Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of cdr-220 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:30 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a very timely thread, since the CDR-210 that came with my car is DOA. I'd like something original in appearance and nothing over-the-top fancy. Seems like the CDR-220 with the iphone connector is the way to go.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Marc1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
That's a great question. In my experience the only foolproof way to take a call from the road is with a wired headset. I just don't trust the noise cancellation technology...
I have found the microphones in bluetooth systems in modern cars to work quite well. So it will really depend on how good the microphone on the Kinivo is and where it is placed. Another option is to use the Milennia (rather than the Kinivo) and get just a bluetooth microphone.

I keep a wireless headset in the door pocket for this very reason.
But you already have the phone paired to the Milennia. Won't the audio be coming through the car speakers?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:51 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc1
I have found the microphones in bluetooth systems in modern cars to work quite well. So it will really depend on how good the microphone on the Kinivo is and where it is placed. Another option is to use the Milennia (rather than the Kinivo) and get just a bluetooth microphone.

But you already have the phone paired to the Milennia. Won't the audio be coming through the car speakers?
Good question. This has never been an issue for me, so I guess the phone is smart enough and switch to the wired headphones/mic when the cable is inserted.

I'll definitely try to the Kinivo first. It seems like a great product.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Marc1
8th Gear

...and switch to the wired headphones/mic when the cable is inserted...
Ah, in your first post you said "wireless headset." If it is wired, then yes I would agree plugging in it will take over.

Please report back your findings once you test it out. I will do the same.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Wanted to report back with my findings using the 3.5-BKRCD with the
Kinivo BTC450 Kinivo BTC450
. Overall, it works extremely well. I recommend it to anyone looking to modernize the CDR-210 with a simple, affordable, almost invisible solution.

I wanted to hard wire it, and conceal the unit as much as possible. I wired a
cigarette lighter socket cigarette lighter socket
to the switched 12v in the radio harness (no 12v in the sunroof switch on a targa). I then ran the ligher socket and the 3.5mm plug from the BKRCD down to the center console behind the carpeted access panel.

I connected a
ground loop isolator ground loop isolator
(definitely necessary in my car) inline and plugged everything it.

I mounted the Kinivo unit just to the passenger side of the ashtray using the included adhesive. The mic seems to work well enough even in this location.

Highly recommended. In my limited 10 minutes of use so far, the Kinivo lives up to the hype and the hundreds of 5 star reviews on Amazon.
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Marc1
8th Gear

The mic seems to work well enough even in this location.
That was my main concern. Glad to hear it picks up your voice.

The other thing was making the Kinivo USB input accessible so you could also charge your phone. Where did you place it?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:19 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marc1
The other thing was making the Kinivo USB input accessible so you could also charge your phone. Where did you place it?
Easy, I made it completely inaccessible It's buried in the center console with the ground loop isolator.

I may run a micro-USB cable from the center console to somewhere else in the car to charge the phone if needed.

Quick Reply: A couple of cdr-220 questions