Notices

Sub Frame Mounts

 
Old 01-05-2016, 10:20 PM
  #31  
OverBoosted28
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
OverBoosted28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central California
Posts: 3,479
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jwolf427 View Post
I just ordered the kit and was wondering if the install can be done with the car on floor jacks.
Yes, you can easily do it on properly installed/quality jack stands. You will need a proper vocabulary, patience, air chisel, and the usual tools. Just start the lip in the recessed area of the subframe. Work side to side, and it'll get easier. The hardest part was making enough room to pry old bushes out, since my suspension was intact. Do the bottom halves first, so then you can hit the tops from inside. Don't chew up the subframe! Good luck.
OverBoosted28 is offline  
Old 01-06-2016, 05:51 PM
  #32  
Jwolf427
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jwolf427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 277
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28 View Post
Yes, you can easily do it on properly installed/quality jack stands. You will need a proper vocabulary, patience, air chisel, and the usual tools. Just start the lip in the recessed area of the subframe. Work side to side, and it'll get easier. The hardest part was making enough room to pry old bushes out, since my suspension was intact. Do the bottom halves first, so then you can hit the tops from inside. Don't chew up the subframe! Good luck.
Thanks for the advise Overboosted28! I am excited to see how much of an improvement the bushings will provide. My car has 171,xxx miles and is in need of a suspension refresh.
Jwolf427 is offline  
Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 PM
  #33  
Bradford
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Bradford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Westlake Village, Ca. Lake Tahoe, ca.
Posts: 1,531
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Just did these last week. My car was on jack stands. One thing to note is that the whole sub-frame has to be lowered an inch or so to get the top bushings out and then back in. If you don't have an air chisel, which I didn't, you need to be creative and figure out other ways to push these out . I used a smaller hand held cold chisel to start and remove the rear bottoms. they are the easiest and you shouldn't have any problems with them.

The front bottom bushings have room for a 2 jaw gear puller to fit in and press them out.

As far as the top bushings, I dropped the sub-frame down about an inch, put a round aluminum slug with a hole in the center up under the bushing and tightened the bolt to press them out.

All of the bushings have elongated holes in them that need to be lined up between the top and bottom when installing them. Take notes when you pull the old ones out so that you line the new ones up the same as the old ones. Good luck

Old bushing


Here are some of the tools I used.


Last edited by Bradford; 01-06-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Bradford is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 02:06 PM
  #34  
Jwolf427
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jwolf427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 277
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
Just did these last week. My car was on jack stands. One thing to note is that the whole sub-frame has to be lowered an inch or so to get the top bushings out and then back in. If you don't have an air chisel, which I didn't, you need to be creative and figure out other ways to push these out . I used a smaller hand held cold chisel to start and remove the rear bottoms. they are the easiest and you shouldn't have any problems with them.

The front bottom bushings have room for a 2 jaw gear puller to fit in and press them out.

As far as the top bushings, I dropped the sub-frame down about an inch, put a round aluminum slug with a hole in the center up under the bushing and tightened the bolt to press them out.

All of the bushings have elongated holes in them that need to be lined up between the top and bottom when installing them. Take notes when you pull the old ones out so that you line the new ones up the same as the old ones. Good luck

Old bushing


Here are some of the tools I used.

Hi Bradford,


Thank you for the help! I just received the rennline bushing kit. I hope the install goes smoothly with minimal use of curse words.

Justin
Jwolf427 is offline  
Old 11-09-2017, 12:47 PM
  #35  
Swallowtail
User
 
Swallowtail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 121
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cupcar View Post
Sadly, I threw away my initial hand drawn design sketches and don't have the CAD files.

I will see what I can do with providing a sketch with dimensions, but it will take a bit of time.
Hi Cupcar, I also could use the dimensions. Did you happen to find something since your last reply in this thread?

cheers
Swallowtail is offline  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:05 PM
  #36  
Cupcar
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: California Boardwalk, Skanderborg Denmark
Posts: 3,467
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
Hi Cupcar, I also could use the dimensions. Did you happen to find something since your last reply in this thread?

cheers
Funny this should come up, I ran across my original drawings while looking through files the other day. On the right where I indicate quantities of each piece recess diameters I think it should be 4 X 2.25" recess instead of 2 X 2.25" and 2 X 2". You need to check this.

The inch dimensions were for the CAD drawings.

The spherical self aligning washers were picked from this list in stainless steel
http://workholdingcomponents.mortonm...igning-washers

I hope this helps.








Cupcar is offline  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM
  #37  
Sword_of_Spirit
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dusselheim
Posts: 338
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Very nice
Sword_of_Spirit is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 03:26 PM
  #38  
Swallowtail
User
 
Swallowtail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 121
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cupcar View Post
Funny this should come up, I ran across my original drawings while looking through files the other day. On the right where I indicate quantities of each piece recess diameters I think it should be 4 X 2.25" recess instead of 2 X 2.25" and 2 X 2". You need to check this.
Wow, what a coincidence, thanks for posting! Great idea with the spherical washers. I will try to redraw your sketch next week and post it here.
Swallowtail is offline  
Old 11-11-2017, 10:31 AM
  #39  
Tlaloc75
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Tlaloc75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,658
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

If anyone chews up their subframe while doing this, I have a spare set of subframes in good condition.
Tlaloc75 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sub Frame Mounts


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: