Auto Transport: NJ to LA

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 343 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger

I used Demoise Trucking a few times with great results, though they seem to have gone awol....???

Yes.....we miss DeMoise. Bill closed shop and most of his drivers went to Intercity.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used Intercity just last month, see if Jerry can do the driving.
Very happy!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 PM
jwduncan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Intercity. Used them last month to ship from CA to VA. Satisfied customer.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:07 AM
Zamochit
7th Gear

[QUOTE=Cemoto;10282772]I made the mistake of "brokering" my BMW from San Antonio to Boston. Price was right but it was put on five different trucks to get here. The tool kit and jack were stolen from the trunk and no one knew which "broker" did it. I gave up trying to get restitution.

Im sorry but this doesnt make sense. For starters brokers find clients carriers that run their specific routes. So how was it that you had no idea what broker you used? Secondly, the carrier is not suppose to move the vehicle once placed on the carrier. If it was and stuff was missing the carriers insurance would cover it. Why the hell would it be moved from 5 trucks? I dont believe it, sorry.

And yes, I own an auto transport brokerage and read all the BS people say blah blah, but when it comes right down to it no trucking company has a carrier that runs everywhere. Whether its brokered out by a broker or a carrier its still brokered out, just the carrier charges more to do so..

Now, with that being said there are 20,000 vehicles nationwide that needs to be shipped everyday. You can call and search for carrier all day long thats going to run the route you need and may never find one. Trust me we have a hard enough time with some routes ourselves. Everyone wants them moved now and to be truthful there isnt a truck in your backyard just waiting for you to call on them. There are also others waiting to go on the same truck, but of course everyone wants a deal. Well, the carrier pulls in and grabs the first 6-10 paying the most money and they fill and go.

Companies like Intercity, JP, or any other company that has time to post on car forums of course will do a great job, but there are way more companies out there than those 2. They will also do just as great of a job for much less. I ship out of Barrett Jackson pretty much every auction and I get them moved most of the time 40-50% cheaper than the carriers on site waiting to jab a hole in your pocket.

I just wanted to disclose a few facts, because 9 out of 10 people know nothing about how the industry works and always points the finger toward the broker. yes, there are shady firms out there, but there also a lot of shady people that jump to blame and say negative comments that arent true or twist the truth. For example, I had a woman demand I give her money back to her because the driver showed up a day early with her car. She literally went after me with the BBB because she wasn't 100% satisfied. Seriously! or a customer will write negative reviews because they want their car picked up at noon on a Sunday and there just wasn't a carrier around until Monday. Carriers work in time frames not exact times and days normally. Who knows when a traffic jam will happen or someones not around when they called for hours to try to drop off a vehicle. All this can put a driver way behind schedule.

Ok, Im done
Old 03-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

[quote=Zamochit;10283796]
Originally Posted by Cemoto
I made the mistake of "brokering" my BMW from San Antonio to Boston. Price was right but it was put on five different trucks to get here. The tool kit and jack were stolen from the trunk and no one knew which "broker" did it. I gave up trying to get restitution.

Im sorry but this doesnt make sense. For starters brokers find clients carriers that run their specific routes. So how was it that you had no idea what broker you used? Secondly, the carrier is not suppose to move the vehicle once placed on the carrier. If it was and stuff was missing the carriers insurance would cover it. Why the hell would it be moved from 5 trucks? I dont believe it, sorry.

And yes, I own an auto transport brokerage and read all the BS people say blah blah, but when it comes right down to it no trucking company has a carrier that runs everywhere. Whether its brokered out by a broker or a carrier its still brokered out, just the carrier charges more to do so..

Now, with that being said there are 20,000 vehicles nationwide that needs to be shipped everyday. You can call and search for carrier all day long thats going to run the route you need and may never find one. Trust me we have a hard enough time with some routes ourselves. Everyone wants them moved now and to be truthful there isnt a truck in your backyard just waiting for you to call on them. There are also others waiting to go on the same truck, but of course everyone wants a deal. Well, the carrier pulls in and grabs the first 6-10 paying the most money and they fill and go.

Companies like Intercity, JP, or any other company that has time to post on car forums of course will do a great job, but there are way more companies out there than those 2. They will also do just as great of a job for much less. I ship out of Barrett Jackson pretty much every auction and I get them moved most of the time 40-50% cheaper than the carriers on site waiting to jab a hole in your pocket.

I just wanted to disclose a few facts, because 9 out of 10 people know nothing about how the industry works and always points the finger toward the broker. yes, there are shady firms out there, but there also a lot of shady people that jump to blame and say negative comments that arent true or twist the truth. For example, I had a woman demand I give her money back to her because the driver showed up a day early with her car. She literally went after me with the BBB because she wasn't 100% satisfied. Seriously! or a customer will write negative reviews because they want their car picked up at noon on a Sunday and there just wasn't a carrier around until Monday. Carriers work in time frames not exact times and days normally. Who knows when a traffic jam will happen or someones not around when they called for hours to try to drop off a vehicle. All this can put a driver way behind schedule.

Ok, Im done
I'm not.

It was DAS. They apparently subbed it out.

At the time I was in south Texas (McAllen) and they were the only people I found where I could leave it.

I flew home from San Antonio.

Dropped the car off at their location in San Antonio. It sat there for 3 days. From there it went to their hub in Dallas, was off loaded, sat there for two days, then transferred to another truck. Then on to another location in TN where it sat for five days. Then put on another truck up to PA. Two days there, then from PA to NJ. Five more days in Jersey - it was killing me - only three hours away from Boston. It took almost three weeks to get here.

It was an awful experience.

I was starting to think they had damaged it and were stalling the delivery.

The car had .6 miles added during their possession.

Never again.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:13 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts

Intercity doesn't have any transport available till the 18th. Then it will take 7-10 days.

Don't know if I have the stomach to wait 3 weeks for my new whip..

Gonna try plycovanlines... thanks.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I recently shipped from vicinity of Kansas City to North Carolina using Passport Transport (http://www.passporttransport.com/). I was very satisfied with the movement (no afilliation blah balh).

I call a number of companies to get quotes and they were not the lowest, but they offered the service I was looking for. My car was picked up and delivered on the same rig, and I was able to track it the whole time.

You will find the different companies work different regions of the country. I tried Intercity, but they do not work my area. When I asked for a quote anyway they said they would be expensive and recommended Passport.

I did receive a good quote from Reliable; however, they could not support my dates. There is a Auto Transport forum which rates companies, you might check that out also.

Also, paying for specific dates will cost you. What the company will want to do is give you a pick and drop off window. If you want a specific RDD (required delivery date) you will have to pay extra (~$500+).

Finally, the Passport truck was beautiful, and it was hauling my car, two 911 GT3 RS4.0s, and an Elenor type Mustang.

Hope this helps,
--Joe

<--Cool, this was post #928
Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Use Intercity. Call the owner directly and see if you can get a better deal. Every single time I have used Intercity, the move has been seamless and fluid.

Recently, I was convinced by the dealer of a car I had just purchased that Transporter X would be great and is "just as good as Intercity". Couldn't be further from the truth. The car took way too long to be delivered, and there were ZERO updates provided by the company up until the actual day of the delivery. What a joke.

Intercity is the best in the business bar none. Don't think about saving a couple of bucks when peace of mind is priceless. Good luck!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Zamochit
7th Gear

[quote=Cemoto;10283854]
Originally Posted by Zamochit

I'm not.

It was DAS. They apparently subbed it out.

At the time I was in south Texas (McAllen) and they were the only people I found where I could leave it.

I flew home from San Antonio.

Dropped the car off at their location in San Antonio. It sat there for 3 days. From there it went to their hub in Dallas, was off loaded, sat there for two days, then transferred to another truck. Then on to another location in TN where it sat for five days. Then put on another truck up to PA. Two days there, then from PA to NJ. Five more days in Jersey - it was killing me - only three hours away from Boston. It took almost three weeks to get here.

It was an awful experience.

I was starting to think they had damaged it and were stalling the delivery.

The car had .6 miles added during their possession.

Never again.

Thats exactly what I was mentioning in my message. DAS isnt a broker but a carrier and they brokered it out. The worst part is they used terminals because they dont work our end as well or have access to the carrier we do.. Many companies do not use terminals anymore do to the risk of damaging the car.

So basically after the broker beat down you can admit it was a carrier problem and not a broker
Old 03-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Zamochit
7th Gear

Originally Posted by B-Line
Intercity doesn't have any transport available till the 18th. Then it will take 7-10 days.

Don't know if I have the stomach to wait 3 weeks for my new whip..

Gonna try plycovanlines... thanks.

Plyco does great work as well. We use them if they are available in the areas we need.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
It's an exotic so I want to go enclosed.
Tease.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:58 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 80 Posts

I just heard about uship.com, but cannot vouch for them.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In January, I used the following company to move a non-exotic, but a low-mileage collectible in an open carrier from GA to CA. Great service, great communication and received the car in six (6) days. Pickup was within a day or two of my call. I was referred to them by another satisfied customer. They even called me to follow-up in order to make sure all was OK after delivery. Price was reasonable for both open and enclosed carrier.

http://www.angelstransport.com/
Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

I have used DAS a few times some results good some not so good,most recently the last
couple years and auto moves I've used a friend in the industry I was referred to by a large
collector in Connecticut.
We've been great friends ever since and he's done almost five coast to coast auto transports
for me a few times with two of my own cars.
Once believe it or not and I was stunned Steve McQueens' precious '71S was aboard with
my lowly RS clone ...boy did I brag on that !
My buddy is an Iraq vet only takes two enclosed at a time and you can be certain it's not
leaving his rig!
Should you be interested in his info give me a pm he's supposed to be heading east
Shortly ...Bert
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Okay, I say we withhold any additional information until we get some good details on what is being transported.

Quick Reply: Auto Transport: NJ to LA