Sponsored by:

Brake reservoir questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:58 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Brake reservoir questions...

I am in the process of flushing my brake/clutch fluids and had a few questions.

1. What does the white insert in the top of the reservoir actually do?

2. How do you remove the white insert?

3. The reservoir has compartments, but they have to be connected somehow. Where? Only at the top somewhere where they overflow into each other? Or can the fluid intermingle elsewhere eventually via weep holes? I ask because I am having a dickens of a time with remnants of old ATE Super Blue colorizing the new Gold I am adding. It seems to creep from compartment to compartment. (Except the clutch which has remained Gold.)

By the way, one culprit that held lots of ATE Blue was the accumulator. I bled that today and it seemed to clear up most of the forward compartment. But now the larger two rear compartments, which were at one point clear Gold, are turning Blue-er. Arrrgh! I have gone through THREE CANS of ATE so far!

4. I understand that, when fluid is removed from the reservoir, the clutch is the first to suck air. And I see the clutch hose attached at the rear. So that means I can safely manually suck out over 3/4 of the fluid out of the reservoir itself? Right? Are there any marks or indications on the reservoir to go by? I've turkey-baster'd out some fluid but am afraid to go too far.

I wish I could see a cross section of the reservoir.

Thanks for any input.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The insert usually just slides up/out but that one doesn't look original, the slots appear to be too big.

I believe the intention of the insert is to keep your brake fluid "dipstick" at a fairly constant level when you're driving like a maniac. Fluid flows in/out of the insert but rather slowly. Yours however, the slots are far too big (IMHO) and it would reduce the effectiveness of the insert.

Now maybe that insert is from a different series car but I've had a '88 911, '93 968 and a couple of 993's and none looked like that.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

Brad,

When I did a complete flush of my brake and clutch system, I removed my brake fluid reservoir and flushed it out completely.

Have a look at the pics of the reservoir and note how the plastic lines are held in place. The instructions under the pic tell you how to release them. See pic #15.

The clutch hose will need an Oetiker stepless ear clamp if you want to keep it original.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I am in the process of flushing my brake/clutch fluids and had a few questions.

1. What does the white insert in the top of the reservoir actually do?

2. How do you remove the white insert?

3. The reservoir has compartments, but they have to be connected somehow. Where? Only at the top somewhere where they overflow into each other? Or can the fluid intermingle elsewhere eventually via weep holes? I ask because I am having a dickens of a time with remnants of old ATE Super Blue colorizing the new Gold I am adding. It seems to creep from compartment to compartment. (Except the clutch which has remained Gold.)

By the way, one culprit that held lots of ATE Blue was the accumulator. I bled that today and it seemed to clear up most of the forward compartment. But now the larger two rear compartments, which were at one point clear Gold, are turning Blue-er. Arrrgh! I have gone through THREE CANS of ATE so far!

4. I understand that, when fluid is removed from the reservoir, the clutch is the first to suck air. And I see the clutch hose attached at the rear. So that means I can safely manually suck out over 3/4 of the fluid out of the reservoir itself? Right? Are there any marks or indications on the reservoir to go by? I've turkey-baster'd out some fluid but am afraid to go too far.

I wish I could see a cross section of the reservoir.

Thanks for any input.

1. to annoy you / me or to accurately locate the fluid level float
2. i remove it with needle nose pliers by rotating and pulling when i do a fluid flush
3. i think connection is only at the top of the reservoir chambers. it usually takes me 2 full quarts of fluid when "changing colors". Suck as much out as possible first using a "turkey baster" or similar tool. The rear reservoir chambers seem to be the last to evacuate. drain as muc as possible using bleeders aslo.
4. yes / no / too many variables.
my last flush was the first time i've gone from blue to gold with only 2 quarts. other tries have taken 3+.
it was also the first time that i bled the accumulator 4 times prior to working on any of the other chambers.
coincidence?
i don't think so.

good luck

Craig
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM
BradB
Drifting

Thanks for the replies, guys. Quite helpful.

My plan now is to siphon as much Blue as I can out of the top of the reservoir and then re-bleed everything again. I'm determined to remove all traces of Blue!

Next time I will bleed the accumulator FIRST! Lessons learned.

As far as the white guide for the plunger, it's been there the 11 years I've owned the car and never had an issue. If it was replaced at some time it's hard to imagine why. Who knows.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

What is an accumulator, and how do you bleed it? I can't believe I'm not understanding this.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
What is an accumulator, and how do you bleed it? I can't believe I'm not understanding this.
The C4S/Turbo brake pressure accumulator. The round black ball in the front trunk hiding just in front of the gas tank on passenger (USA,EU,etc) side. IIRC, it stores up pressure for use when the ABS/ABD kicks on. I'm not familiar with the C2 system, so I don't know all the differences...
Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I used the super blue for a while. I think it took three or four complete flushes to stop seeing a little green color. The solution is to start going to the track a lot so you will be flushing your brakes several times a year!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
The C4S/Turbo brake pressure accumulator. The round black ball in the front trunk hiding just in front of the gas tank on passenger (USA,EU,etc) side. IIRC, it stores up pressure for use when the ABS/ABD kicks on. I'm not familiar with the C2 system, so I don't know all the differences...
Ah, thanks. C2 doesn't have that afaik.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Any body else insert look like Brad's?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Last time I heard that was in my high school locker room.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

I surmised the insert tube was there to prevent drastic changes in the fluid level with the float as the car shifted under aggressive driving. Which in turn prevents a false reading on the fluid level.

And it is a pain to add fluid in it as it chokes the filling speed of the reservoir with the sleeve in.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Exactly what my 4S has.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

That little cup is some engineer's joke to make sure you drip brake fluid everywhere when power bleeding. He laughs every time we go near our cars with a can of blue. I swear I can hear him faintly in my garage.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Exactly what my 4S has.
+2
Only mine doesn't seem to come out easily like Craig's does....
Perhaps more force is needed (a statement that never leads to good things)...

Quick Reply: Brake reservoir questions...