Help With Porter Cable 7424xp

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 12:10 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help With Porter Cable 7424xp

Hey guys,

I'm new to the detailing world and just picked up a Porter Cable orbit buffer to start my paint correction journey.

I just pulled it out of the box and plugged it in just to make sure everything was good to go. One thing I noticed is that it sounds like a lot of chatter in the mechanism... Almost like an angle grinder. I watched a few YouTube videos of the buffer, and I don't seem to hear this noise. That said, microphones can be deceiving. Is this normal?

I know I'm probably being overly anxious... But I always want to be 100% before I start pressing a fast rotating object onto my paint.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 AM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same one and it sounds more like a random orbit sander and not an angle grinder-if that makes sense. I know the sound you are describing and mine is not that. Maybe you can return it and get another one? I am happy with mine,by the way.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Put it under load to see if the noise changes - I have had one of these for 20 years now, and its works great, but mine is the previous generation - all metal construction.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
But I always want to be 100% before I start pressing a fast rotating object onto my paint.
That model isn't a true dual action like the Flex but it isn't a rotary either.

As soon as you apply a bit of pressure to the pad, that spinning will stop if it like the other polishers I have had.

As for the noise, it can sound like you have loose fasteners floating around inside the motor.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmm - don't agree that my PC is not a true dual action - I have a marker on the pad, and can see the rotation, and the Porter rotates and vibrates even under pressure, true true-dual action. Where it does not have such as strong tendency to keep rotating is when the pad is binding against a corner or edge - hence the marker on the pad top. If I am on a hood and press it enough to stall the head rotation, I am applying such significant pressure that I think is actually too much for polishing.

Remember I have a 20 year old industrial version of the ones they sell now (bought it when I was building kitchen cabinets for my house, so that would be 20 years), so its possible the head action is different since it's hard to stall it even with heavy grit sandpaper, never mind a foam polishing head. I originally bought it for sanding cabinets, where a proper dual action is required in order not to leave sanding marks on the wood. Perhaps there is a design difference between that and newer model, not sure?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-23-2013, 03:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hmm - don't agree that my PC is not a true dual action - I have a marker on the pad, and can see the rotation, and the Porter rotates and vibrates even under pressure, true true-dual action.

Cheers,
Mike
One way to know for sure, Mike.

If you can hold the pad from rotating, it isn't a true DA or one with forced rotation.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Again, I do not agree. You need to separate "Dual-Action" (or random orbital) vs. forced rotation. The PC rotates and vibrates with an elliptical semi-random pattern - that give a "true" random-orbital action in my definition. You actually telling me that if the polisher/sander can be stalled under excessive pressure, it's not random orbital? They are two separate and distinct features.

I do agree that the PC does not have "forced rotation", but you can also view not having that as a safety feature that does not rip up foam pads, nor throw the polisher if the edge gets caught.

I may have gone for a Flex or its competition if I was in the market, but I have a good PC already, it's random orbital polishing works great. What I do not agree is saying the PC is not a "true" random orbital, my many years of sanding fine cabinets and polishing cars with it would disagree with you.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-23-2013, 04:43 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I do agree that the PC does not have "forced rotation", but you can also view not having that as a safety feature that does not rip up foam pads, nor throw the polisher if the edge gets caught.
That has never happened, even the first time using it.

By the way, the rotation is very slow. 160 to 480 RPM based on the speed setting.

What I do not agree is saying the PC is not a "true" random orbital.
Just relaying what is said on forums and Youtube...and we all know that information found on the web is never wrong.

The phrase "true dual action polisher (or orbital)" does exist when Googled. It refers to "forced" rotation.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to a video of my running the buffer. I'm putting very moderate pressure on the buffer while it spins on the floor.

http://db.tt/A5lfLPLg

What do you guys think?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 274 Posts

yep, sounds normal
Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IXLR8
The phrase "true dual action polisher (or orbital)" does exist when Googled. It refers to "forced" rotation.
Of course that exists, its in the standard marketing blurb for the Flex.

I think we need to define "dual action" and "random orbital", then discuss what "true" means in this context.

If you Google "dual action" (as for a polisher or sander ), some definitions actually defined that it really means that you can use the polisher as a random orbital OR a rotary polisher - and it's switched some sort of mechanical switch. I am not sure if the Flex has a mechanical engagement that allows it to due a rotary action only - does it? Check out:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225210

For me, I assumed that random orbital == dual action. Both the Flex and the PC will rotate and oscillate at the same time. I think the discussion comes down to rotary stalling power.

What Flex branding does is equate rotary stalling power with being a "true random orbital" polisher (using random orbital == dual action), and that in my view is not correct.

The PC appears to be easier to stall than the Flex - that that does not mean they are not both "random orbital" - it just means that the stall power is different between two random orbital polishers.

I do not polish my cars hard enough to worry about stalling, I can get plenty of rotating power as well as oscillations (i.e random orbital action) for my needs. Remember that my particular PC is an older model designed for sanding, so its possible its action is more stall resistant than the newer models. i have not used an newer PC to comment.

I agree the flex likely has more rotary stalling power due to the nature of its engagement mechanism, but I also still think the PC also provides, along with the Flex, a true random orbital action.

Can we put this to bed now?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Can we put this to bed now?
No way! I have a true dual action and you don't .

I considered and almost went for the PC but feedback in my Concours and Car Care thread made me decide on the Flex. I wasn't worried about "stalling". My primary concern was how it felt to use (vibrations) and how quiet it was. No regrets despite the cost.

I have an old el-cheapo Wen 10 inch and it came with a tube of Dentu-Grip and ear plugs for good reason.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Have you every used a PC then other than reading reviews?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Have you every used a PC then other than reading reviews?
Owners comments. I wasn't about to buy both and then sell one.

Actually Mike, if I listened to "reviews"...such as this one, I would never have had bought a Flex.

This guy is a hoot to watch. According to him, a Flex is not for a novice. I guess I must be a pro then.

Last edited by IXLR8; 03-25-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
Here's a link to a video of my running the buffer. I'm putting very moderate pressure on the buffer while it spins on the floor.

http://db.tt/A5lfLPLg

What do you guys think?
I have an older 7336 Porter Cable ( metal housing, probably identical to Mike J's) .... and it's dead quiet compared to yours: definitely sounds as if something is loose.
Remove the pad and check the screws holding the eccentric weight, assuming that the basic design remains unchanged. Also, note that there is a different weight to match each pad size, which is stamped on the weight.

Quick Reply: Help With Porter Cable 7424xp