993 Forum 1995-1998

Sub Frame Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:20 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwolf427
I just ordered the kit and was wondering if the install can be done with the car on floor jacks.
Yes, you can easily do it on properly installed/quality jack stands. You will need a proper vocabulary, patience, air chisel, and the usual tools. Just start the lip in the recessed area of the subframe. Work side to side, and it'll get easier. The hardest part was making enough room to pry old bushes out, since my suspension was intact. Do the bottom halves first, so then you can hit the tops from inside. Don't chew up the subframe! Good luck.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Yes, you can easily do it on properly installed/quality jack stands. You will need a proper vocabulary, patience, air chisel, and the usual tools. Just start the lip in the recessed area of the subframe. Work side to side, and it'll get easier. The hardest part was making enough room to pry old bushes out, since my suspension was intact. Do the bottom halves first, so then you can hit the tops from inside. Don't chew up the subframe! Good luck.
Thanks for the advise Overboosted28! I am excited to see how much of an improvement the bushings will provide. My car has 171,xxx miles and is in need of a suspension refresh.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Just did these last week. My car was on jack stands. One thing to note is that the whole sub-frame has to be lowered an inch or so to get the top bushings out and then back in. If you don't have an air chisel, which I didn't, you need to be creative and figure out other ways to push these out . I used a smaller hand held cold chisel to start and remove the rear bottoms. they are the easiest and you shouldn't have any problems with them.

The front bottom bushings have room for a 2 jaw gear puller to fit in and press them out.

As far as the top bushings, I dropped the sub-frame down about an inch, put a round aluminum slug with a hole in the center up under the bushing and tightened the bolt to press them out.

All of the bushings have elongated holes in them that need to be lined up between the top and bottom when installing them. Take notes when you pull the old ones out so that you line the new ones up the same as the old ones. Good luck

Old bushing
Name:  QqgKCnA.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  117.7 KB

Here are some of the tools I used.

Name:  h91UYK9.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  142.7 KB

Last edited by Bradford; 01-06-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Jwolf427
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
Just did these last week. My car was on jack stands. One thing to note is that the whole sub-frame has to be lowered an inch or so to get the top bushings out and then back in. If you don't have an air chisel, which I didn't, you need to be creative and figure out other ways to push these out . I used a smaller hand held cold chisel to start and remove the rear bottoms. they are the easiest and you shouldn't have any problems with them.

The front bottom bushings have room for a 2 jaw gear puller to fit in and press them out.

As far as the top bushings, I dropped the sub-frame down about an inch, put a round aluminum slug with a hole in the center up under the bushing and tightened the bolt to press them out.

All of the bushings have elongated holes in them that need to be lined up between the top and bottom when installing them. Take notes when you pull the old ones out so that you line the new ones up the same as the old ones. Good luck

Old bushing

Here are some of the tools I used.

Hi Bradford,

Thank you for the help! I just received the rennline bushing kit. I hope the install goes smoothly with minimal use of curse words.

Justin
Old 11-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Swallowtail
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Sadly, I threw away my initial hand drawn design sketches and don't have the CAD files.

I will see what I can do with providing a sketch with dimensions, but it will take a bit of time.
Hi Cupcar, I also could use the dimensions. Did you happen to find something since your last reply in this thread?

cheers
Old 11-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Swallowtail
Hi Cupcar, I also could use the dimensions. Did you happen to find something since your last reply in this thread?

cheers
Funny this should come up, I ran across my original drawings while looking through files the other day. On the right where I indicate quantities of each piece recess diameters I think it should be 4 X 2.25" recess instead of 2 X 2.25" and 2 X 2". You need to check this.

The inch dimensions were for the CAD drawings.

The spherical self aligning washers were picked from this list in stainless steel
http://workholdingcomponents.mortonm...igning-washers

I hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Very nice
Old 11-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Swallowtail
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Funny this should come up, I ran across my original drawings while looking through files the other day. On the right where I indicate quantities of each piece recess diameters I think it should be 4 X 2.25" recess instead of 2 X 2.25" and 2 X 2". You need to check this.
Wow, what a coincidence, thanks for posting! Great idea with the spherical washers. I will try to redraw your sketch next week and post it here.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

If anyone chews up their subframe while doing this, I have a spare set of subframes in good condition.

Quick Reply: Sub Frame Mounts