Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Brake fluid reservoir: which compartments which??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:27 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Brake fluid reservoir: which compartments which??

I am bleeding the clutch and brakes from ATE BLUE to ATE GOLD. As you can see most of the compartments look clear but the front ones look blue still. Which compartments correspond to which calipers?

I get clean gold out of all calipers but can't clear up the forward compartments for some reason and want to bleed those more but not sure which calipers to continue on.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I would recommend that you get a turkey baster (or similar) and suck out the blue stuff from the reservoir and then continue with the gold.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 PM
BradB
Drifting

Did that. But can't get any more BLUE out via the small opening in the reservoir. I'll just keep bleeding and diluting and see what happens. Been through TWO CANS of ATE so far. $$$
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you actually looked into the compartment from above to make sure there is blue stuff in there? I recall reading that the blue stuff leaves residue on the walls.

As far as I know the rear compartment is for the clutch.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 PM
BradB
Drifting

Yes, for sure the rear is the clutch. The front compartments seem to be for the front calipers, I think. I am pretty sure it is not stained since I see the level go up and down, shake, etc. The rear compartments looked similar but flushed out.

I'm beat. Will try again in the AM. To make matters worse, the pedal seems really soft when the car is running. I never saw evidence of air in the lines. I'm worse off than before I started. I didn't do anything with the Accumulator (Where the heck is it, anyway?) so maybe that's part of the issue.

I've bled brakes hundreds of times on other cars but my 4S has me beat this time.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:22 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

bleed the accumulator. it is the little pressure vessel to the left. be careful due to high pressure and search the forum for instructions if you do not have them.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:30 AM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by e9stibi
bleed the accumulator. it is the little pressure vessel to the left....
I will give that a shot. I've been reading up on it but still can't picture where it is exactly. I'll keep checking!

Quick Reply: Brake fluid reservoir: which compartments which??