Sponsored by:

993 Gemballa wheels by Speedline on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 993 Gemballa wheels by Speedline on eBay

Might be a nice deal for someone .. widebody offsets, fairly rare and a nice looking wheel IMHO plus Michilin Pilot Sports ...(!) No affiliation, just passing on the info. Auction link at bottom ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221191149316&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Beautiful wheels. They look to be in fantastic condition!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:11 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ Yes, I thought so too. No real road rash .. Gemballa signatures look sharp. You never see them and then in the last month these, and another set without tires came on eBay which sold I think .. I'd probably want to check the date stamps on the tires though ....
Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure how far you're going on those "$700" "compatition" rears......... But you're not buying this package for the tires, are you? Just that the seller hype always leaves me leery.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Per the seller "Michelin Pilot Sport Radial X (2) 235/40 zr 18 and (2) 315/30 zr 18.I do not know where to look for the date of manufacture but I can assure you that there is no dryrot anywhere they were always garage kept.the fronts a almost new maybe 3000 miles tops and the backs have 8 or 9 thousand miles" Yea 9K on year they should be done.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ I was just looking at the other set .. they're still for sale for $2650 plus shipping with no tires.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If narrow body I'd jump all over these. These have been my fav wheels for years. Really hard to find in NB offsets.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by JPP
^^^ I was just looking at the other set .. they're still for sale for $2650 plus shipping with no tires.
Looks like Ray from Houston is the seller...he has a good rep...the other set looks like they have some flaws compared to Ray's...let me know if you are not pursuing.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM
il pirata
Banned

Default Well this is interesting...

Had never really checked into Gembella wheels so I googled and...

About a year ago, a mutual friend introduced me to Uwe Gemballa. He looked a bit like a pimp from central casting: bleached blond hair, a flashy watch, gold chain. He tuned Porsches. He wanted to import Gemballas to China, and could I help him? Like many China deals, that deal never got off the ground. And as I read the news today, I think to myself: I’m glad it fizzled. Dodged that bullet. Literally.

According to Gemballa’s hometown paper Stuttgarter Zeitung, Police in Atteridgeville, near Pretoria, South Africa, found a garbage bag with the badly decomposed remains of a blond man. He had his hands tied to his back, and a bullet hole in his head. A DNA check and a comparison of the teeth confirmed: Gemballa is dead.

The South African Police didn’t just stumble over that bag. They had arrested two people who decided that it’s better to cooperate.

Gemballa has not been heard from since February 8, 2010. He had flown from Dubai to Johannesburg, South Afrika. From Johannesburg, he called his wife. According to some records, he said he had an accident and needed a “larger sum of money.” According to Germany’s BILD-Zeitung, Gemballa had claimed he had been kidnapped, and Christl should transfer a million Euro immediately. Apparently, the second story came closer to the truth. But it wasn’t the whole truth.

According to the Suttgarter Zeitung, Gemballa’s tuning shop was a front for an organized crime syndicate. Gemballa worked with the Czech crime boss Radovan Krejcir, who is wanted by the Czech Police for tax evasion and attempted murder. Krejcir relocated to South Africa instead.

According to a sworn affidavit of Juan Meyer, a former business associate of Krejcir, Gemballa sent hot cars to South Africa. Instead of sending them for money, he sent them with money: The cars were stuffed with cash. Vehicular money laundering. Now I know why Gemballa wanted to know every detail of how cars are imported to China. And now I know why he was not happy to hear what I had told him: “Easy. In those small numbers, the cars are individually checked by the authorities, and approved.”

One day, a tuned Cayenne that was supposed to have a million Euro behind the door trim panel, arrived empty. Krejcir was upset. That put a dent in Gemballas’s business. He was short of money.

Another business associate, Jerome Safi, told Gemballa that he would invest into Gemballa South Africa. Gemballa flew down, was kidnapped, and after his wife Christl hadn’t sent the missing million, he was shot. He probably would have been shot with the million also.

Krejcir is still free in South Africa. An extradition request by the Czech government had been denied by a South African court. Not too long ago, a high South African police official, who supposedly is close to Krejcir, lost his job.

Back in Stuttgart, the news of Gemballas death caused consternation, “however, it didn’t come as a suprise,” writes the paper. He had been written off long ago.

On October 29, 2010 Thaibiso Mpshe, 28, from Pretoria, was convicted for the murderer of Uwe Gemballa in Johannesburg. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison
Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ Thought Uwe's fate was pretty common knowledge.

When I heard of this, it reminded me of Alois Ruf having to come to Scottsdale and track down some guys who he was having trouble getting payment from circa 1986-7. (Gray market scammers were pretty big when I had my shop going there in those days.)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by il pirata
Looks like Ray from Houston is the seller...he has a good rep...the other set looks like they have some flaws compared to Ray's...let me know if you are not pursuing.
No, I'm in wheel recovery;-P
Old 02-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

The wheels from RAY JOSEPH are in excellent condition, I just saw them in person last week...
Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 AM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of my favorite wheels. Looked good when I had them my car and they looked good on Rudy's (Opo) car too
Attached Images   
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

IMO the best looking afermarket wheels for a 993 are the Gemballa Le Mans wheel; it's a bit like a 993RS but one-piece, which results in a wheel that is delightfully easy to clean and great looking to boot. Just sayin.....
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Those 3-piece Gemballa wheels are one of my top 5 favorite wheels for the 993! Just wish they had a stepped lip. Would look more period correct on our cars.

Quick Reply: 993 Gemballa wheels by Speedline on eBay