Sponsored by:

When to replace Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks I had FDM on the list for sure.

What's your take on the Bilstein HD's they hit my current budget mark as well.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
Thanks I had FDM on the list for sure.

What's your take on the Bilstein HD's they hit my current budget mark as well.
My car is setup w/ HDs and RoW M030 springs/sways... I would avoid the HDs, for the all-up cost and hassle to make the change there are much better choices available. IMHO.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by RFMASSA
What was it that was most noticeable to you with the new shocks?
Feels smother over bumps as well as a more sporty feeling but some of that could be attributed to the M033's as well since the springs were replaced at the same time. The best part is that my wife doesn't complain about a rough ride and I'm sure she would have with the HD's I had originally planned to go with.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:45 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 391 Posts

I am going with the Koni FSD as well after reading all the reviews and more importantly for me based on my budget. The current deal at Paragon is hard to beat.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a great deal on MO33's? Want to ditch the SUV look on my C2.

Thanks!
I would call Darin at FD Motorsports. Although not listed specifically on their website he said he could get FSD'S and could have beat the price I paid buying them online. They stock M033's as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default suspension brand

I ended up using Bilstein HDs with ROW M030s. I had originally used H&R sport springs but found the ride too stiff/hard and low. The elephant sport hardness bushings make the steering wheel feel heavier than stock (somewhat like a BMW with M sport package ) but steering is more precise and tight IMO.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 AM
SchnellAuto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for what its worth..i got pss 10 on sale..

lemon
Old 04-01-2013, 10:20 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Can anyone point me in the direction of a great deal on MO33's?
Sunset Porsche at 1-800-346-0182.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:54 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Although I'm sure many have done it, it's my understanding that KONI doesn't recommend lowering springs with their FSD's. Perhaps, since the M033's are the softer ride, those would be acceptable.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
My car is setup w/ HDs and RoW M030 springs/sways... I would avoid the HDs, for the all-up cost and hassle to make the change there are much better choices available. IMHO.
This is the first time I've heard of someone not recommending HD's. it was my impression that the HDs were a happy medium between stock and going w harsher riding PSS 10s/9s...
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 AM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best test is to take both hands at each corner of the car and push down with all your weight/ It should rebound in one bounce back to level.Also, when stopping hard. If it bounces more than once it should be replaced. Also notice if you are getting a lot of swaywhen cornering.Milage is but one factor and not the ultimate criteria.It comes down to how the car has been driven. If it has had an easy life and not driven hard they could last a 100K.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

There is absolutely nothing wrong with HD's. I have them with M033ROW springs, and am quite happy. The euro comparison had them better than FSD's for all around handling, save the worst of roads, IIRC. You do feel jolts on crummy roads, but IMO, any sporty car will. My old Infiniti with factory sport shocks sure did.

There is no way a 993's shocks will be worth a damn at 100k miles. Will they damp, yes, but they will be shot.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
This is the first time I've heard of someone not recommending HD's. it was my impression that the HDs were a happy medium between stock and going w harsher riding PSS 10s/9s...
I do not have PSS9's or 10's, I have the HD's, but it's my understanding the benefit to the PSS10's is the adjust-ability. I think on the softest settings the PSS10's are softer than the HD's (Steve W. or one of the other suspension experts can correct me if I'm wrong please). Of course the PSS10's are more expensive.

On the 2 993's I've owned I replaced the shocks pretty much right after I got them (6x k mi & 36 k mi) and on both of them when I took the shocks out one or more of the 4 shocks could be collapsed w/ little more than a feather.

Enjoy the ride down the slope....
Old 04-05-2013, 08:38 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Originally Posted by EMBPilot
I'm not the only one. I think Joe put it best --

Originally Posted by JM993
I hated my Bilstein HD/M030 spring setup. The Bilsteins were the problem as they feel like they're valved for a 10000 pound garbage truck - especially the compression dampening. I swapped in a set of KW V3s which are double adjustable. They are awesome. BTW - my car sees lots of "aggressive" street driving but no track.

Cheers,
Joe
See that thread for more info.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AKTUNG
The best test is to take both hands at each corner of the car and push down with all your weight/ It should rebound in one bounce back to level.Also, when stopping hard. If it bounces more than once it should be replaced. Also notice if you are getting a lot of swaywhen cornering.Milage is but one factor and not the ultimate criteria.It comes down to how the car has been driven. If it has had an easy life and not driven hard they could last a 100K.
Thanks. I did do that test and so did the facility where I get my work done on the car. They said the shocks seemed fine, and said no need to replace them. And this was from the owner of the place who has a 993 C4, so he knows the car.

So I guess I save some money for now.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

HDs pair well with ROW M033 springs

You can have set the ride height wherever you want (unlike FSDs) and the combo has a very nice, sporty ride.

I have installed and driven all of the above...
M030 springs with HDs can be too stiff for some
We have never had anyone complain about M033 + HDs

Same with FSDs as long as ride height is not a priority.

Quick Reply: When to replace Shocks?