Sponsored by:

OT...tried to buy a STI today, ended up like April Fool

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts
Default OT...tried to buy a STI today, ended up like April Fool

ad in Sunday paper from local reputable MB dealership-2011 Subie STI, sedan, pthis, pthat, 22k miles, $21,900...yes, $21,900. Double check price on their website-just stock photo's of car, but a complete listing of options, color, etc. Dealership closed on Easter, I send an email saying I'll folow up first thing Monday on the car.

Call dealership first thing, verify with salesperson that car is indeed an STI, recent trade on a CLK, yada, yada,yada...yea $21,900. So, lets put a downpayment on the car, I'll pay advertised price-sales person, says that that isn't needed, car will be available when I get there at the end of the day.

No, I'd like to lock the car in at the advertised price, so someone else doesn't offer $10 more than me. So, downpayment applied from CC, buyer agreement filled out over the phone. I arrange to see the car at the end of the day, if as described, I tell them I'll have a check for them tomorrow, or I can do a bank transfer.

Right before I leave work, I check their website again...car now $31,900. Well...that's more like it, I knew that something had to be wrong...to good to be true and all you know. Sales person calls me about 5 minutes later..."joe, we have a problem". I kicked the buyer agreement up to the sales manager for review, and he caught the pricing error. Seems the "girl" who does the advertising made an honest mistake, and they have no intention of honoring the incorrect advertised price.

I had a follow up with that sales manager regarding them honoring the buyer agreement, etc...he tells me I must have known that a mistake was made regarding pricing. Yes, I told him there could be multiple reasons why the car was priced well below market...not an STI, maybe 122K miles, and not 22K, maybe salvage title, or maybe your dealership made an honest pricing mistake and undervalued the car. I told him that happens somewhere everyday, and someone steals a car. He says "you thought today was your day, huh?"

Interesting exchange really.

I've been researching used cars for a few weeks now, mostly VW TDI's, but also, Subies...as I really need AWD. I'm just tired of spending over $400 a month on gas for my other DD-16 mpg truck. If VW made a Golf R with a TDI...shall we call it TDI-R-4 Motion, 6 speed manual, I'd buy one tomorrow. I seem to always be drawn back to the 04 R32's, but that's another story really.

Anyway, wanted to share here. Hope everyone had a safe April Fool's Day.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On the April Fools side of things, my younger co-worker spent time last night sniffing his monitor trying out Google Nose, their new smell technology tying scents to web search. He admitted this to us....bad idea, somethings you keep to yourself....
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

And I'm sure that if the "girl" had mistakenly advertised it at $41,900 and you had signed a sales agreement, the sales manager would have had the salesman call you and tell you that you only had to pay $31,900 because they couldn't "honor" a sales agreement based on a mistake in pricing.

And car dealers wonder why people almost universally hate them....
Old 04-01-2013, 08:25 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm hung up on that little fact that it looks like they accepted your offer. Or maybe not............

Anyway, what makes you think you were going to substantially lower your fuel bill with an STI? I never got better than 22-23 with my bone stock WRX (and its replacement the Saabaru 92X). Factor in premium fuel, and it's almost a wash. (Why I kinda just went back to driving the 4S full time back then.)

But buying something that new, that cheap, could ease the pain at the pump.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
But buying something that new, that cheap, could ease the pain at the pump.
that was the draw right there..

Soon, I'll be driving the C4S back and forth to work. That alone will lower my monthly gas bill(super included in the calculations) by almost $100. In Jan, I worked every day but 3 for the month. My gas bill was almost $700 for the month. I never paid attention to my fuel cost before then.

I just put a mpg/cost chart together to estimate monthly savings. Figuring an average of 22 work days per average month...and the same commute. Now, my next project can be 100 miles away, and not 40 one way...it's happened before after all.

Naturally, my best cost savings come's from a TDI estimating 40mpg. That cuts my monthly more than in half. My problem here in Central New York is...well, real winters. I have NEVER, NEVER in my adult life...driven anything but 4wd, or AWD in winter. The last 20+ years with dedicated winter rubber to boot-Nokian's naturally.

While I would truely love a TDI wagon or 5 door hatch, I just am afraid to loose the confidence that I get from winter driving with all 4 pushing. Whatever I buy, and it should be this summer, considering my current 02 Sport Trac-164K miles, is gonna need the front axle rebuilt sooner or later...will be a 2-3 year filler. I'm past the point of throwing bad money after good regarding the Sport Trac. It's been a spectacular truck, engine/tranny(5 speed manual) is solid, fenders, hood, and sills are rotting off it now.

So, used WRX 08-10 probably-$18-20K, and MAYBE 25mpg
used Impressa's...damn near same mpg but less sporty

*newer Subie 2.0 motor gets estimated 32 mpg, and the base model is near $18K new, but not diggin em'

hunt down an 04 R32 for $15-17K, MAYBE 21-23 mpg...but always wanted one, and loads of fun, and probably little future depreciation.

In a nutshell...AWD, manual transmission, decent mpg...30 preferred. Budget is under $20K ideally. As mentioned above, just something for the next 2-3 years probably.

Hoping that VW starts expanding the TDI line by then, so I can get what I want.

edit...also, while a long time Audi fan...I am deathly afraid to again consider an old Quattro for daily duty. The A4's never felt right, and the cost of maintenance on every one I owned still burns fresh in my mind. Always likes the Allroads, but ya ain't gonna get any good mpg in that.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And here I am contemplating what kind of dual purpose 911 I should prepare and leave at our theoretical to-be-purchased Scottsdale house--open or closed, with or without A/C..............
Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

03 to 04 BMW 330XI is another choice for 15k. 6 speed manual. 38/62 rear wheel bias power transfer. Bullet proof engine but needs a few things to freshen up which are not expensive compared to pcars. I love my 325XI and only wished I ponied up the extra $7K when buying it new for a 330.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

I am torn on selling the R. We can talk in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
And here I am contemplating what kind of dual purpose 911 I should prepare and leave at our theoretical to-be-purchased Scottsdale house--open or closed, with or without A/C..............
Ken,
I've got friends in AZ and visit several times a year. You are going to want that AC... Unless you are only going in snowbird season. I'd think Cab to enjoy the weather there, but you won't be using it much during the summer, as you bake rather quickly. How insulated are the cab tops? You have the "heat getting in" problem as much as the "cold AC getting out" to deal with.

As you allude to, this is not a bad problem to contemplate, versus the OP's snow issues.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
03 to 04 BMW 330XI is another choice for 15k. 6 speed manual. 38/62 rear wheel bias power transfer. Bullet proof engine but needs a few things to freshen up which are not expensive compared to pcars. I love my 325XI and only wished I ponied up the extra $7K when buying it new for a 330.

I hear lots of Bimmer horror stories...this vintage more immune than newer?

Originally Posted by Cactus
I am torn on selling the R. We can talk in a couple of weeks.
planning on it
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 277 Posts

Joe- my vote is go VW JSW tdi 6 sp. Throw on a set of Blitzzaks, and you're good. The manual actually gets 45 mpg.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Watch out for the later model STI's - problems with brittle pistons and thus broken ring lands. Seems to be a good car if you keep to the proper fuel and no mods - but who does that?

Cheers

Mike
Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
I hear lots of Bimmer horror stories...this vintage more immune than newer?
E46 is the last generation before idrive. These cars like their maintenance schedule performed like pcars. My car has always started and runs like a dream. They hold value better than Audi if that says anything.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

STIs have crazy resale values
I've been temped... Maybe after I completely run my 07 impreza into the ground
Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Biggest thing with E36, E46 BMW's is cooling system... Radiator hoses, plastic fittings, and especially water pump. Also, early E46's had problems with rear subframe mounting locations cracking.

Stay on top of the cooling system and you should be pretty reliable drive-train wise.

Quick Reply: OT...tried to buy a STI today, ended up like April Fool