Sponsored by:

When to replace Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:47 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When to replace Shocks?

I have a 1997 993 Targa, with 47,000 miles. Although I don't see any oil leaks (on the ground at least), I was wondering when it is advised to replace the stock shocks. They are green so I assume they are Monroe.

I don't track the car, and I can't say I am having any issues, but it seems like the ride is not as comfortable as it use to be at 13,000 when I got the car. Could just be my imagination, since my daily driver is an Audi Q5 and is very comfy.

Should I check for oscillations and not damping the springs? Or is there some other type of test? I'm not looking to spend money, but I would like a comfortable ride without worrying about a stiff ultimate handling setup since I don't track it. Maybe they are fine,but I have no baseline to compare to.

I also noticed that I hear squeaks in the suspension going over bumps, but I just took it out of winter storage so it could just be the car settling, and the temps are still just in the 50's here in Michigan.

I can always bring it to my local Porsche mechanic and get his opinion as well.

Thanks.

-Ray
Old 03-31-2013, 03:04 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Replace the dampers. If they aren't shot they are close (age and miles). And even new these were crappy dampers. Get some Bilsteins or Konis or something similar and you will be amazed at the handling improvement. Tons of threads on this subject. The search function will give you lots to read. Enjoy the slippery slope!!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:09 AM
SchnellAuto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just changed mine...original monroes....at 23K miles...it is safe to say they were shot! look at neo take the red pill thread..

and i can help by greasing up the slope for you!

lemon
Old 03-31-2013, 03:16 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default suspension

Hi Ray

I also have a Targa now with 54k miles. When I purchased her with stock suspension at 49k, I thought the car felt "bouncy" and unusually soft for a sports car. So I upgraded the shocks/springs/front bushings and now she feels very firm footed and I drive streets.

My C2s has only 32k miles with original stock suspension and I it feels soft relative to my Targa. And I can "hear" the suspension once in a while going over bumps. It's not bouncing and soft yet as my Targa felt at 49k but I'm guessing I will need to upgrade the C2S suspension soon.

There's a ton of postings on this subject. Just giving you my 2cents as I drive a Targa.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by RFMASSA
I would like a comfortable ride without worrying about a stiff ultimate handling setup since I don't track it.

Thanks.
-Ray
Ask the owners of Koni FSD shocks. It seems they all wanted and got a comfortable ride without sacrificing any aspects of the car when it was new.

Last edited by IXLR8; 03-31-2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Corrected Koni model name.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by luckyJ
Hi Ray

I also have a Targa now with 54k miles. When I purchased her with stock suspension at 49k, I thought the car felt "bouncy" and unusually soft for a sports car. So I upgraded the shocks/springs/front bushings and now she feels very firm footed and I drive streets.

My C2s has only 32k miles with original stock suspension and I it feels soft relative to my Targa. And I can "hear" the suspension once in a while going over bumps. It's not bouncing and soft yet as my Targa felt at 49k but I'm guessing I will need to upgrade the C2S suspension soon.

There's a ton of postings on this subject. Just giving you my 2cents as I drive a Targa.
Nice to hear from someone with two 993's (and one being a Targa) and can do a side by side comparison. I have read many of the older thread on this but could never find a w ay that a driver could definitively know 'it's time' to change them.

Seems like most people were saying Bilstein's will give a hard ride. What brand did you use?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Ask the owners of Koni FSK shocks. It seems they all wanted and got a comfortable ride without sacrificing any aspects of the car when it was new.
Thanks for the reply. From previous thread on this subject, it sounds like Koni is the preferred over Bilstein if you don't want too firm of a ride, which I don't. I'll look into those.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SchnellAuto
i just changed mine...original monroes....at 23K miles...it is safe to say they were shot! look at neo take the red pill thread..

and i can help by greasing up the slope for you!

lemon
But how did you know to change them? Just by comparison when you drove with the new one? For me, it just feels like the car is not as 'solid' feeling when i drive it. Feels a bit looser. Might be my imagination after 10 years of ownership!
Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:24 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stace
Replace the dampers. If they aren't shot they are close (age and miles). And even new these were crappy dampers. Get some Bilsteins or Konis or something similar and you will be amazed at the handling improvement. Tons of threads on this subject. The search function will give you lots to read. Enjoy the slippery slope!!
So no need to change the springs, just the shock in your opinion?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:20 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 391 Posts

So no need to change the springs, just the shock in your opinion?

Thanks.
Springs only need to be replaced if you want to lower the ride height. I had Koni FSD's and M033's put on earlier this month and fell in love with my car all over again.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pirahna
Springs only need to be replaced if you want to lower the ride height. I had Koni FSD's and M033's put on earlier this month and fell in love with my car all over again.
What was it that was most noticeable to you with the new shocks?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:19 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Ask the owners of Koni FSK shocks. It seems they all wanted and got a comfortable ride without sacrificing any aspects of the car when it was new.
I assume you meant Koni FSD not FDK?

Also, is the ride height the same with the Koni shocks when using the OEM springs? I only see one model of Koni shocks for the 993 on their web site.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

I assume you meant Koni FSD not FSK?
Ooops...going back to my electronics days. Yes, I meant FSD.

Check with Paragon Products. They have them on sale at the moment with free shipping. $950.88 for a set of four.

And do a search in the 993 section for Koni FSD. Rinty and others have them. They can provide first hand info.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:48 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

I am going with the Koni FSD as well after reading all the reviews and more importantly for me based on my budget. The current deal at Paragon is hard to beat.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a great deal on MO33's? Want to ditch the SUV look on my C2.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
I am going with the Koni FSD as well after reading all the reviews and more importantly for me based on my budget. The current deal at Paragon is hard to beat.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a great deal on MO33's? Want to ditch the SUV look on my C2.

Thanks!
I would try Sunset, FDM and Gert.

The only issue I've seen raised with FSDs (both here and VW/Audi forums) was/is the question of long term durability.

If I was looking to upgrade and planning to keep the car more than a few years I'd go with PSS10 or KWV3 (wait an extra year if budget dictates...)

Quick Reply: When to replace Shocks?