VRAM vacuum

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts
Default VRAM vacuum

I've had a lot of headaches wrt the vacuum system used on 993VRAM, You can easily loose 50hp if it's not functioning but it doesn't usually just stop working but rather a gradual decline in performance that is unnoticeable day to day. Maybe someone else has too, so I had some time today and started putting together some info on it. It is complicated w/ 5 different solenoids scattered around the car(can you find them?) and many connections each of which is susceptible to a leak

993 vacuum systems
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Makes you appreciate the "simplicity" of carbs sometimes!

Glad I've not had to poke around the system too much (absent one nightmare supercharger-back-to-stock deal I got tied up with about 10 years ago), but I'll thank you now for a chart I'll inevitably need to refer to in the future.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill - I have become very intimate with the system from an assembly perspective. I spent months messing around with my system when one of the intake runner seals came loose and lodged itself sideways in the runner. It's pretty archaic how the system is put together with the plastic tubes and rubber fittings. You would think that would have designed a much better connection mechanism. I have a spare intake manifold and have kept all the vacuum parts in case mine fail, but tested all of them while they were out. Thanks for the information, will def be reading in case I did anything wrong! Thanks for posting!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

In seeking failure modes of the VRAM, it is perhaps worthwhile repeating that a covert degration of the VRAM occurs as the interior of 'branch piece' #10 delaminates and restricts vacuum: this is the connector on the center branch of the 'tree' from the vac reservoir .... insurance against failure is to install a stent in the throat of this item: mine is an ~20mm lenght of a colt 45 recoil spring.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

What is the source and solution of the oil pooling issue I have seen on several vram manifolds? (crankcase venting?) It's seems to pool at the lower resonance flap controller, and often is also at the base of the intake runners...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

The check valves seem to fail intermittently, eventually leak completely & the diaphragms in the actuators tear.

Use one of these to check the individual components:
Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

What is the source and solution of the oil pooling issue I have seen on several vram manifolds? (crankcase venting?) It's seems to pool at the lower resonance flap controller, and often is also at the base of the intake runners...
My mechanic told me to make sure that my oil level isn't too high, otherwise the mainfold will eventually accumulate oil and since the lower flapper valve is at the lowest point of the manifold, all the oil drains then at that location.
Ed
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EckFe1
My mechanic told me to make sure that my oil level isn't too high, otherwise the manifold will eventually accumulate oil and since the lower flapper valve is at the lowest point of the manifold, all the oil drains then at that location.
Ed
that's been my experience too, the combination of revs and high oil levels causes a lot of oil to be ingested into the intake manifold.

I never fill above 50% and try to keep it lower than that
Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ So .. in hind sight, would it have been better for you (Bill) to have stayed with the '95 pre-varioram system on your 3.8 build or would it have even worked? If this is a stupid question I apologize in advance ...
Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
^^^ So .. in hind sight, would it have been better for you (Bill) to have stayed with the '95 pre-varioram system on your 3.8 build or would it have even worked? If this is a stupid question I apologize in advance ...
For my purposes the plastic non vram manifold would be preferred, for street use the vram would be preferred.

At the time I wanted a fresh engine in my track car and the 102mm high compression pistons and the RS cams/valves.

Eventually I'll rebuild the non vram motor for track use, 3.8-4.0L race cams/valvetrain, race rods etc It's already got the correct cosmetics.

That motor will then go back into the 993 and the vram will go back to the C3
Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ yes, that makes sense, and I would agree after owning both systems on street cars, the vram for street driving is really good. It just struck me that losing 50h.p. randomly over time in so many possible places in the vram system that having the stability/consistency and trouble free performance of the simpler system would trump any horsepower gains of a functioning vram system.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
^^^ yes, that makes sense, and I would agree after owning both systems on street cars, the vram for street driving is really good. It just struck me that losing 50h.p. randomly over time in so many possible places in the vram system that having the stability/consistency and trouble free performance of the simpler system would trump any horsepower gains of a functioning vram system.
My car is quick enough that when down 50, you know there is something lacking but it's not enough to panic over because it's still keeping up.

Quick Reply: VRAM vacuum