Opinions on non-standard seat setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Opinions on non-standard seat setup

Seats have been a bane of my 993 ownership.

I have a true dual use street/track car. It is both my only family car, and my only track car. I've had to make compromises of course. The car is midnight blue with the lighter grey (I always forget if it is classic or marble, but it is the lighter one). Currently I have the custom cashmere Recaro Sport Toplines from my previous car, which isn't so attractive.

Here's a pic of black seats in the grey interior, which I think doesn't look too bad especially if I put in a set of black mats. I would love to put in the GT2 seats, but can't budget the $6k or so.

So the options are to put in 2 Pole Position black leather seats, which would probably look good, but causes potential issues getting to the back seats, getting a car seat, duffel bag, etc. back there. Might work, but not sure.

The other option would be to put in a driver Pole Position and a passenger Sport Topline. Reclines, wife more comfy, heated, tilts, etc. But trying to decide if it would look ridiculous or not. Thoughts?
Attached Images    
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Somebody on Rennlist was selling Misano light grey seats at a very reasonable cost. They'd match your Marble interior perfectly.

I had black (well, they are really charcoal grey) Recaro Speed in my previous marble grey interior car. But I did start transformation to black interior on that one, replacing door panels and center console with black ones. Used black floor mats as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 AM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I feel your pain. I wish there was an affordable way to source Recaro PPs in midnight blue leather for my car

You have quite a predicament. I think a pair of black leather Recaro PPs would look good with your gray interior. I tend to think that 1 PP and 1 Sport Topline would look kind of goofy. Unfortunately, from what I've read, access to the back seat is severely limited once you're running two PPs due to the lack of tilting. How necessary is it for you to take the child seats in/out of the car? If you are OK with leaving the child seat back there permanently, you could aways install it after removing your current seats and then mount the PPs?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

ou could aways install it after removing your current seats and then mount the PPs
Well, I still need to get luggage and such, and I will be putting a rollbar in and out. But for that I'd be removing one of the seats anyway...

Somebody on Rennlist was selling Misano light grey seats at a very reasonable cost. They'd match your Marble interior perfectly.
I don't think the Misanos can hold a 6 point...but I'll check, thx.

Plus, I am hoping for the added lateral stability of the PP for track days...
Old 01-29-2013, 01:16 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the PP & sport mix as long as they are the same color. I think the different details & shape will not be too noticeable and the practicality could save a lot of hassle. btw, I'd buy those cashmere seats in a heartbeat!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:45 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Well, I still need to get luggage and such, and I will be putting a rollbar in and out. But for that I'd be removing one of the seats anyway...
Swapping 2 seats isn't much more work if you are already doing a rollbar plus one seat. But this means 2 sets of seats and 1 set sitting around taking up storage space all the time. Does resolve all the basic issues with a best of both worlds solution...kinda...

ps. JPS, You are a brave man taking that DAS bar in/out.... I have done battle with mine to install it and I don't think I have enough swear words in my vocabulary to do it more than....ummm, ONCE!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

ps. JPS, You are a brave man taking that DAS bar in/out..
Brave is one word, yes...

Not much of a choice as it is the only car. I am going to experiment with leaving the cross bar that goes side to side in. If the carseat works with it, I'll pad it up and leave it in.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
JPS, You are a brave man taking that DAS bar in/out.... I have done battle with mine to install it and I don't think I have enough swear words in my vocabulary to do it more than....ummm, ONCE!
Yes what pain to do more than once. JPS- You need a dedicated track car!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

You need a dedicated track car!
I live in Manhattan. A car at all is nearly insane. A track car is practically impossible without either a country/beach house or an extra digit on my W2...

I've been lucky my wife and son go with the flow...seats, suspension, stupidly installed semi-solid transmission mount, etc. (Previous car shown below).
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I didn't realize the PCA allowed cabs in DE's. that is interesting
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

JPS, I think 6-point harness should not be much of an issue on most seats - you can cut a slot on the bottom of the seat and cut through and nicely finish around a hole in the material. I've seen it done and wouldn't let this stop me from a good seat if the price was right.

Misanos are pretty comfortable on the street. Recaro Speeds that I had were OK for 2 hours, painful after that. SRDs were good for about 40 minutes - too hard for my scrawny *** on the street.

PS. I now what you mean about Manhattan. I had to spend two months with my autocross appliance there in 2009. Parking, driving around on coilovers, driving 4 hours to Boston with solid engine mounts where your hands vibrate for days afterwards... it's just plain nuts. But, hey, nobody said our pursuits are smart.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't realize the PCA allowed cabs in DE's. that is interesting
In DEs, not Club Race, and only with a rollbar that passes the broomstick test. That aside, I've switched to a coupe, mostly due to the munchkin in the pic...
Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess I'm a little leery of cutting through the seat with unknown/tested structural effect on the seat pan...

That said, if I were to go that route the Misanos don't look bad. Anyone know how well the shoulder harnesses fit? The PPs for example are a tough low on most, the Speeds are very high on most...
Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 AM
serval
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

JPS, as an aside, I think the way you use your car to the fullest is a true testament to the Porsche ideology. Love it. Ferry would be proud
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been wanting to change seats out as well. Wife and I drove to the 2012 Parade with 9-10 hours driving per day. The darn stock seats worked too well. Wife mentioned that she has never sat in a car seat for so long and been so comfortable. Now I don't think I'll ever be able to replace them.

Quick Reply: Opinions on non-standard seat setup