Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:53 AM
SchnellAuto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a friend use royal purple 20w-50 ..hows that oil?

he says its good..

lemon
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by SchnellAuto
i have a friend use royal purple 20w-50 ..hows that oil?

he says its good..

lemon
I'd check the manufacturer's specs for ZDDP, that's the most critical after wt.

I use M1 15w/50 or Brad Penn 20w/50 whichever is handy. 993 Cups used to come w/ 15w/40 back in the days before ZDDP reduction

M1 V twin is not readily available where I live or that would be added to the list
Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Richardew's 96 993 with 292,000 miles on the clock. Changes oil every 10,000-15,000 miles.
If I can recall over the years, think its Mobil 1 15w50 he uses. Thats a pretty good white paper or use case for oil.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I always see the comments about an oil and "it works for me" or "this oil is fantastic" but you really do not know until you take your engine apart and check, and even then, since most of us are not the original owners, you cannot directly tell the results.

I think we have a few external indicators that we can use however, one is oil testing, and the other is oil consumption.

I have changed the oil (V-twin) on the turbo 3 times since I have owned it, and my Blackstone results show a decrease in wear-indicated metals every time. For me, that is a good indicator that the oil is doing its job, and the Zn levels appear to be really good with this oil, even after a change. I cannot tell if how well this oil is doing on the Turbo's themselves, but I do have an oil analysis report that shows V-Twin is very good a handling localized heat spikes, like what occur in the turbo bearings on shutdown.

As far as oil consumption goes, there are some cars that change oil consumption rates depending on the oil brand and weight (which makes sense). I would take a balance of good oil analysis results and acceptable consumption ( if influenced) to choose my oil. Of course, with doing one oil change/year, it will take years to see a pattern!!

I agree we can leave the oil in much longer, but many of use store the car, and go with the yearly oil change that is not mileage related - its moisture related and, well, peace of mind.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Mobil V-Twin 20W50.

Another one to look into would be the Joe Gibbs DT50 15W50.

Brad Penn good, too.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I always see the comments about an oil and "it works for me" or "this oil is fantastic" but you really do not know until you take your engine apart and check, and even then, since most of us are not the original owners, you cannot directly tell the results.
Bingoooooo!!!

I love the other comment so often heard, "this oil is just so much more slipperier". Oh boy...

The BMW Owner's News this month has an article on motorcycle oils if you are interested.

I have yet to have an oil related engine failure.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 477 Posts

OK, so the test did not see the usual cold starts and heat cycles. And its a bit of a sales pitch with the "equivalent of 66 years", but what oil isn't a sales pitch.

I've run my daily driver Honda on Mobil 1 since I bought it new. I know that I only have a mere 148,000 miles on the engine, but the cams (the lobes) look like they came right out of the package. The engine is as smooth as the day I bought it. Might be because I've done all the maintenance myself .

Million Miles Test
Old 03-25-2013, 01:42 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

V-twin 20-50 cause smarter people than I, read build and tear engines down for a livelihood, recommend it

For those interested its on sale at advance auto. Stock up
Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by rlme36
For those interested its on sale at advance auto. Stock up
Right. $2 off until April 1st. Usually $10.99/quart.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, see its on for $9/bottle. About a buck cheaper than Amazon.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Mike J

I agree we can leave the oil in much longer, but many of use store the car, and go with the yearly oil change that is not mileage related - its moisture related and, well, peace of mind.

Cheers,

Mike[/QUOTE]

Why not twice a year? Why not every 3 months? Wouldn't peace of mindX4 be worth a couple more 100 dollars?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Once a year because it corresponds with storing the car, which for many is a yearly ritual. Even if the oil is lightly used, it will have some hydrocarbons and other contaminants that I would rather not have sit static in the engine for a storage period without any mixing or movement - so the changing cycle corresponds to the storage. If I stored the car twice a year for say 2 months at a time, and i put some reasonable mileage on the oil, I might even consider changing it for that.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
tctung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
Why not twice a year? Why not every 3 months? Wouldn't peace of mindX4 be worth a couple more 100 dollars?

Peace of mind? Here is a true story. Once upon a time there was a mechanical engineer at Volkswagen who conducted this experiment on his own Golf. He changed oil every 1K miles and always drove the car at oil's proper operating temp until the car ran 25K miles total. Then he tested all 4 cylinders for compression and found they were as good as new.

In theory, molecules of full syn die hard and can give you 15 to 20K miles per change. And the only reason you have to change it is because it has caught enough dirt and moisture, enough to worsen its lubricating capability.

However, who gets to call how much enough is? You, because your car, your call. You can choose to change your oil every 1K miles like the mechanical geek above, or change it every 6K or 10K like most of us do, or change it every 35K or 40K based on what Mobil has advertised.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:07 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Once a year because it corresponds with storing the car, which for many is a yearly ritual. Even if the oil is lightly used, it will have some hydrocarbons and other contaminants that I would rather not have sit static in the engine for a storage period without any mixing or movement - so the changing cycle corresponds to the storage. If I stored the car twice a year for say 2 months at a time, and i put some reasonable mileage on the oil, I might even consider changing it for that.
I was thinking of this when I was changing the oil on my 95 this weekend. Sadly, I only put 2K miles on the car during the last year. I changed the oil and both filters. The oil "looked" new. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it didn't contain contaminents gathered over time, but driving the car as I do - at least once a week, in a relatively mild climate, fully warmed up - at least 20 miles each time it's driven, no extended storage periods, I wonder if I could stretch the intervals to say 18 months or 2 years........

Cheers,
Joe
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you are not storing the car, then drive it for another year - you can also get the oil analyzed to check on what is happening, that is the only accurate way. If you get a Blackstone lab report, it will tell you things like moisture, metals, etc., and they will suggest how much mileage you can get out of it.

On my car, I do about 5,000 miles/year, and usually garage it for a few months in the winter - driving once in a while, but not regularly, the weather is just not fun and I would rather drive the truck in the crap. So I change it every year. My oil reports also say the oil has much more life, so the decision is actually more of a personal choice (like personal hygiene.. ).

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: 993 oil