Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Erratic pop when engine is warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Would a valve not closing all the way cause a popping at idle that would disappear at higher speeds?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by techman1
Would a valve not closing all the way cause a popping at idle that would disappear at higher speeds?
I thought of this and ran a compression test on Saturday. I hope that this was the right test to tell me if I have a valve issue or not. The results were:
  1. 185
  2. 190
  3. 192
  4. 180
  5. 190
  6. 190
I appreciate the input! Should I also run a leakdown test?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I would think a leak would be more evident than 5 psi. If it has just recently started it may be a hot spot in the cylinder or something. Your earlier issue with only 1 distributor was another datapoint that does not seem to help.

In all honesty, with the symptoms, I would run a few tanks of fuel system cleaner and italian tune-up driving to make sure combustion chambers and valve seats are clean, then recheck it.

Shade tree talk, no professional diagnosis contained....
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Strange! According to my notes and this based on the original harness on my 993, the bottom spark plug caps are all identical.
What I believe I found was that the middle lower side boot did not fit into the other holes. IOW, boot for bottom spark plug 2 did not fit in the hole for bottom spark plug 3. I do not have a picture to prove that however... The next time I have the car jacked up, I'll check.

You did make sure that the ignition leads are fully threaded into the caps.?
Yes. All successfully unthreaded and rethreaded and then checked with the ohmmeter.

I really need to know... Can the wires ohm out perfectly, but still not operate properly at high voltage?

I'm pretty sure that I don't have arcing going on. I don't hear any, and I could not see any in pitch dark.

But I must admit I am getting closer to buying wires so that I can rule them out.

I'm curious to see how/why a bad coil that should affect all cylinders, only affects your #6 cylinder.
I know it doesn't make sense. Probably not one of my better ideas.

Except for the 50K mile plug that I found in 6 under the power steering pump, and this has been replaced with new (well, they all have), I don't see why 6 is special. But the popping does come out the right side of the exhaust.

Heck, the lower side plugs wires for cylinder 1 and 3 were swapped for a year before I figured this out. Never a CEL. I figure that the wires were likely swapped when the top end was done at 44K miles.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
both distributor rotors should be at the same cylinder at the same time.
Mike,

I set the engine to TDC. Now I know that there is a red mark on the flywheel in my car. Oh, and notice the nice new Porsche OEM belts

Name:  Flywheel TDC (DSCN6239).resize.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  274.5 KB

And this is where the rotors were pointing. Both at the molded in bump on the side of the distributor bodies. The angle of the picture is not the best, but they are definitely pointing to the right spot.

Name:  Rotor Both (DSCN6240).resize.jpg
Views: 3217
Size:  265.4 KB

I removed the rotors and the gray plastic caps to see what was underneath. Here is the shaft driven distributor. I think that is the hall sensor in there? Service records show that the hall sensor was replaced at 48K miles in 2003.

Name:  Distributor Internal II (DSCN6245).resize.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  266.9 KB

And here is a picture of the crud that is in the belt driven distributor. I cleaned most of this stuff out with a Q-tip. In the picture, it looks yellow, on the Q-tip, it looks darker, a bit greasy. I could see the belt, but I wouldn't know how to assess its condition.

Name:  Distributor Internal I (DSCN6244).resize.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  279.3 KB
Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah, looks good. I usually use the caps/rotors to make sure that the correct lines, so if you slap the rotors/caps back on, they both should point to the #1 firing, unless you are on the other side of the cycle (i.e TDC exhaust, not compression). No matter, I doubt if that is your issue.

And yes, even though an ohm check is correct, the wires can behave weirdly when high voltage pulses are being put through them. If the test failed, then the line is failed, if it passes, there may still be an issue.

Your compression is Ok except for 4 - even that can be a variation. did you it a few times? I doubt if this is the issue.

I listened to your video again - it sounds like the exhaust is dead steady, and above it is a weird mechanical noise that is random and sounds like something crunching. Its hard to tell from a computer, does that describe it in real life? Remember a misfire can be from a number of things, including the computer picking up a vibration in the sensors that bridge across the pistons on each side of the engine. A mechanical issue could be misread as a misfire if it causes enough of a vibration in the engine to trigger the sensor. If the engine is idling and doing that noise, does the engine shudder or any vibration correspond to that random noise?

Really stupid ask - does it stop when the clutch is in?

Ok, if we also take in the data that the car runs smooth on one distributor, but not on two (and that is repeatable), that implies the two distributors are fighting each other. I assume you double checked all the spark plug wires, none were crossed and they are all running to the correct sparkplug? Visual is not enough, continuity testing works. I like Alex's suggestion of swapping 4 and 6 - but of course #6 is the worse one of all to move. Do you have spare wires around to swap? Is the tin off the engine so #6 upper is easy to get to?

Does that noise happen when the engine is still cold?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-09-2013, 10:08 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by BesideTheBox
Can the wires ohm out perfectly, but still not operate properly at high voltage?
The wires themselves from M3 terminal to M3 terminal have near zero resistance (far less than an ohm). Its the cap that will have 3K ohm resistance. The original Beru wires are tin plated copper. I do not see them being intermittent unless you have a break in the wire.

Brad, you now stated that you have this issue while running on either distributor. The chances of both ignition cables, both caps being faulty to cause a P0306 fault seems strange.

If George or Loren can confirm, I am under the understanding that codes P0301 through P0312 are for misfires...I take it this is strictly electrically related and not affected by any other mechanical issue (sticking valve, etc).
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default Coil Measurement

Not sure how I missed this, other than to say that I was initially assuming the coil was fine since the engine runs fine at high rpm. So it may have been shortsighted to dismiss it.

George had previously posted a misfire diagnosis chart(https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-p0306.html#14). It gives the static measurement specs for the coil at 20C. My coil measures out of spec. Doesn't necessarily mean this is the issue, but it does mean it should be investigated further.

At 20C, the resistance between terminals 1 and 4 at 20C: 5.0 to 7.2kOhm
My measurement at 8C: 7.9k Ohm
My measurement at (warmer than 8C - engine was warm): 8.5k Ohm

Resistance at 8C is too high and resistance is higher when the coil is warmer.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I had a muffler once that rattled - I could of sworn it sounded like a failed rocker or valvetrain - very weird. The internal baffle weld had cracked and it became loose. It had a random feel like this one, swapped in a different muffler, no noise... but I did not get misfire codes.. !
Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Mike - Lots of good questions.

Yeah, looks good. I usually use the caps/rotors to make sure that the correct lines, so if you slap the rotors/caps back on, they both should point to the #1 firing, unless you are on the other side of the cycle (i.e TDC exhaust, not compression). No matter, I doubt if that is your issue.
I think things are lined up right.

And yes, even though an ohm check is correct, the wires can behave weirdly when high voltage pulses are being put through them. If the test failed, then the line is failed, if it passes, there may still be an issue.
This is good to know. I don't believe that I'm having an issue with wires, but I think I am going to start looking seriously into having a spare set.

Your compression is Ok except for 4 - even that can be a variation. did you it a few times? I doubt if this is the issue.
I did several of the cylinders two or three times. I don't recall if I did 4 multiple times or not. My assessment is that doing a compression test is not an exact science. Since I was doing this myself, I'd crank twelve revolutions, then switch the key off, run around the back of the car and throw myself onto the pavement so I could read the gauge. Kind of amusing.

I listened to your video again - it sounds like the exhaust is dead steady, and above it is a weird mechanical noise that is random and sounds like something crunching. Its hard to tell from a computer, does that describe it in real life? Remember a misfire can be from a number of things, including the computer picking up a vibration in the sensors that bridge across the pistons on each side of the engine. A mechanical issue could be misread as a misfire if it causes enough of a vibration in the engine to trigger the sensor. If the engine is idling and doing that noise, does the engine shudder or any vibration correspond to that random noise?
I would say that the popping does have a metal like sound to it. I thought for a long time that there might be something loose in the right muffler. I can't remember now why I ruled that out. Maybe the muffler has to reach a certain temp and airflow for the noise to occur. I will look into pulling off the muffler. I'm guessing that bolts are going to be snapping and I'm not looking forward to that. I do have some PB Blaster.

Regarding engine shudder, I do have shudder when the engine is warming up as it is idling from a cold engine. If the popping is actually something with the muffler, then this is likely a different issue.

Really stupid ask - does it stop when the clutch is in?
Not a stupid question at all. No, it does not stop when the clutch is in.

Ok, if we also take in the data that the car runs smooth on one distributor, but not on two (and that is repeatable), that implies the two distributors are fighting each other. I assume you double checked all the spark plug wires, none were crossed and they are all running to the correct sparkplug? Visual is not enough, continuity testing works. I like Alex's suggestion of swapping 4 and 6 - but of course #6 is the worse one of all to move. Do you have spare wires around to swap? Is the tin off the engine so #6 upper is easy to get to?
I certainly though the other day that the distributors were fighting each other. Then I was getting the popping even from a single distributor. So those tests should be deemed non-repeatable.

I have double checked all the wires, none crossed, all are running to the correct cylinders.

Does that noise happen when the engine is still cold?
Yes, but not as obvious until the engine is warm.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh, I just remove/cut/break off the old muffler clamp bolts, and replace them with stainless steel fasteners - much better corrosion control, and a high strength connector is not required there.

It still can be a weak coil, but the nature of the noise disturbs me. Usually a misfire is directly in the tone of the exhaust, this sound is almost like its on-top of the sound.

If you can do a quick muffler swap, try that, or at least take the existing ones off and shake them - if there is a rattle, that can generate noise.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Oh, I just remove/cut/break off the old muffler clamp bolts, and replace them with stainless steel fasteners - much better corrosion control, and a high strength connector is not required there.

It still can be a weak coil, but the nature of the noise disturbs me. Usually a misfire is directly in the tone of the exhaust, this sound is almost like its on-top of the sound.

If you can do a quick muffler swap, try that, or at least take the existing ones off and shake them - if there is a rattle, that can generate noise.

Cheers,

Mike
Snapped both bolts and pulled the right muffler. No rattling when I shake it. A little bit of fine balled up steel wool came out. Normal? Could not get any loose / rattling noise out of it. Should I tap or smack it with a rubber mallet or similar?

Started up the engine and although it was loud, I -think- there was irregular firing. Really, really hard to say definitively.

Last edited by BesideTheBox; 04-09-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 PM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

My car has been making this exact same noise for about 1500 miles now but with no misfire codes, and also only coming from the right side. I chalked it up to something wrong with the muffler because thats what it sounds like, and I'm currently waiting on a set of Fisters. I will report back with my findings once I install them. It looks like you're working quickly to fix this though so you may have an answer before I do. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

1) pictures of lower plug wires please.
2) triple check you have the wire <-> cap routing correct.

Alex posted this before:
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcochran1
My car has been making this exact same noise for about 1500 miles now but with no misfire codes, and also only coming from the right side. I chalked it up to something wrong with the muffler because thats what it sounds like, and I'm currently waiting on a set of Fisters. I will report back with my findings once I install them. It looks like you're working quickly to fix this though so you may have an answer before I do. Good luck!
Awesome! You are the first person to say you are also having this noise. With the Fisters, will the noise be gone? or will the noise become unnoticeable? That does not need an answer... just something to think about.

Please do follow up.

Quick Reply: Erratic pop when engine is warm