Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How to align / adjust door windows.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 12:03 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How to align / adjust door windows.

Guys, I've only see a limited amount of info about this in my grand RL search. So if anyone knows the specifics of how to do this, it would save me the hassle of taking my entire door apart.

Apparently, my targa window (on driver's door) was tampered with before I owned it. The weatherseal hits the top of the window (pic 1). But, more importantly, the side of window does not align well against the seal b/w this window and rear window (pic 2).

I notice these bolts in slots with adjustments (pic 3). Which corresponds to what?

As you can see, the passenger side window is straight and has a much narrower gap b/w this window and back window (pic 4).

I have the workshop manual and all TSB's and I see no mention of this any where.
Attached Images     
Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its been a while since i've done it, but as I recall it was pretty straight forward once you have the door panels off. I think you just adjust the screws up or down which lowers raises the lift tray at the bottom. To get the angles right you adjust fore or aft +/- and that gets the alignment correct.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

The weatherstripping itself is adjustable too - there are four threaded capscrews holding the top rubber to the bottom of the roof rail, and two more holding the foam strip to the quarter piller. Its been a while since I was in there, but there is a way to push the foam seal (the one in your third picture) in and out to put the proper pressure on the window, but it does not change the inclination. You can access those screws by removing the coat hooks and takin out the cover below - cannot remember if you need to remove the internal covers for the rails, but I think so.

The window height and angle can be adjusted in the door, the front and rear window guides are both adjustable - Its been a while since I did those, so I am going by memory here. If you look inside the door, the guide rails for the door window can be moved around - you need to move those, but both the front an back since you want the window to be at a different angle. I seem to remember the access to those are from the rubber grommets in the door itself.

Its a lot of fiddling around - if the doors are too high, they will catch on the upper rubber seal, too low and they will leak - same goes for seal pressure and the door latch. Patience is key here!

I think I am just confusing people here - it would be easier to fly down and do this over a beer and BS!

Cheers,

mike
Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for giving me the information you did. I am sure I can figure it out as I fiddle with all the adjustments I find. Thanks again for your time.

You are ALWAYS welcome to fly down and have a beer. That's an open invitation my friend!

Marc G.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:41 PM
nk993
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Resurrecting old thread.

On a coupe, I get a door rattle that is only there when the window is fully closed, but disappears completely if the window is even a tiny bit open, what part of the window should I be adjusting? Height? Pitch? Window fram? Eyeballing it I can’t see anything with regards to alignment, but I don’t have a good eye for these types of things.

Quick Reply: How to align / adjust door windows.