OIL FILTERS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
You know that Porsche does not manufacturer oil filters. Mann and Mahle are the OEM suppliers to Porsche.
Perhaps, not sure who the supplier is right now, but the Porsche filters are DIFFERENT inside. This was posted a while ago, with detail cross sections to prove it. That is why the Turbos are Porsche ONLY filters. Why would you settle for something less?

Gotta run, otherwise I would look that thread up for you.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Why would you settle for something less?

Cheers,
Mike

Because humans aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

They'd ask what the best oil to get is and then ask whats the cheapest oil filter they can get.

I'll buy the OE Mahle filter on the top and they'd buy the Fram on the bottom. These are for the same vehicle.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
I get Mahle filters FWIW.
Same here and the last set I got still had "Made in Austria" on them.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mahle filters seem to be superior to the Porsche factory ones, but ONLY the Porsche filters work properly on the Turbos. For an NA car, the Mahle filters are the way to go.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Here's the comparo link, very well done.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=66189
Old 03-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Your challenge: Find the thread on the dissection of the various filters and you can see the differences. Come and report back what you think.

Cheers,

Mike

Originally Posted by Knight
Here's the comparo link, very well done.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=66189
Comon Baron, you ruined the challenge - I wanted to wait to see if the OP actually went to the trouble of doing the search and posting, instead of sitting back and letting us do the lifting .....

The conclusion of that thread was mixed although it tended to favor Mann over Porsche for NA cars because of the pleat count and pressure value, and the Porsche filter is a must have for the Turbo. I have a Turbo, so of course will stick to Porsche brand.

Here is a thought - if the Mann filter does not have a check valve, and given its position in height on the engine, its it possible that some oil may drain or be siphoned from the filter when the car is stopped, even on a non-turbo car? That may mean you are starting the car up every time with a slight delay as the filter circuits fill up before the oil is fully pressurized in the engine? That would take some experimentation, I do know the small oil filter will dump oil similar to being overfilled when changing, but that may not mean all the oil that should be there is.

Highest wear is on startup as wel know, so that alone would make me want to stick to Porsche only.... not sure how to test for it though.

Cheers

Mike

Quick Reply: OIL FILTERS