993 oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tctung
Peace of mind? Here is a true story. Once upon a time there was a mechanical engineer at Volkswagen who conducted this experiment on his own Golf. He changed oil every 1K miles and always drove the car at oil's proper operating temp until the car ran 25K miles total. Then he tested all 4 cylinders for compression and found they were as good as new.

However, who gets to call how much enough is? You, because your car, your call. You can choose to change your oil every 1K miles like the mechanical geek above, or change it every 6K or 10K like most of us do, or change it every 35K or 40K based on what Mobil has advertised.
Did he check his bearings? Oil pump? Compression is only a small indicator ... anyways you know the drill. I think it should be a combination of oil testing and inclination to be **** that gets us to the change interval - which is different for almost everyone. At least not many people take it to the change intervals as recommended by Porsche - whom I tend to believe make long on purpose because they have everything to gain in the long run, and it looks good on the advertising ...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use AMSOIL in all my cars and motorcycle. 5W-40 FOR THE TARGA. I think it is the best you can get.But you guys know about the oil threads. Most controvercial subject you can bring up.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Ok WHY do you think that is best? What actual measurement data do you have? And why are you running such a light oil? And .... well you get the drift - just joking with you, as you said most controversial topic ever.

The reason its controversial is there is a lack of analyzed real data that we can draw a conclusion from, and a great deal of opinions. I am using my lab tests as my basis for a decision, but even that is a very small sample size, and I do not have the time, resources or cars to go through all the oils to see which one works best...

It's fun to discuss, but it also really confuses people..

cheers,

Mike
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 PM
tctung
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike J
Did he check his bearings? Oil pump? Compression is only a small indicator ... anyways you know the drill.
He did check his bearings and a few other stuff. They were as good as new, too. I guess he meant to prove to people the common sense that clean oil lubricates better than dirty oil. (Albeit a common sense, he actually conducted an experiment to prove it true.)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Being a Newbie Aug 2011 with a 97 C2 with 102,000 Miles - I ran the car with what was put in it by the Dealer, since it was Fresh. Then I got to reading some of these poil threads. My consumption was 1600 Miles per litre.
Then I Changed oil to M1 V Twin 20 w- 50. Did my first Change at 108,000.
Mt first run down to the ALMS Sebring - and Back I used One Litre for the trip - 2400 Highway Miles.

Since that trip, my consumption has reduced to say 16 to 1800 miles per litre combined city / highway.
TJ
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 PM
weldcrane
Cruisin'

thank you for all the responses i think i'll run m1
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

The previous owner of my 993 tiptronic used Magnatec 10/40 from 57k miles to 183k miles over the 5 years or so that he had the car. It was pretty much all motorway driving. The car was serviced and the oil was changed every 10k miles. I then bought the car and stripped the top end due to a broken piston ring. The internals in the engine were in excellent shape and very clean indeed. The only metal parts that I replaced apart from the valve guides were the pistons and cylinders. The originals were fine and in spec, but by coincidence there was a very low mile set being advertised here on Rennlist and I could not resist.

So I like Magnatec 10/40.

Berni

Last edited by berni29; 03-25-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: 993 oil