Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Venting to my '96 OBDII Bretheren

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 801 Posts

odd, i just replaced my battery cable and took two fairly short drives.

all monitors are set, non incomplete, and the typical 3 N/A.

I don't get why some cars are so difficult about setting these things.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Does yours have a build date of 1/96 or later?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
Does yours have a build date of 1/96 or later?
no feb 95
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 AM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
I have been through this more times than I care to admit. I also live in California and have had my OBDII 993 here since 2002. Please, listen to this advice:

1) I have an Innova OBII readers. They work just fine. You do not need to go to your Porsche mechanic. This little device will give you all the information you need. All your flags are either reset or they're not. If they are not, you have to redo the process until they are.

2) Doing a 200 to 300 mile drive does not reset all the flags. Don't waste your time. I tried it several times. I'm not mad cause at least I got to go on some nice drives. But I never cleared smog and I wasted time checking. This was before I bought the OBDII reader.

3) YOUR CAR MUST BE COLD START never try to do it after you've been driving around. If you tried to reset the flags and some but not all flags reset, park your car, OVERNIGHT... And try again. Do not bother trying to go through the process when the car has any heat in it.
I usually try to do the flag reset at 2am to 3am when I have the roads all to myself.

The OBDII scanner will alert you when all the flags are gone. Don't try to isolate what flags are still up and direct your driving towards clearing those flags... Just start the process over again.

Now that I know how to do it and I know to COLD START, follow the entire procedure, have the OBDII scanner on my lap so I can see if the flags have all gone green... It's much easier.

The hardest part of this entire situation was getting the information. Now it's all in front of you and you just have to follow the instructions. I spent days and days at referee stations, smog stations checking flags, etc. And the best two pieces of advice I got where buying the scanner and cold starting.

Give it a try... I bet you see the results you want.
Damnit! Cold start is what I missed! Started after visiting the Indy...car was op temp! Thanks for tips!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We need an OBDii master index thread, all of this stuff has been discussed many times but it's spread out over many threads. I'm working on a motorcycle repair issue right now, unless someone else wants to tackle the task I'll work on it between sessions with the bike.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"The OBDII scanner will alert you when all the flags are gone."

Do what?

The blind leading the blind!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:38 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

My car was difficult. Now it's not and I don't know why.

I fought with this drive cycle and getting the readiness flags set for years (6). It was an annual PITA. My inspection is due in February which gives me a very narrow window (few driveable days) here in Utah. And my car seemed to just reset itself occasionally. Once I had all the indicators set when I arrived at the inspection station and none when it was hooked up to the machine minutes later. I never turned the car off! I chased intermittent power, intermittent grounds, ... . All without success. After a seemingly unrelated project two years ago that included a new ECU with programming by Steve Weiner I have not had another problem. Now all indicators set with two short drive cycles. I'm very pleased but not sure what the problem was. It may have been an intermittent problem within the original ECU. It may have been an intermittent connection that was somehow remedied with all the harness out-and-in stuff.
Maybe it is Steve's magic ... right Loren?

Quick Reply: Venting to my '96 OBDII Bretheren