993 Forum 1995-1998

A couple of cdr-220 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Scott,

Let's step back just a second, what exactly are your objectives?

Is it a better tuner, cd that can also play iPod?
Or is it just the iPod connection that you want to add?

The easiest way with the CR-1, assuming everything else is working properly, is to use a cassette adapter. It isn't elegant by any means, but in my experience, they are better than the FM modulators. I do have to admit, I have not used one of the newer FM modulators, and my only experience is with the old ones that were very noisy

Are your speakers original? Upgrading to digital sources can be a bit of a slippery slope as well, as once you improve one segment of the system, the weakness of another will be highlighted, then the next thing you know, you have new speakers and a new amplifier.

None of it is a bad thing, just reminding you that the sum is only as good as the individual parts.

I completely understand the desire for many of us to retain a stock radio appearance, and many of today's aftermarket stuff is on the blingy side, but I would suggest looking at units with Bluetooth connectivity.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 122 Posts

Kiki, thanks for your thoughts and info. My main objective is to be able to use an ipod/iphone that will charge and play through the connector. I don't like to use the aux jack (headphone jack) that much because the music just isn't as good coming through the jack. I have been using a cassett adapter for a year now and it isn't bad, but I wanted something a little better. I would like to keep the stock look but it isn't a must for me and the oem speakers are good enough for me. So for $70 if i can use the ipod and charge it without changing out the stereo i figure i would give it a try. I will let you know how the unit works once i get it put in. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Something to be aware of: If the iPod is charging, then it is connected to power, and thus ground. The input signal is also referenced to ground. Quite often these two grounds are NOT the same. The result can be a whining noise that is the alternator bleeding through the ipod charging, into the amplifier, and then of course, being amplified, and played through the speakers. I am not sure how much will bleed through with an FM modulator.

There is another current thread, where someone has this problem, and it is fairly common. I had this issue with my system as well. I solved it by using a ground loop isolator between the ipod and my CDR-220. I also turned the gain down pretty low (mostly to keep the THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) to a minimum, but also to minimize the alternator whine. A lot of the audiophile, BIG power types use large (1 farad) capacitors on the alternator to filter out that noise as well, but I think that is only needed for really high power applications.

good luck
Old 10-23-2013, 11:53 AM
craftsman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey 996scott, any update on this? I am looking to use an ipod through my CR-1 as well and could use any info/advice.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd recommend an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth. You can listen to music on your iPhone or Android wirelessly, with the phone in your pocket. That includes Pandora, MLB, or whatever online stations you listen to.

Sometimes the 21st century is better.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:34 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ehanauer
I'd recommend an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth. You can listen to music on your iPhone or Android wirelessly, with the phone in your pocket. That includes Pandora, MLB, or whatever online stations you listen to.

Sometimes the 21st century is better.
I fully agree, I had the CDR 220 in my car and replaced it with a Blaupunkt Toronto BT 420 for $150.00, It does everything including voice activated phone calls.
PS. It is a "plug and play" installation.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:08 PM
jlivingood
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just added Bluetooth to my CR-210 and the same thing can be done to this radio. See my post at https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tegration.html
Old 10-23-2013, 04:59 PM
craftsman
Track Day

Thanks for the quick response guys, I appreciate there are many different units that are higher quality, have more options, etc., but I am trying to retain the stock interior.

jlivingood - thanks for the great write-up. Bluetooth would be better than wired so I might attempt this. One question: do you have to find a spot to mount that round on/off switch and remember to turn it on/off every time you use the ipod?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

I have a similar unit to livingood, and did not use the switch. It is optional. So I wired the unit directly into the radio's switched power and ground.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 AM
Marc1
8th Gear

I have also been thinking about the best way to get bluetooth audio into a stock headset. In my case it is a CR-210 with a CD changer.

My thought was installing the 3.5-BKRCD Auxiliay input and then use a bluetooth adaptor, such as a
Kinivo BTC450 Kinivo BTC450

The benefit of this setup is that in addition to streaming music via the existing CR-210, you can also make/receive telephone calls. As an added bonus, you get superior audio quality on your music because the Kinivo offers aptX (assuming your device supports it or may in the future).

Any thoughts?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc1
My thought was installing the 3.5-BKRCD Auxiliay input and then use a bluetooth adaptor, such as a Kinivo BTC450.
This is my exact plan as well. I'm going to try in stages. The 3.5-BKRCD is on order already. Assuming it works well, next I'll add in the Kinivo or the Milennia for a completely invisible cable-free installation.

I haven't yet found a thread where someone has tried this exact setup. Will definitely report back with my findings... good, bad, or ugly.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:39 AM
jlivingood
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I have a similar unit to livingood, and did not use the switch. It is optional. So I wired the unit directly into the radio's switched power and ground.
Same here - it is optional and I saw no use for it.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:38 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by craftsman
Hey 996scott, any update on this? I am looking to use an ipod through my CR-1 as well and could use any info/advice.

Thanks!
Yea, I really like the connecter I got. Pretty simple to install, charges the Ipod/iphone, and keeps the stock look. That was all I was really looking for so I have been very happy with it. I am sure a new updated stereo with bluetooth would be great as well.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Marc1
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mpruden
…or the Milennia for a completely invisible cable-free installation.
Ah, this would be very clean but what happens when your phone rings? Don't most states require a hands free setup these days?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:11 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc1
Ah, this would be very clean but what happens when your phone rings? Don't most states require a hands free setup these days?
That's a great question. In my experience the only foolproof way to take a call from the road is with a wired headset. I just don't trust the noise cancellation technology. In my experience, it just doesn't work well enough yet. Maybe I just can't stand repeating myself on the phone

I keep a wireless headset in the door pocket for this very reason. My use case may differ from most, but 9 times out of 10 I just let the incoming call go to VM anyway then return the call when I'm no longer driving.

Quick Reply: A couple of cdr-220 questions