993 Forum 1995-1998

My HID mod.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cmat
Another nice option is the T-Light package that Tore Bergvill offers. It is specifically designed for our cars. All connectors match and the ballasts are mounted on brackets that attach to existing studs in the headlight housing. This makes for a tidy installation that is easily reversed. LED lamps in a matching color are also provided for the running lights.

I recently installed the system in my car car and am very happy with the result. At the same time I also switched to the improved clips for holding the lamps in place (Porsche # 000 043 204 28). This change is worthwhile whether or not you go to HID as the lamps are held much more securely.
Very nice! I didn't know that Tore made this. How long has he had this? I'm familiar with some of his other mods but never knew about this one.

Thanks for posting the clip mod part number. I have it on my new headlight assembly but didn't know the part number to upgrade the old one to match. Definite improvement in the way the bulbs sits in the housing.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BeauBlues
Here's what I did yesterday. The first picture is how my setup was until recently. The HID spade shoved into the stock ground plug. My harness was already hacked up, so hacking it up further wasn't going to bother me any more. Earlier I kept referring to using spade connectors. I meant to say "flat terminals". Semantics. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone that Doesn't want to cut the original harness. I think the pictures explain it all. The ground to the car is the male terminal. The HID and remaining stock ground are female terminals. This gives me the ability to seamlessly switch between HID and stock setups incase I need to.
Beau, in the first picture, the connector is exposed, I wonder if it came in contact with the housing, and shorted, causing your melted spot?

Th subsequent pictures show heat shrink covering everything. Hopefully that keeps any stray electrons from wandering around where they aren't supposed to!

ToreB makes some quality stuff! That kit looks perfect. Very clean and tidy!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 PM
GwynnieMae
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Beau, in the first picture, the connector is exposed, I wonder if it came in contact with the housing, and shorted, causing your melted spot?

Th subsequent pictures show heat shrink covering everything. Hopefully that keeps any stray electrons from wandering around where they aren't supposed to!

ToreB makes some quality stuff! That kit looks perfect. Very clean and tidy!
The first picture shows my recent setup. Before that, I had the splicers. It used to look exactly like the setup you showed me. Also, It shouldn't matter that the ground wire was exposed. There's no positive current present in the housing with the HID setup. The HID's have a dedicated ground wire, unlike the single hot wire with the stock H1's. The housing no longer acts as a ground.

Wedging the spade into the ground wire worked great for me(first picture), although to me, it was felt way too "mickey moused". I went with the new setup because it is without a doubt a 100% solid connection.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Glad you got it working with solid connections now. Really hard to describe without pictures!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:55 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A potential problem even with Tore's system is that the existing connector on the yellow (+) wire is not fixed in place on the lamp as before. The back of this connector is exposed and could short to something. I put a dab of silicone RTV here to prevent that. BeauBlues....your latest mods also fixed this.

The photo shows the connector before the RTV was applied.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it a lot.
I am working on a solution to the exposed connector, I will probably include a shrink tube of some kind to avoid the possibility of a short in there. As Chuck already have mentioned, a dab of silicone or some insulating tape would also do.
I offer a 20$ Rennlist discount on the T-Light kit, have a look here for details and pictures.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it a lot.
I am working on a solution to the exposed connector, I will probably include a shrink tube of some kind to avoid the possibility of a short in there. As Chuck already have mentioned, a dab of silicone or some insulating tape would also do.
I offer a 20$ Rennlist discount on the T-Light kit, have a look here for details and pictures.
Cheers,
Tore
Tore,

Yes. Looks like you did a nice Porsche mod for our 993's. I'm particularly fascinated with your bracket technique for securing the ballast to backside of headlamp assembly. What were those holes made for anyways? Porsche's litronics mount on the inside of trunk. No?

I noticed your HID kit comes with 4300k bulbs, but it appears a bit blue in the pic on your website. Are those 4300k bulbs or something higher in your pic? How would this compare to my 5000k HID's I already have? I really like the blue hue (it goes nice with our Polar silver exteriors) but I think I'm sacrificing a bit of illumination at 35watts with such a high temperature rating, no? Can I order your kit with a different bulb?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure Tore will reply but I would describe my headlights now as bright white, not at all blue.

During my limited testing, I have seen no flickering. Hot ignition (quick switch off then on when lamps are hot) has not been a problem. This is difficult for any HID system.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 PM
delta
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc, I just ordered Tore's HID. If you want to check it out before ordering yours, let me know. I live down the hills from you (I was at your pinning gathering).

Mark
Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by delta
Marc, I just ordered Tore's HID. If you want to check it out before ordering yours, let me know. I live down the hills from you (I was at your pinning gathering).

Mark
Mark,

Definitely. Let me know when you get them. Don't know if you need a hand to install them. Should be pretty easy but I'd be interested.

Marc
Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McDa00niel
Hope this helps those who were on the fence about upgrading to HID's.

^^^^ These links didn't work for me. Anyone else see them? ^^^^

Last edited by mgianzero; 02-28-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 PM
delta
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Mark,

Definitely. Let me know when you get them. Don't know if you need a hand to install them. Should be pretty easy but I'd be interested.

Marc
Will do.

Mark
Old 03-01-2013, 04:14 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Tore,
What were those holes made for anyways? Porsche's litronics mount on the inside of trunk. No?
I noticed your HID kit comes with 4300k bulbs, but it appears a bit blue in the pic on your website. Are those 4300k bulbs or something higher in your pic? How would this compare to my 5000k HID's I already have? I think I'm sacrificing a bit of illumination at 35watts with such a high temperature rating, no? Can I order your kit with a different bulb?
The mounting studs in the headlamp lid is for one of the two Litronic electronic units. One is mounted in the trunk, and the high voltage final stage is mounted inside the headlight housing.
The T-Light electronics are more modern and much smaller, allowing to mount everything securely inside the housing. This greatly simplifies the installation, I do it in minutes. I also prefer having things securely fastened inside the headlight.
I took the product pictures some time ago, the previous version of T-Light had 5000K bulbs. However, I have seen that the different bulb manufacturers tend to have some tolerance in the colour, sometimes there's not much difference between 4300K and 5000K. I have no 5000K bulbs in stock.
Personally I like 4300K best, it is spot on the stock Litronic colour. This is also the feedback I've got from my customers.
I have not seen that much difference in light output on 55W and 35W HID kits, I've tried several. But, I do simple garage tests and haven't done more thorough light output measurements.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Default I found a connector that uses Porsche stock connector.

Thanks for all that info Tore. I'm going to check out a friend who has yours and see how I like it.

Hey Beau -
I just special ordered and received a larger bullet than they sell in the local auto parts stores. I slightly modified the bullet to make an even tighter fit, but it works beautifully!

I bought a box of 100 connectors, so anyone is welcome to them. Just let me know!

See my pics:
(pic #1 - old spade connectors compared to standard and new larger bullet)
(pic #2 - my connectors all soldered and shrink wrapped)
(pic #3 - my hook up)

Marc
Attached Images    
Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Tore,

Mark just stopped by and I saw your HID setup. Pretty nice! I especially like the super small and slim ballast - the smallest one I've ever seen!

The one question / concern I have is that it appears the connector to HID's from the ballast is a unique proprietary connector I've not seem before. What if someone needed another set of bulbs, or (perhaps in my case) use another HID light bulb such as my 5000k's? I wouldn't be able to use some of the more standard HID bulbs with your ballast setup, no?

Also --- and please don't feel I'm criticizing as you did a super job on this, but Mark's fog bulbs appeared more blue, than white which didn't quite match his headlamps. They were, coincidently, almost spot on to my 5000k headlamps. Is this the only bulb you offer to match your kit?

Marc G.

Quick Reply: My HID mod.