation to build off of. You now have a known quantity/quality. The other thing I see skipped often is injectors. Having em professionally cleaned and tested always delivers eye opening results. The O rings that hold em in get dried out and may cause vacuum leaks as well.

With spark plugs I go OCD on gapping em. Don't wait till you're getting ready to install to do so. Take your time and treat that measurement the same as any other critical item. While it may not make much of a difference initially as things "wear in" the accuracy of that becomes more important.

Over my years of wrenching I've come to appreciate a finely tuned engine. Optimizing plugs, injectors and valve adjustments (not applicable here) always rewarded me with a silky smooth engine with even mechanical noises.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:33 PM
LRsCarreraS
Rennlist Member

Yep, spark/air/fuel…. Will have a look at plugs first. What’s the recognized best fuel additive to clean injectors for these cars, short of a professional job?

1998, Ronin (Movie), Audi S8, “We’re gunna need bigger injectors.” One of best car chases ever!

Thx,
LR

Last edited by LRsCarreraS; 05-26-2022 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY - SAI Port Clean-Out