993 Forum 1995-1998

AMGfan Speedster Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Jon,
I'm local and would love to come see it in person sometime. I can also help drink beer, offer inane comments, ask silly questions, ect...
How come I've never heard of C2Design? From the pics it looks like you are up on the north side of town maybe?
Rick
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Top gear stepped up to some exotics I see.

car looks nice.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 PM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Hey Jon,
I'm local and would love to come see it in person sometime. I can also help drink beer, offer inane comments, ask silly questions, ect...
How come I've never heard of C2Design? From the pics it looks like you are up on the north side of town maybe?
Rick
Rick...I actually have lived all over Hillsborough county since I went to college @ USF in 1985. But now I live in the Ruskin area...C2Design is in Drew Park close to MB of Tampa. Great shop and they have done tons of Porsches...eventually they'll do a GT3RS 4.0 for me.

I'd love to meet up at the next Dupont Registry CC, Reeves Porsche CC, or next PCA gathering if schedule permits. I need to learn how to drive properly on the track, too. So you being an instructor would open up a new world to me.

I can drive fast in a straight line brother...but I'd like to make a decent turn or two...
Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Cool. I'm from NW Bradenton/Anna Maria, but I live in South Tampa now. Actually near the Channel 13 tower thing at Kennedy and Henderson, only 5 minutes or so from Drew Park...
Let me know next time you are headed this way, or are going to a C&C (never been to one.)
Also, it sounds like you would love to come to a Driver Ed at Sebring. Next one is September 21&22. I can tell you how to get registered.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:06 PM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

The 993 C2 cab arrived @ C2Design last Thursday. I drove it and it is pretty stout drive...time to rock n roll. It's headed to the body shop for 993 Turbo rear fenders and rockers...

Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGfan
The 993 C2 cab arrived @ C2Design last Thursday. I drove it and it is pretty stout drive...time to rock n roll. It's headed to the body shop for 993 Turbo rear fenders and rockers...

sweet little cab. Id throw the aerokit wing on it for a summer and then tear it down for the winter
Old 06-05-2013, 12:11 AM
obersturm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice Color Combo

Hi there,

again, I'm late to the party.
Interesting to read that getting the actual car seemed harder than getting 964 Speedster parts?

Good choice of color on your part.
Looks a bit like Butzi's:

Seems like I have to get my **** into gear (and finaces sorted ) to be the first to build a real Speed-Gelb 993 Speedster? :

Good luck with the build and keep them pictures coming.....
Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

Some ongoing body work...the OE front Turbo fenders came in, too...

Old 10-29-2013, 02:33 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Old 10-31-2013, 08:43 PM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

They were working on the Speedster cowl today...we are going to have the cowl ends extended to have a cleaner look...third brake light bar WILL disappear!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

why would you need turbo front fenders? Wouldnt the stock cabrio front fenders be the same?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

love this project and now I am thinking......

In terms of the windsheild and frame, how hard is it to find the parts, how hard is it to remove the stock windsheild and how much work to install the new windsheild?

Where does one find a speedster top and frame?

what work is required to the door glass? and how hard?

anything else that i am missing?

Budget to perform the conversion?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:34 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

I always thought NB and WB front fenders were the same and just the liners were different?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 AM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

From speaking with the project manager..."993 widebodys have flared fenders obviously which lead into flared rockers....that flare continues to the lower portion of the front fender(about a 4"x4" flared area)."

We could have gone 2 ways...one way was let the auto body shop do their magic and fabricate the fusion between the flared turbo rockers to the C2 cab front fenders OR just get Turbo front fenders. It was more expensive our route but I think it was the right choice.

The hardest part to find was the windshield frame...

Not sure about the Speedster cabriolet top because it is different from the C2 top...I've seen conversions though using the regular cabriolet top and if you do a search on past builds they can be more specific on the differences between the two and what needs to be done to get a functional top. For our purposes, it didn't matter since I am not using the top and getting rid of it altogether. This is not my daily driver and I like the idea of losing the weight of the top...we will be fabricating a cover for the Speedster for those instances when a sudden rain storm does roll by.

Not sure about the door glass either, since we won't have glass in the doors. This will be totally an open air car...

Budget...not be a smart ***...but I have no clue. I've told the shop owner and project manager to keep a tally of $5k and whenever that threshold is hit between subcontractors or his labor costs I would pay it...that way I don't have this huge bill at the end of the project.

I'm guessing between $75k -$100k...

1. Wide body and Speedster conversion
2. Total strip down to bare metal with underbody coating
3. New suspension, brakes, wheels, wire harnesses, etc...
4. Custom interior
5. Rennsport engine rebuild
6. Rennsport short ratio gear box
7. Delete top, A/C, stereo, bumperettes, and windows...

Goal is to have gorgeous euro Speedster wide body car that is as light as possible with the 3.6L maximized for street usability with supporting running gear upgraded. The interior is meant to be clean but retro but modern in the sense we will be using the best in leather and other materials...with specific attention to the small details.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:28 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

no 3.8L?

Love your build!

Quick Reply: AMGfan Speedster Project